Chaliepud's 2017 Reading Log

chaliepud

2. Everyone Brave is Forgiven - Chris Cleave

Amazon synopsis:

In a powerful combination of both humour and heartbreak, this dazzling novel weaves little-known history, and a perfect love story, through the vast sweep of the Second World War - daring us to understand that, against the great theatre of world events, it is the intimate losses, the small battles, the daily human triumphs, that change us most.

My thoughts: (quotes in bold)

We live, you see, and even a mule like me must learn. I was brought up to believe that everyone brave is forgiven, but in wartime courage is cheap and clemency out of season.

I fancied this book from the moment I saw it on a new releases list early in 2016, of course, being set in my favourite era, WWII helped! The story centres on May and her three friends; Hilda, Tom and Alastair, May is a young socialite in 1939 when war breaks out, highly spirited and forward for the time and she isn’t afraid to voice her opinion and stand up for others., immediately volunteering to help with the war effort, ending up teaching which wasn’t her first choice!

Cleave did not hold back in dealing with sensitive subjects throughout the book, racism, sexism and other prejudices are at the forefront along with class barriers and post traumatic stress, however it is dealt with intelligently and not merely written about so as to shock the reader, clearly a lot of research was done and in the Afterword Cleave talks about how the book was inspired by his families experiences of the time – his own Grandfather was stationed in Malta during the war and a fair section of the book covers the British Army being trapped there, low on food and other supplies, an area of the war I knew little about before reading this.

Despite having read a fair amount (mainly fiction) about the London bombings I also learnt more about them, Cleave using language that shocked and spoke all too truthfully about the horrors that Londoners faced at the time, interjecting humour here and there to lighten the mood.

I was shocked by the racism that black Londoners suffered (also the ‘afflicted’ and ‘handicapped’), Mary, like the majority of us today, could not see why they should be treated differently to anyone else and made great efforts to teach these children.

“It was simply a peculiarity of the British that they could be stoical about two hundred and fifty nights of bombing, while the sight of her with a Negro child offended their sensibilities unbearably.” (Mary)

“Oh, I hope I don’t teach. Because look what we did: we saved the zoo animals and the nice children, and we damned the afflicted and the blacks. You know what I do every day in that classroom? I do everything in my power to make sure those poor souls won’t learn the obvious lesson.” (Mary)

All in all a reasonably slow paced character driven book in the main, exploring relationships, and how they change when under extreme pressures, the characters and the writing are memorable, and realistic. I particularly enjoyed May and Hilda’s friendship, both rather critical of one another and yet fiercely loyal all the way.

“Well, we want different things from men. You earnestly want someone who will help you reform society,” said Hilda.

“Whereas you…?...just want a tall man and a stiff drink. You could even swap the adjectives,” Mary smiled.

Beautifully written, this will stay with me for a long, long time.

5/5

Edited by chaliepud

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you enjoyed the Chris Cleave Hayley. I've read 'The Other Hand' and 'Gold' (I have Gold if you wanted to borrow). I too enjoyed his writing. This one sounds good too.

Edited by Inver

Glad you enjoyed the Chris Cleave Hayley. I've read 'The Other Hand' and 'Gold' (I have Gold if you wanted to borrow). I too enjoyed his writing. This one sounds good too.

Thanks, Diane, it was fantastic! I'll hold off borrowing for the moment, I am committed to lowering my TBR this year and have managed to not acquire any books this month! :doowapstart:

I'm trying again now but I am such a technophobe I scare myself! My boss asked me to prepare an Excel document and could't understand why I laughed at her! :D

:D 'Would you like it boiled, steamed or fried, and how about garlic?' :D Don't be afraid of the quote system, though, because it can't erase anything off your computer or smash the hard drive or anything: the worst you can do is end up with a funny looking post! The rest, well, I won't say more in case you do something completely whack and fudge up the whole computer :D 

Wow, they are pretty rare everywhere except in Oz and NZ, I hope he was well cared for, maybe if you see the owner with him you could ask if he is friendly and get talking about my two. Most are friendly towards people but they can be protective, and perhaps one belonging to a vulnerable person could be more so. When I visit London I often make sure I have a few doggie biccies in my pockets to share with the dogs of homeless people as they often get overlooked. :(

S/he seemed normal weight enough and from what I saw in such short period of time, her/his fur was fine, so at least that's good. I'll keep an eye out for him. But like you said, I don't like to approach the dogs of people who drink, because I know their dogs may be overprotective. I love it that you bring extra doggie biccies in your pockets in case you see dogs who need one.  :flowers2:  :friends3:

I'm sure I could work with them but as I don't have any animal care qualifications I would probably only be able to clean up poop and feed, not really my vocation, I can do that at home! Maybe in time I will try something but I think I'll be content with cuddling and helping out if they need any babies bottle feeding etc, wouldn't that be lovely?! Hopefully you'll visit us at some point and I'll be able to introduce you to the animals! :wub:

That would be amazing... Oh boy! :smile2: I'm so happy for you! And it would be wonderful if I could visit! :smile2: I'll need to start saving money :D 

1.  The Letter - Kathryn Hughes

I started to get interested in this, while reading the synopsis, but then read your thoughts on it :D I think I won't add this to my wishlist... 

