Peace's Reads 2017

Peacefield

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh what a wonderful looking home you are going to have...love the porch and all that lovely wood inside. It looks very well kept...how exciting for you. And happy reading in 2017.

Yay for you finally having a reading log again! :exc: 

Hello everyone!  I'm finally getting around to starting a book blog/thread for the new year, so here we go!  I've been busy, as usual, but tbh I've also been a bit apprehensive to start a thread because I know it will pale to everyone else's here!  Hopefully I'll still have visitors ;)

Don't you dare start your new beautiful thread with such a load of horse bollokks :D   :friends3:  Looking forward to hearing about all the books you read this year! 

See?  Isn't that sad?  13.5 books!  :lurker:  In truth, I don't have a lot of shelf space and I'm the type that buys a book and reads it right then, instead of accumulating them and picking what to read, you know?  

Even though I have a lot of books myself, I do like your sort of minimalistic and functional way of owing books and reading them. A huge TBR can feel daunting at times. 

A Man Called Ove Fredrik Backman

I loved this book! :smile2: How did you like it? 

But more importantly: congratulations on your new house!! It looks absolutely gorgeous :wub: I'm so jealous!! I love the look of it from outside, but it looks so beautiful on the inside, too. So spacious! And I love love love the porch!! I'm so happy for you!!  :friends3: 

Thank you so much everyone for the lovely comments!  I'm so looking forward to moving in and making it my own.  I'm also looking forward to living on a paved road again and being closer to town.  It's about an hour's drive from the big city, but I have a feeling I'll like small town living.

Frankie, I loved A Man Called Ove.  In fact, I saw a lot of myself in him :lol:  I'm younger, of course, but I do like things to be orderly and rules followed.  I wouldn't consider myself grumpy, but I do like things done a certain way.  

Now that I'll have a dedicated reading area in the new house I may adopt a more "LET'S BUY ALL THE BOOKS!!" attitude, you never know! :lol:

Speaking of, I had to give up on A Great and Terrible beauty, for now.  It just wasn't grabbing me and when I sat and thought about reading, I could tell I wasn't excited to pick it up, so I knew it was time to move on.  Yesterday I started Mercy Falls and I can tell it's going to be much more enjoyable!  

I managed to get quite a bit of reading in over the weekend and am almost halfway through Mercy Falls.  I like these intense, suspenseful reads everyone once in awhile!

I'm heading into the cities this weekend to meet up with some friends and colleagues.  My friends and I will be going to the local book shop to find books on traveling the British Isles, since we have officially booked our trip for this fall!  The plan now is ambitious, but we hope to visit England, Scotland and Ireland.  We'll be there the first 2 weeks of September and now that we have our plane tickets it finally seems real! :lol: I'd love to meet up with some of you for coffee, but that's up in the air since I don't know yet where we'll be and I'll be traveling with two other people.  I will keep you posted :D

Hey Peacefield, what a nice blog :) I read and adored the Gemma Doyle trilogy when I was about... hmmm, 14 maybe? I want to give it a re-read soon and see if I still enjoy them as much. Maybe even this year, although they're definitely Autumn books for me, so I'll wait. 

How did you like Armada? I read Ready Player One some years ago and loved it, but heard some bad things about Armada so I never picked it up...

I managed to get quite a bit of reading in over the weekend and am almost halfway through Mercy Falls.  I like these intense, suspenseful reads everyone once in awhile!

I'm heading into the cities this weekend to meet up with some friends and colleagues.  My friends and I will be going to the local book shop to find books on traveling the British Isles, since we have officially booked our trip for this fall!  The plan now is ambitious, but we hope to visit England, Scotland and Ireland.  We'll be there the first 2 weeks of September and now that we have our plane tickets it finally seems real! :lol: I'd love to meet up with some of you for coffee, but that's up in the air since I don't know yet where we'll be and I'll be traveling with two other people.  I will keep you posted :D

How fantastic that you'll be travelling to the Uk, you must keep us Brits updated on your itinerary plans and let us know if you need any help/advice! :)

Hey, Sazed!  I absolutely loved Ready Player One, and can't wait for the film to come out.  Armada though, I think you're safe not ever picking it up.  Talk about a disappointment!  

I finished Mercy Falls late last night since I couldn't sleep.  It was excellent!  Some things I did not see coming, for sure.  I'll have to find something new to read this weekend when I'm in town :D.

I can't wait for our big trip!  Chaliepud, I am accepting all and any recommendations or tips.  We won't be spending much time in London, but instead will be taking the train everywhere else in the country and looking for out of the way places that aren't too overly tourist-y.  Like any villages or historical places that just can't be missed.  

I'm planning on visiting Dorset for sure, because of my family ancestry there, and have already found a church where they still use the same font as well as chalice as they used when my ancestors attended!  The website says that if they know a descendant of this person is attending services, they'll use the chalice for communion that day.  Amazing! :D

Thanks, Athena, I know I will have a great time!

I hope you don't mind me butting in, but I thought I'd give my opinion on Armada. I liked the book well enough, though it wasn't nearly as good as Ready Player One in my opinion. I found myself a copy at the library and was able to read it for free, I figured - why not give it a shot? I went in with low expectations and ended up enjoying the book. Though I do agree that Ready Player One is definitely a better book.

