• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,411 posts
  • Reading now?:sooo far behind.....
  • LocationNorth of Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana, USA

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:46 PM

I may have just ordered Nightwalker... don't tell anyone!  :D

:D   Right you are!

As I mentioned in the thumbnail sketch above, it's the second of his I've read.  I just ordered a third..... The Child.  /humming/ :)

This has happened to me too :yes:.

Glad you read two enjoyable books :).

Thanks, Gaia!  It sorta feels as though I'm getting back in the groove. :)

You've had some great reads so far this year :D

I'm extremely jealous of all your new purchases too. 

I've been pretty lucky in finding stuff lately.  I was on a slump for a long time. /phew/

#62 pontalba

pontalba

Nabokovian

• Advanced Member
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:45 AM

I am not much of a fan of Alternative History stories.  In any time frame, recent or not.  But I was drawn into reading one about President John F. Kennedy.  Why?  /sigh/  Darned if I know.  I suppose the mystique of the Kennedy Years, plus I remember vividly the horror of seeing the ZapruderTape, and the Warren Report.  Not to mention the days long, seemingly endless television coverage of the flight back to Washington D.C., and the funeral.  God, the funeral.  :(

Anyhow, the idea of what Kennedy might have managed with a second term, how the country would have prospered under a second Kennedy term was practically irresistible.  /more sighing/

So.

If Kennedy Lived: The First and Second Terms of President John F. Kennedy: An Alternate History by Jeff Greenfield 3/5

I'd have preferred a more personal story, not what I found to be a bit cut and dried notion of Kennedys political life/possibilities. And to be honest rather Pollyanna(ish) in conclusions.

The majority of the names were familiar to me, but for someone not around then they came way to fast and furious to be effectively integrated into the story.

There was a bit toward the beginning, and I'll paraphrase, that spoke of how thankful they were for the rain and bubble top that day, that the alternative (the truth) would have been too awful to contemplate.

This reminds me of time travel stories where someone goes back to right a wrong, and either enable what happened, or Time readjusts to bring about the same results. I love time travel tales, but this alternative history story doesn't move me to search for more like it.    

Edited by pontalba, 21 March 2017 - 02:46 AM.

#63 pontalba

pontalba

Nabokovian

• Advanced Member
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:52 AM

Also read Crossover (STNG) by Michael Jan Friedman 4/5 for what it is.  A great combo of the old and the new of Star Trek.  Brings back Bones and Scotty, not to mention centering around Spock and his Reunification mission.  Nicely done.  If you are a Star Trek fan, you'll enjoy it, otherwise.....maybe not.

Have started Paris Nocturne by Patrick Modiano.    Unreliable narrator, stream of consciousness. 

#64 Athena

Athena

Readaholic, BookWorm & BookEater

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts
  • LocationHelmond, the Netherlands

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:05 AM

What do ya know, I actually own Crossover! I own some Star Trek novels but most of them are Deep Space Nice or Voyager.
I'm glad you enjoyed it :). I'm now in season 5 of watching TNG. I think I'll enjoy the book too then when I get around to reading it :).

#65 pontalba

pontalba

Nabokovian

• Advanced Member
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:35 PM

What do ya know, I actually own Crossover! I own some Star Trek novels but most of them are Deep Space Nice or Voyager.I'm glad you enjoyed it :). I'm now in season 5 of watching TNG. I think I'll enjoy the book too then when I get around to reading it :).

Yay! :D. We are also watching ST:TNG, only in the first season.

#66 pontalba

pontalba

Nabokovian

• Advanced Member
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:36 PM

The Girl in the Spider's Web by David Lagercrantz. 2/5 (if that, I'm being kind)

I really wanted to love this addition to the excellent Millennium series by Steig Larsson. Instead I only made it to 33%, cringing most of the way. The factoids are all there, but Lagercrantz's addition lacks the heart that Larsson put into his characters. They are cardboard, the plot is formulaic in the extreme, and I couldn't have cared less about their fates.

Not recommended.

#67 Michelle

Michelle

The Boss!

• Admin
  • 9,464 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:15 PM

The Nightwalker by Sebastian Fitzek 5/5

Chilling. Twisted. Loss of self. Treachery. Cross, double-cross.

Keeps the reader guessing until the very end......and past.

As with the only other Fitzek book I've read ( Therapy ), I read this one in one sitting. Fortunately I'd already eaten.

Recommended, but be sure to have dinner first....... :)

I ended up staying up late to finish this one.. definitely lots of twists and turns! 

Spoiler
It's definitely one to think and talk about though!

#68 pontalba

pontalba

Nabokovian

• Advanced Member
  • 6,411 posts

Posted Today, 01:35 AM

I ended up staying up late to finish this one.. definitely lots of twists and turns! 

Spoiler
It's definitely one to think and talk about though!

:D. Glad you enjoyed it.....
Spoiler

I've got his The Child, it just arrived. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users