Featured Author - Stuart MacBride

Kell

I totally agree with you Louise, still not sure about Robbie Coltrane playing Insch though, but can't think of another to quote "very tall and very wide" actor.

THink RC is a bit too cuddley somehow need someone with a bald head and big.... possibilities in the world cup final?!?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where have you attended book festivals about and given talks? Just wondered if you would consider 'Winter Words' (usually held in the Spring) at Pitlochry theatre maybe not this time but in the future? (Have contacts there)

ok how about this then

Insch-Donald Sinden

Miller-Martin Shaw

Watson-Blythe Duff

Logan-John Michie

Steele-Helen Mirren

Er... I'm afraid Blythe Duff's got about 20 years on Watson (who should be round about 26-ish)

And Donald Sinden for Insch...? Have you been drinking?

And MARTIN SHAW as Miller? That's not drink talking, that's something way stronger.

Time to seek professional help, Burghead Lass ;}#

Where have you attended book festivals about and given talks? Just wondered if you would consider 'Winter Words' (usually held in the Spring) at Pitlochry theatre maybe not this time but in the future? (Have contacts there)

Hey Inver,

I've done a few festivals: Harrogate, Edinburgh, Kilmarnock, North Lanarkshire, Bristol,Inverness, Aberdeen... Oh, I'm such a hussy.

If you like crime festivals then I can wholeheartedly recommend Harrogate - it's a very good way to meet and hang out with the very best in the genre. I can't big it up enough.

And Winter Words sounds interesting - the best bet would be for your contacts to give HarperCollins a shout as they tend to organise all that kind of thing for me. I am but their humble, dancing monkey!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again, Stuart. Seeing as how it's the last day of the month, I thought I'd ask a couple more questions:

What do you enjoy most about writing? And do you enjoy things like books signings / readings / meeting your fans?

Hello again, Stuart. Seeing as how it's the last day of the month, I thought I'd ask a couple more questions:

Glad you did, Kell, I was beginning to think nobody loved me.

What do you enjoy most about writing? And do you enjoy things like books signings / readings / meeting your fans?

To be honest, after completing the latest book (FLESH HOUSE) it's hard to think of anything I enjoy about it at all. Well, I say completing, but there's still the line edit to go through yet. But once I've forgotten the nine months of torture and misery, I'll be back to the fun bit again: 'making shhhhhhh up'.

Honestly, that's the best bit about writing, taking all the little voices in your head and forcing them into something you didn't know existed before.

And I do enjoy meeting the people who buy the books. Signings can be a hit or miss thing - I once sat in the lobby of a draughty Costco in Glasgow for hours and hours, listening to the rain hammering on the roof, and only managed to shift about three books. Mind you, things like that do keep you from getting a big head, I suppose.

Readings depend very much on the audience. If you get a good audience then it's a lot of fun, if you get a load of people who just sit there like poached fish it becomes a struggle to get any sort of atmosphere going. Luckily that doesn't happen too often.

Reading groups are always fun. Especially as there's usually someone who turns up that hated something. Ah, the joys ;}#

Glad you did, Kell, I was beginning to think nobody loved me.

Not at all - I would have asked 20 questions a day, but I didn't want to monopolise the thread and come across like a crazy "Annie-Wilkes-from-Misery" type stalker fan! :lol: I'm a big fan, but I promise I'm not insane, nor am i prone to kidnapping my favourite authors - I wouldn't have room for them all in my small flat and my husband might complain! ;)

Reading groups are always fun. Especially as there's usually someone who turns up that hated something. Ah, the joys ;}#

Not exactly a book group, but several members from The Posh Club book group in Aberdeen (myself, Purple Poppy and Amy) occasionally meet up for a coffee and book chat on a Saturday at The Cellar (Provost Skene's House), so if you're ever in the vicinity around 11am-ish, please do pop in and say hi! It'd make our day!

And I promise, none of us are crazy-types. :D

To be honest, after completing the latest book (FLESH HOUSE) it's hard to think of anything I enjoy about it at all. Well, I say completing, but there's still the line edit to go through yet. But once I've forgotten the nine months of torture and misery, I'll be back to the fun bit again: 'making shhhhhhh up'.

I can hardly wait for the next book to come out (and I know both my mother and grandma are also eagerly awaiting it too!). When is it due?

And a BIG thank you from me too - it's been great having you here, Stuart. I hope you'll still visit every now and then, at least to give us updates on forthcoming books!

Thank you all for having me (in a non-dirty sense), and asking questions.

And Kell - FLESH HOUSE will be out in May 2008, with a very different (to the Aberdeen books) novella out in July called SAWBONES. Which was a lot of fun to write. Nice and short, and more than a little twisted.

You all have a good weekend, OK?

Arrabest,

Stuart