Hey, Sazed!  I absolutely loved Ready Player One, and can't wait for the film to come out.  Armada though, I think you're safe not ever picking it up.  Talk about a disappointment!  

I finished Mercy Falls late last night since I couldn't sleep.  It was excellent!  Some things I did not see coming, for sure.  I'll have to find something new to read this weekend when I'm in town :D.

I can't wait for our big trip!  Chaliepud, I am accepting all and any recommendations or tips.  We won't be spending much time in London, but instead will be taking the train everywhere else in the country and looking for out of the way places that aren't too overly tourist-y.  Like any villages or historical places that just can't be missed.  

I'm planning on visiting Dorset for sure, because of my family ancestry there, and have already found a church where they still use the same font as well as chalice as they used when my ancestors attended!  The website says that if they know a descendant of this person is attending services, they'll use the chalice for communion that day.  Amazing! :D

I have yet to read a Krueger book that I didn't like. I have enjoyed them all to date.

I will most definitely give Armada a miss then :D

A film??? I've somehow never heard about that happening, but you've got me more than excited now. I'll go an google it immediately haha!

I love Dorset, it's one of my favourite counties.  where are you planning on visiting there?

• 2 months later...

Morning, everyone.  After a couple of month absence I think I'm finally back in the right place to post here again.  I've had more things on my mind than ever and it's been good for me to unplug and be amongst the birds and the trees during most of my downtime.  It's now getting warmer here too so I've enjoyed quite a few afternoons out by the lake!

I close on my house in a week's time, and I'm mostly packed up already.  I can't wait to be settled and have my things back and out of storage, including my books!  

I apologize for never answering your last post, Madeleine.  I'm mainly looking forward to visiting Weymouth while in Dorset.  My Sprague ancestors came to Salem, Massachusetts from there so I'm looking forward to learning more about it.  I also saw the first season of Broadchurch this winter and I think that took place in Dorset?  It was beautiful! :lol:

I haven't been able to finish a physical book since A Man Called Ove, but am now listening to Arcadia by Iain Pears and trying A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin again.  The former I read previously but since it's one of my most favorite of all time I thought it would be nice to listen to.

On 2.2.2017 at 3:58 PM, Peacefield said:

Frankie, I loved A Man Called Ove.  In fact, I saw a lot of myself in him :lol:  I'm younger, of course, but I do like things to be orderly and rules followed.  I wouldn't consider myself grumpy, but I do like things done a certain way.  

I've missed this before! :(  I'm really really happy you loved the book and the character! :lol: He's a bit of a curmudgeon and yet he's adorable :smile:

4 hours ago, Peacefield said:

Morning, everyone.  After a couple of month absence I think I'm finally back in the right place to post here again.  I've had more things on my mind than ever and it's been good for me to unplug and be amongst the birds and the trees during most of my downtime.  It's now getting warmer here too so I've enjoyed quite a few afternoons out by the lake!

Glad to hear you're getting nicer, warmer weather and can appreciate the spring and everything coming to life again. I can relate :smile:  

4 hours ago, Peacefield said:

I close on my house in a week's time, and I'm mostly packed up already.  I can't wait to be settled and have my things back and out of storage, including my books!  

The waiting before getting to move... I get really really impatient in times like that. It'll seem like ages... But the time will come. I wish everything goes smoothly during the actual move :smile:

On 4/13/2017 at 1:52 PM, Peacefield said:

I apologize for never answering your last post, Madeleine.  I'm mainly looking forward to visiting Weymouth while in Dorset.  My Sprague ancestors came to Salem, Massachusetts from there so I'm looking forward to learning more about it.  I also saw the first season of Broadchurch this winter and I think that took place in Dorset?  It was beautiful! :lol:

A lot of Broadchurch is filmed in West Bay, Dorset, which is just over half an hour away from Weymouth by car.  My avatar is taken in Burton Bradstock which is the next bay down from West Bay, and I've spent a lot of time in West Bay so I know it well!  All the beach and seafront scenes are West Bay, as is the harbour and police station.  The town, market and shops scenes, most of the scenes at people's houses and the church are in North Somerset, which is a couple of hours away from Weymouth. :smile:

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone :).  I leave tomorrow after work and will stay at a friend's before my closing on Thursday.  By this time on Friday I'll be in my home, probably impatiently waiting for the internet/cable guy to come and install everything.  

Thanks for letting me know about West Bay, Chesil!  We haven't worked out our trains yet, and honestly I'll probably be asking for tips, but I really hope we can get to those seafronts and beaches.  Funnily enough, I also have ancestors who came from Ash, Somerset to the US. 

When we arrive, we plan on leaving straight away and go north and move counter-clockwise up through Scotland, Ireland, and back to England.  So we'll most likely end our journey in Dorset during the week of 10th Sept (before spending 1 or 2 days in London).  Lots of planning left to do, and after the house thing is settled I'll really be able to dig into it.

• 1 month later...

hey are you all settled by now? How about some more photos. What are you reading now? I am into the Longmire Mysteries and I think you would also like them. Time though for me to read another 1 or 2 William Kent Krueger books. Hope things are going well with you. 

We will be going to a wedding in MN in Sept. Hope it isn't too cold. :)

Edited by muggle not