Chaliepud's 2017 Reading Log

chaliepud

Nice challenge! Some of the categories look a lot easier than others. I think I've only once seen my first name used as a character name in a book (well, technically seen it was maybe two or three times, but all three books were part of the same series so :P). And a place you plan to visit this year, those choices would be pretty limited here as well. I wish you good luck with your challenge :)!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck with your reading challenge.

As a side note, I missed the jellycat plush earlier - that's made me very happy as my old housemate had a Jellycat bunny which I adored and wanted one of, but I completely forgot the name of the company! Must get one after payday. :D

Just a little thought on your query ref the shop - I have a lovely little play farm with an indoor play area and animals outside near us. As for what is in the shop id say some pocket money toys or 'cheaper' toys would be good in my books as my little one always goes for a big expensive toy. The place near us has little toys like small tractors and trailers and animals which are about £5 and these are brilliant for saying hes not having a big toy but can pick one of them instead!

Also books about farms are really good I find! I'm jealous - it sounds like such a fun oppertunity!

I did this challenge for another book forum, it's good fun, I didn't fill all the categories and kept it to one book per category (although some people didn't!). Good luck, some categories are easier than others.

They are indeed, I need to start looking for books with a character named Hayley in them! :D

Nice challenge! Some of the categories look a lot easier than others. I think I've only once seen my first name used as a character name in a book (well, technically seen it was maybe two or three times, but all three books were part of the same series so :P). And a place you plan to visit this year, those choices would be pretty limited here as well. I wish you good luck with your challenge :)!

I want to visit Highgate Cemetary so I may start there, I've already read Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger so I need to see if any other author has set a book there.

Or maybe the Imperial War Museum, that may be mentioned in a book?

Good luck with your reading challenge.

As a side note, I missed the jellycat plush earlier - that's made me very happy as my old housemate had a Jellycat bunny which I adored and wanted one of, but I completely forgot the name of the company! Must get one after payday. :D

They do so many different ones, some crazy ones too, look up http://www.jellycat.com/chelsea-chicken-che2ch/

Think I need to get some of these, though not sure how many kids will like these though!

Edited by chaliepud

I want to visit Highgate Cemetary so I may start there, I've already read Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger so I need to see if any other author has set a book there.

Or maybe the Imperial War Museum, that may be mentioned in a book?

I want to go to Highgate too.    :)

Just a little thought on your query ref the shop - I have a lovely little play farm with an indoor play area and animals outside near us. As for what is in the shop id say some pocket money toys or 'cheaper' toys would be good in my books as my little one always goes for a big expensive toy. The place near us has little toys like small tractors and trailers and animals which are about £5 and these are brilliant for saying hes not having a big toy but can pick one of them instead!

Also books about farms are really good I find! I'm jealous - it sounds like such a fun oppertunity!

Thanks Laura, I had a couple of deliveries yesterday and we had some £5 tractors! Some with trailers, also some little Landrovers which are great, and will hopefully be popular! Also had lots of pocket money toys too, like these:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=spikey+farm+puffer&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#imgrc=fxulPSjHIafSRM%3A

and:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=knitted+bounce+balls&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#imgrc=jkLBdDgS_qaIgM%3A

Both less than £3 so should be popular!

They do so many different ones, some crazy ones too, look up http://www.jellycat.com/chelsea-chicken-che2ch/

Think I need to get some of these, though not sure how many kids will like these though!

I would love that one for my mum, she likes all things chicken. She has chicken plates, cups, gloves, trays, various chicken statues / figures, etc., and even some chicken plushies I bought for her.

Thanks Laura, I had a couple of deliveries yesterday and we had some £5 tractors! Some with trailers, also some little Landrovers which are great, and will hopefully be popular! Also had lots of pocket money toys too, like these:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=spikey+farm+puffer&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#imgrc=fxulPSjHIafSRM%3A

and:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=knitted+bounce+balls&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#imgrc=jkLBdDgS_qaIgM%3A

Both of those things look so cute and colourful :)!

I think that chicken is really cute actually haha! I don't particularly want a plush chicken, but as plush chickens go I think he's doing fairly well :D

I think the bashful beige bunny is the one I want, though there's a cream one with floral inner ears I like too. Might get both hehe. I love those kind of floppy rabbits with the long ears because they remind me of the velveteen rabbit (one of my favourite stories), even though he looked quite different.

and:

Those little things look great! Pocket money toys are a huge hit in my book - cheap on the pocket and I'm also not too bothered if he breaks them!

I would love that one for my mum, she likes all things chicken. She has chicken plates, cups, gloves, trays, various chicken statues / figures, etc., and even some chicken plushies I bought for her.

