Poppyshake's Reading Year 2017

poppyshake

12 hours ago, poppyshake said:
Some sentences on books that didn't exactly set me alight. Please excuse me if I'm just a bit brutal. Time has done nothing to heal the wounds of disappointing reading.

:( I'm sorry your reading hasn't been great lately. I hope you read some more enjoyable books soon :hug:.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poppy, I was wondering the same thing about Marian Keyes.  I read "Mercy close" and ended up skimming the second half - it was just boring, and the main mystery seemed to take second place to everything else, and the mystery was very weak as well. Very disappointing.

You're not alone Poppy; on the two books I know, I didn't think you were being brutal at all!

I'm a great fan of Sherlock Holmes, but he is much better in the short story format than in the novels.  I don't think it's chance that really only The Hound of the Baskervilles is well-known amongst his novels (but I'm not a fan), the other three receding somewhat into well-deserved mists of obscurity.  A Study in Scarlet sometimes emerges, but only because it's the one where Holmes and Watson meet up.  I'm not a fan of short stories, much preferring the novel format, but the Holmes stories are the one, huge, exception to that rule for me: they are genius at the short story level, but otherwise meh!  The Sign of Four is mediocre at best (as is The Valley of Fear).

I also agree with you on The Time Machine, but then that one has never worked for me, and marked me sufficiently that I've never tried any of Wells's other science fiction.