pontalba's 2017 reading list

pontalba

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 4:06 AM, Athena said:

Hi Kate, good to see you again :)! I'm glad you read some nice books. I hope all has been well with you and yours?

Hey Gaia, thanks....yeah, I've been reading more the last few days and really enjoying it.  Sometimes we get away and stuck on bingeing on Netflix.  lol

Both fine here, just putting along. :)

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:39 AM, Madeleine said:

I got fed up with Sue Grafton's series around R, still have the first few letters of the alphabet to read though!

Oddly enough, I'd originally started with R, didn't care much for it but somehow I later began at the beginning and enjoyed them all the way up to S, as mentioned above.  But now I'm pretty much finished with the series.  But, I won't say I'll never read the rest.  Just not in the foreseeable future. 

12 hours ago, Nollaig said:

Bit behind on this, but delighted you loved Bird Box. It's one of my favourite horrors. Did you know they're making it into a movie? No idea how that's gonna work, though low production value if it's a black screen for 90 mins :D

@bobblybear you do have a point with your spoiler, I can see how that would be offputting for some people. I usually like things to be revealed, but I was okay with it in this book!

12 hours ago, Michelle said:

I'm excited about the film.. which also means I'm nervous about it too! @Nollaig - I love the idea of a black screen for 90 mins! :D

That makes two of us!  I can't wait to see how they present it.  Nollaig, have you read The Silence by Tim Lebbon?  It was great, and BB, we did see the monsters! :) 

11 hours ago, Nollaig said:

@Michelle It would definitely be an experiment! But I suspect we'll see the people wearing blindfolds and the 'threat' will be just out of shot all the time.

Silent Voices by Ann Cleeves 5/5

I love this series. Vera is absolutely marvelous in her slightly crumpled way. Most would be felons/murderers, etc. drastically underestimate her, to their detriment and final sorrow. Cleeves' writing and descriptive powers had me stuck right in the thick of the elements, and her humor is giggle worthy just when one probably shouldn't.

It's a grim enough tale. Woman found dead in the steam room of what happens to be Vera's latest venture into "healthy living". Naturally Vera finds her and the convoluted chase begins. Twisting first this way, then another, Vera and her Sargent Joe follow a decades old mystery.

If you've seen the BBC Vera series and enjoyed it, you'll love these stories.

Also finished The Late Show by Michael Connelly also a 5/5

Its the first of his new series about (another LAPD) detective, Renee Ballard.  They call the late night, all night shift "the late show", and she's been banished there because she called out a superior of hers for sexual harassment.  The only witness refused to back her up in the complaint so she lost her place in the day shift.  But in all truthfulness, she loves the shift.  The story revolves around two cases that come her way. 

There is lots of character building and much grist for later stories.  Ballard's personality is beautifully crafted and Connelly does an excellent job of showcasing the underbelly of Los Angeles.  I had to laugh, they even mention Bosch. 

Edited by pontalba

I think I remember the TV version of Silent Voices - I have the Vera books but they seem to film them quite quickly before I read them!  Unlike Shetland which has deviated completely from the Perez books.  Brenda Blethyn is great as Vera, so shambolic, and she seems nice in real life too.

13 hours ago, pontalba said:

Hey Gaia, thanks....yeah, I've been reading more the last few days and really enjoying it.  Sometimes we get away and stuck on bingeing on Netflix.  lol

Both fine here, just putting along. :)

I'm glad to hear that :)!

On 26/07/2017 at 10:58 PM, pontalba said:

That makes two of us!  I can't wait to see how they present it.  Nollaig, have you read The Silence by Tim Lebbon?  It was great, and BB, we did see the monsters! :)

I have indeed read The Silence, enjoyed it a lot. :)

On 2017-7-26 at 10:58 PM, pontalba said:

I've read The Silence....I think I read it based on Nollaig's recommendation. I really enjoyed that one, I can still remember certain sections quite vividly.