Both of those things look so cute and colourful :)!

I hve a friend the same, it was her birthday yesterday so got her a lovely card with lots of chickens on it, from the gift shop of course!! :D

I think that chicken is really cute actually haha! I don't particularly want a plush chicken, but as plush chickens go I think he's doing fairly well :D

I think the bashful beige bunny is the one I want, though there's a cream one with floral inner ears I like too. Might get both hehe. I love those kind of floppy rabbits with the long ears because they remind me of the velveteen rabbit (one of my favourite stories), even though he looked quite different.

We have had the Bluebell and Tulip Pink Bashful Bunnies and they have both been very popular, this is my latest favourite though - http://www.jellycat.com/cordy-roy-fox-roy3fx/

Those little things look great! Pocket money toys are a huge hit in my book - cheap on the pocket and I'm also not too bothered if he breaks them!

Absolutely, I think parents appreciate it them, the bigger toys are generally for gifts or more spoilt kids!! I'm always amazed at how hard some parents find it getting through the shop without buying something though, some of the little lovelies are often dragged out screaming! :(

£26 is a lot for a chicken!

I'd probably pay £22 for this though!  :blush:  :wub:

Oh, he is very sweet, I may have to pop him on the next order!!! :D

I hve a friend the same, it was her birthday yesterday so got her a lovely card with lots of chickens on it, from the gift shop of course!! :D

We have had the Bluebell and Tulip Pink Bashful Bunnies and they have both been very popular, this is my latest favourite though - http://www.jellycat.com/cordy-roy-fox-roy3fx/

Oh oh I actually have something very like him! It was a hot water bottle cover, but I liked him so much as a plush I took the bottle out and stuffed him. It was given to me as a present as I love foxes but it came from Primark :)

I'd probably pay £22 for this though!  :blush:  :wub:

So cute :wub:!! 

That's so nice :)!

I'm not keen on foxes myself, because they have eaten some of our chicken (so it's personal!), but that's a nice plushie of a fox :).

I absolutely adore foxes - I understand why they're a pest for farmers, but they're such beautiful animals :wub:

Me too, they can't help being the way they are, it is hard to educate wild animals as to what behaviour is acceptable in their local community. :P  I sometimes leave a couple of eggs out for our local ones as they love them. I have to be careful though as Jojo is not so keen on the little creatures and even my cat will chase them away; can be a funny sight, the fox scales our 6 foot fence and runs along the top, closely followed by the cat who is, in turn, closely followed by the dog.  :blush2:

Oops, tried to be too clever with the quoting frankie, but I'm sure you get the gist! :D

I saw this and thought what is chalie talking about, the quotes are fine, and normal and not any cleverer than usual...? And then I remembered seeing you in Ben's thread, reiterating Ben's request for fixing one's quotes :D

You are certainly smart enough to follow the storyline and I know the subject matter will interest you. Faulks is very wordy but I found it so compelling that the story flew by! :)

Thanks for having the confidence in me :D I'll try!! I should make a priority reading list for the year... That's actually a good idea! I'll put Human Traces on it. That's not a promise to read it, though, but I'll put it on the priority list so at least there's a chance that I'll get to it. My mojo's been mostly okay with thrillers these days, nothing more than that :unsure: 

I don't actually watch it for exactly that reason! :o

I can totally understand that! 

Of course, though I suspect they tend to film out of normal working hours. Jojo and I are there Tuesday for her physio so we will keep our eyes peeled! :)

And then of course should something happen

I'm not sure any Vet can deal with Obi these days! :o:D

:giggle2: Obi is one of a kind! Oh that reminds me!! I saw an Australian Cattle Dog today! It was gorgeous :smile2: But it was a bit odd... I would think that those dogs cost quite a lot of money, especially over here, more so than other, more common dogs. So I was a bit surprised to see someone who was drunk at 10 AM walk the dog. (I had to go groceryshopping at a specific place for work, and alcoholics and drug addicts hang out next to the place, so I see them every time I'm there.... I don't mean these exact folks, because I haven't seen that dog before. I've seen one other dog before... He's gorgeous! And such a well behaved dog. I always want to pet him but I don't know how he'd react to strange people coming over to say hi... )

I do love it, the animals should be here in the Summer, I doubt I'll be working with them but I'm sure I will be able to get more than my share of cuddles! :wub:

Yeah I wouldn't expect you to get to work with them but I'm sure you'll be able to go and say hellooooo :smile2: Oh boy you're going to have such fun!! :smile2: 

