Defender by G X Todd

I was lucky enough to receive an early copy of this quite a while ago, but I've struggled with how to review it. Not because it's not good.. I actually bought myself a signed special edition hardback because I liked it so much.. but because it's a difficult one to put into words.

The author puts you straight into the middle of her world.. a world where the majority have died, due to the voices in their head.. voices which have caused suicide or murder. This is information is fed to the reader gradually, so we're not entirely sure at the outset what has happened, and yet the world still feels realistic and believable.

The main character is Pilgrim, a complex loner who hears a voice in his head, but isn't controlled by it. It's a great pairing, Pilgrim works his way into your head (sorry!), and his voice adds a dry wit which kept me smiling, despite the darker parts of the book.

There is certainly is plenty of darkness - imagine a world where most are dead, and there are no longer any rules.. there's a lot of violence and cruelty. Despite this though, the brightness shines through, especially in Lacey, a teenage girl who has been sheltered on her grandmother's farm.. and also through Alex, a woman who has been through, and goes through, so much.. and yet keeps an amazing strength.

This is the first book in the 'Voices' series, in which I assume we will find out more about past events, and the world we now find ourselves in. I was pulled in by the author's writing, and her characters, and I can't wait to find out what's next!