Early look: Strange The Dreamer by Laini Taylor

Michelle

I know that Laini Taylor has a very strong fan base, but when this book was offered through Vine, I hadn't read any of her previous books, despite them being on my wishlist. I therefore didn't know what to expect from her writing.

The very first chapter quite simply blew me away.. it read so beautifully, with a dreamlike quality which immediately made me want to read more.

From this, it switches to tell the story of Lazlo Strange, an orphan raised in a monastery. He is already obsessed with a lost city, now known only as Weep, and when a twist of fate leads him to become a junior librarian, this obsession grows as he gathers all he can find, be it knowledge or story. When presented with an opportunity to find out more, alongside the hero known as the Godslayer, will fate allow him to follow his dreams?

Next we're introduced to a strange citadel and it's blue-skinned inhabitants, who have their own fascinating history and story to tell.

Then, of course, everything starts to come together, and the full story is told. I'm starting to see reviews crop up which outline much of the story and plot, and my advice is to avoid these.. part of the joy of my reading experience was to discover each part as it was presented to me, bringing together the various strands in the way they were supposed to be.

In summary, this is a beautifully written spell-binding tale, combining magic and fantasy, love and hate, dreaming and nightmares. I miss the world so much, I've ordered myself a signed hardback, and I simply can not wait for the second part.

[i believe Laini Taylor is a YA author, but this has been listed on amazon under fantasy and I really don't think I'd catagorise it as YA. In fact, I've started Daughter of Smoke and Bone, and that does have a YA feel.. whereas I believe Strange the Dreamer is going to have a much wider appeal.]