pontalba

pontalba's 2017 reading list

84 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, pontalba said:

The Mists of Avalon by M.B. Zimmer  3/5

I read this book many years ago when I was a teenager. I liked it at the time, though I didn't love it. I'm not sure how it would hold up today, whether I'd still like it, but I plan to re-read it some day and we'll see then.

I'm glad you had some nice reads :).

I`ve got The Mists of Avalon in my TBR ; I liked the TV adaptation (Edward Atherton, Michael Vartan ) :)

On 4/18/2017 at 7:44 PM, pontalba said:

The Mists of Avalon by M.B. Zimmer  3/5

A retelling of the Arthurian Legend through the Lady of the Lake's and her acolytes eyes.  I've had the book for at least 10 years, maybe more.  My now husband sent it to me before we lived in the same city. :) 

It was an interesting version, albeit very different to Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy.  Stewart's was told through a very human Merlin and I absolutely fell in love with it.  Zimmer's version certainly has it's human aspects, but the backdrop of magic is more apparent and more........raw, I think.  There is a great deal of Christian bashing, and considering some of the "Christians" she ran into, well deserved.  It's not a spoiler to say though that in the end the Lady sees the good side of Christianity and while certainly not converted,  she is content living cheek and jowl with it.

The only reason for my lower rating is that I found the story too drawn out, an editor could have cut some without losing any of the ambiance.

Zimmer's work is certainly worth reading, but a much better Arthurian writer is the little-mentioned Parke Godwin. You might like to try him.

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 1:59 AM, Athena said:

I read this book many years ago when I was a teenager. I liked it at the time, though I didn't love it. I'm not sure how it would hold up today, whether I'd still like it, but I plan to re-read it some day and we'll see then.

I'm glad you had some nice reads :).

Thanks, Gaia! :) 

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 9:56 AM, Little Pixie said:

I`ve got The Mists of Avalon in my TBR ; I liked the TV adaptation (Edward Atherton, Michael Vartan ) :)

I'll have to look for it, maybe Amazon..... ;)

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 3:54 PM, Lilliputian said:

Zimmer's work is certainly worth reading, but a much better Arthurian writer is the little-mentioned Parke Godwin. You might like to try him.

I'll have to look him up.  Thanks. :) 

Await Your Reply by Dan Chaon 5/5

What a sleigh ride! Numerous narrators, some seeming reliable, some obviously unreliable, timelines that skitter all over the place and somehow Chaon brings them all together so we the reader finally understand how these characters connect. The clues are all there, scattered throughout the story if only we have the wit and clarity to notice them while holding on for dear life in our toboggan.

Con men, gangsters, murderers and the like populate the story that is, in the end, about identity. How we view ourselves and others, how even our nearest and dearest don't always know what is driving us. Chaon also tackles the idea of what we consider "normal" as opposed to......not.

The Greg Iles one sounds very promising. To the wish list it goes!

Two more to add to the list! :)

As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust by Alan Bradley 4/5

A nice addition to the Flavia series.  I don't know if it's just me, but I think the author is tending more toward Young Adult type stories here.  I know some criticized Bradley for making Flavia "too adult".  I disagree with that theory, but apparently he has taken it to heart.  I preferred her character as it was previously.  All in all though a pleasing entry.  I already have the next in the series, we'll see if Bradley continues this tendency. 

In this story, Flavia is banished to the wilds of Canada to a girls private school which happened to be attended by her Mother as well.  The secret society plot line continues with some interesting additions.  Recommended for series fans.

How Dogs Love Us:  A Neuroscientist and His Adopted Dog Decode the Canine Brain by Gregory Berns  5/5

Berns combines science and his love of dogs beautifully in this wonderfully told story of how he managed to successfully get MRI scans of dogs.  Not of sedated or unconscious dogs, but dogs trained to remain still long enough for the scans to take place.  No Easy Feat!! 

Lots of real science, so if you are bamboozled by science.......read it anyhow and skim the science-y parts. :)  A definite must for dog lovers!

How Dogs Love Us sounds interesting, I shall add it to my list :).