The reading challenge that you're doing looks really interesting! I hope you have a lot of fun with it :smile2: 

:D 'Would you like it boiled, steamed or fried, and how about garlic?' :D Don't be afraid of the quote system, though, because it can't erase anything off your computer or smash the hard drive or anything: the worst you can do is end up with a funny looking post! The rest, well, I won't say more in case you do something completely whack and fudge up the whole computer :D

Ha! Like a few years ago when I managed to delete all our family photos off the laptop? :o

/he seemed normal weight enough and from what I saw in such short period of time, her/his fur was fine, so at least that's good. I'll keep an eye out for him. But like you said, I don't like to approach the dogs of people who drink, because I know their dogs may be overprotective. I love it that you bring extra doggie biccies in your pockets in case you see dogs who need one.  :flowers2:  :friends3:

Someone has got to look out for the needy doggies! :)

would be amazing... Oh boy! :smile2: I'm so happy for you! And it would be wonderful if I could visit! :smile2: I'll need to start saving money :D

Yep, less buying books, and more saving! :D

started to get interested in this, while reading the synopsis, but then read your thoughts on it :D I think I won't add this to my wishlist...

I don't blame you, it was ok, but a little dull!

reading challenge that you're doing looks really interesting! I hope you have a lot of fun with it :smile2:

Thank you, maybe it will encourage me to read some of the books that have been on my TBR a while! :)

Ha! Like a few years ago when I managed to delete all our family photos off the laptop? :o

Um... Yeah maybe no :unsure:  :hide:   Oh chalie  :empathy:     That would definitely make one a bit more cautious and scared! 

Someone has got to look out for the needy doggies! :)

Most definitely!  :friends3: 

Yep, less buying books, and more saving! :D

Yes! And you know what is the best place to track one's saving? BuJo :D  :writing: 

Well, I managed to buy NO books in January! Yay!! And read 4, not great stats but ok. I have just bought a book as it was one I had pre-ordered, Mischling by Affinity Konar, but I am pretty sure it is one I will want to keep so I'm not disappointed in myself, highly recommended by Weave too! :) 

Well, I managed to buy NO books in January! Yay!! And read 4, not great stats but ok. I have just bought a book as it was one I had pre-ordered, Mischling by Affinity Konar, but I am pretty sure it is one I will want to keep so I'm not disappointed in myself, highly recommended by Weave too! :)

Well done, chalie!!  :clapping:   No books bought and 4 books read in January is great stats in my book! :smile2:  And a pre-ordered book back from when you'd not gone on a book buying ban sort of thing doesn't really count! 

Here's hoping February will be another great month  :readingtwo:

Well done on not buying any books in January! I hope you enjoy your new pre-ordered book :).

Thanks Gaia, I think it is definitely one I'll be reading soon! :)

Well done, chalie!!  :clapping:   No books bought and 4 books read in January is great stats in my book! :smile2:  And a pre-ordered book back from when you'd not gone on a book buying ban sort of thing doesn't really count! 

Here's hoping February will be another great month  :readingtwo:

Thanks frankie, I'm certainly enjoying reading at the moment though suspecting I won't get as much read in February as Steve will be home for 10 days and kids off for a week, I'll do my best though! Happy reading to you too.  :friends3:

Whoo, well done indeed !  :D

Thank you Pixie, you are a reading inspiration! (Buying not so much  :giggle2::smile:  :readingtwo:  :smile:

Congratulations on the dry January!  I know that's usually used for not drinking, but really, buying books is just as enticing to us, isn't it? :giggle2:

Indeed! Not sure I could give up either for long!!  :giggle:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, there will be no dry February, my Mother-in-law helps run a HUGE book fair in Surrey at her church than runs over 3 days - and over 70,000 books! - we couldn't not visit! Sadly, I only had 45 minutes there and it was very busy so I couldn't rummage as much as I would have liked, but I managed to come away with 10 books:

Gold - Chris Cleave

Mudbound - Hillary Jordan

Midwives - Chris Bohjalain

Winter in Madrid - C.J. Sansom

Drowning Ruth - Christina Schwarz

Before the Storm - Judith Lennox

The Resurrectionist - James Bradley

Born Survivors - Wendy Holden (N-F)

The Thyroid Diet - Mary J. Shomon (N-F)

Now aiming for a dry March!!! :)

Congrats on your haul, that's really good value! :D

Indeed, I don't feel bad about it at all! :)

That's a good haul, and a great price.

Thanks Madeline. :)

Enjoy your new books ! I`ve read Winter in Madrid and quite liked it. :)

Thanks L.P, I'm looking forward to it! :)

In more book buying news, I found an Amazon code I hadn't used so bought three more books...well, it is still February!  :D

Hold Back the Stars - Katie Khan

It Ends With Us - Colleen Hoover

The Penguin Book of First World War Poetry

Happy days! :)