I saw this and thought what is chalie talking about, the quotes are fine, and normal and not any cleverer than usual...? And then I remembered seeing you in Ben's thread, reiterating Ben's request for fixing one's quotes :D

I'm trying again now but I am such a technophobe I scare myself! My boss asked me to prepare an Excel document and could't understand why I laughed at her! :D

Thanks for having the confidence in me :D I'll try!! I should make a priority reading list for the year... That's actually a good idea! I'll put Human Traces on it. That's not a promise to read it, though, but I'll put it on the priority list so at least there's a chance that I'll get to it. My mojo's been mostly okay with thrillers these days, nothing more than that :unsure:

I'll send positive thoughts, I felt it flowed very well, although not an exciting read,more slow and deliberate. I know that psychology interests you so hopefully it will hold your mojo, I learnt so much from it about the early days of effective (and non-effective) psychotherapy/psychiatry.

:giggle2: Obi is one of a kind! Oh that reminds me!! I saw an Australian Cattle Dog today! It was gorgeous :smile2: But it was a bit odd... I would think that those dogs cost quite a lot of money, especially over here, more so than other, more common dogs. So I was a bit surprised to see someone who was drunk at 10 AM walk the dog. (I had to go groceryshopping at a specific place for work, and alcoholics and drug addicts hang out next to the place, so I see them every time I'm there.... I don't mean these exact folks, because I haven't seen that dog before. I've seen one other dog before... He's gorgeous! And such a well behaved dog. I always want to pet him but I don't know how he'd react to strange people coming over to say hi... )

Wow, they are pretty rare everywhere except in Oz and NZ, I hope he was well cared for, maybe if you see the owner with him you could ask if he is friendly and get talking about my two. Most are friendly towards people but they can be protective, and perhaps one belonging to a vulnerable person could be more so. When I visit London I often make sure I have a few doggie biccies in my pockets to share with the dogs of homeless people as they often get overlooked. :(

Yeah I wouldn't expect you to get to work with them but I'm sure you'll be able to go and say hellooooo :smile2: Oh boy you're going to have such fun!! :smile2:

I'm sure I could work with them but as I don't have any animal care qualifications I would probably only be able to clean up poop and feed, not really my vocation, I can do that at home! :D Maybe in time I will try something but I think I'll be content with cuddling and helping out if they need any babies bottle feeding etc, wouldn't that be lovely?! Hopefully you'll visit us at some point and I'll be able to introduce you to the animals! :wub:

Edited by chaliepud

1.  The Letter - Kathryn Hughes

Goodreads synopsis:

Kathryn Hughes’ new ebook The Letter offers readers a chance to absorb themselves in the lives of two women, born decades apart but whose lives share a number of parallels. The novel explores two historical strands, bringing together an abused housewife from the 1970s and a young girl from the early 1940s in a story of love, loss and unexpected consequences.

The Letter follows the life of Tina in the 1970s who seeks respite from her abusive marriage by volunteering at a charity shop. One day, while sorting through the pockets of a second-hand suit, she comes across an old letter. It is still firmly sealed and un-franked. Unable to resist the pull of curiosity, Tina opens the letter. It was written on 4th September 1939. She is so moved by the contents and bemused as to why the letter was never delivered, she embarks on a quest to find out what became of the writer and his intended recipient.

The mystery of how this love letter ended up in Tina’s hands is also uncovered through Billy’s story from the early 1940s. He writes a letter that will change his life forever, unaware that it will not be read for another 34 years, and then by a complete stranger.

With a swift pace, memorable characters and a wonderful conceptual depth, Hughes’ novel is one that simply can’t be put down.

Goodreads average rating 3.87

My rating - 3 stars (feeling generous!)

This book receives varying reviews, I've seen some raving ones and others far less complimentary, clearly a book that divides opinion. I was drawn to the dual timelines, one of them set in World War One, one of the historical settings I enjoy the most.

The premise is interesting and the subject matter not light (teenage pregnancy, domestic abuse, adoption) but the writing simply didn't do it justice, it was far too light. There were way too many coincidences, it seemed like they were needed to keep the story together, as if the author couldn't find another way to make it work, it almost felt like the author has not spent enough time planning a beginning, middle and an end to the story!

I was probably a little generous with the three star review, in hindsight it was more of a two, but it mainly held my interest and was an easy read so it gets a little credit for that.

UPDATE

A book you read in school
A book from your childhood
A book published over 100 years ago
A book published in the last year
A non-fiction book
A book written by a male author - Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleave
A book written by a female author
A book by someone who isn’t a writer - When Breath Becomes Air - Paul Kalanithi
A book that became/is becoming a film
A book published in the 20th Century
A book set in your hometown/region