Chaliepud's 2017 Reading Log

chaliepud

So, how often does this book fair happen??  :D That was extremely good value, you definitely shouldn't feel guilty :P  

I've read The Resurrectionist and found it a bit strange to be honest but I do think it's worth trying, it's quite unique. Without giving away any spoilers, there's a very interesting twist at the end!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, how often does this book fair happen??  :D That was extremely good value, you definitely shouldn't feel guilty :P  

I've read The Resurrectionist and found it a bit strange to be honest but I do think it's worth trying, it's quite unique. Without giving away any spoilers, there's a very interesting twist at the end!

I like strange, and dark, so sounds like a possible hit!  :D

The Epsom Book Fair is once a year so that's it for a while...I did google other book fairs but nothing nearby which I am trying to be grateful for! :)

March WILL be a no book buying month! Honestly!! .........  :P

I think I've read 3 out of your above list...Gold, Midwives, and Drowning Ruth. Good stash there... :D 

I liked 'Gold' and 'Midwives' (think I read this one twice, once my accident but good second time too). I can't remember much about 'Drowning Ruth', so obviously one that didn't make an impact.

I've got Resurrectionist somewhere, I thi k it was a Richard and Judy book way back when.

I enjoyed Drowning Ruth, great setting.

I liked 'Gold' and 'Midwives' (think I read this one twice, once my accident but good second time too). I can't remember much about 'Drowning Ruth', so obviously one that didn't make an impact.

Thanks ladies, I need to spend less time online and more time reading! :D

• A book you read in school
  • A book from your childhood
  • A book published over 100 years ago
  • A book published in the last year
  • A non-fiction book
  • A book written by a male author - Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleave
  • A book written by a female author
  • A book by someone who isn’t a writer - When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi
  • A book that became/is becoming a film
  • A book published in the 20th Century
  • A book set in your hometown/region
  • A book with someone’s name in the title
  • A book with a number in the title
  • A book with a character with your first name
  • A book someone else recommended to you
  • A book with over 500 pages - Our Song by Dani Atkins
  • A book you can finish in a day
  • A previously banned book
  • A book with a one-word title - Mischling by Affinity Konar
  • A book translated from another language
  • A book that will improve a specific area of your life
  • A memoir or journal
  • A book written by someone younger than you
  • A book set somewhere you’ll be visiting this year
  • An award-winning book
  • A self-published book

• 1 month later...
Splitting into two posts, as I was getting a server error with the post before (Admin aware):

Bit of an update; how is your challenge going Diane, @Inver? I may need some help with some of the characters, particularly in finding a book with a character with my first name, it would have to be spelt correctly too, I couldn't read a whole book with a Hailey or a Haley! :o Maybe I should use my middle name instead! Plenty of Elizabeths in literature! :P
  • A book you read in school
  • A book from your childhood
  • A book published over 100 years ago
  • A book published in the last year - It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover
  • A non-fiction book
  • A book written by a male author - Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleave
  • A book written by a female author
  • A book by someone who isn’t a writer - When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi
  • A book that became/is becoming a film

• A book set in your hometown/region
  • A book with someone’s name in the title
  • A book with a number in the title
  • A book with a character with your first name
  • A book someone else recommended to you
  • A book with over 500 pages - Our Song by Dani Atkins
  • A book you can finish in a day
  • A previously banned book
  • A book with a one-word title - Mischling by Affinity Konar
  • A book translated from another language
  • A book that will improve a specific area of your life
  • A memoir or journal
  • A book written by someone younger than you
  • A book set somewhere you’ll be visiting this year
  • An award-winning book
  • A self-published book

2 hours ago, Janet said:

I just Googled "novel with a character named Hayley" and resolved to check only the first 10 pages of results (I was watching a film so was multitasking!  :D ) - the one you've ordered was on P5 - the other on P7.  :)

Now that's dedication, I obviously didn't get that far! :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey chalie, how are you? :friends3:     

I was just watching an episode of Survivors, where they said 'you can't judge a book by its cover'. As I'm used to reading subtitles even though I can understand what's being said, there was the Finnish equivalent to the saying, and it made me think of you. We nowadays could also say one shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but the original Finnish equivalent would go 'Ei ole koiraa karvoihin katsominen' which literally means you shouldn't look at dog's hair [to judge him by it]. I thought this bit of info might interest you and amuse you :D 

On 29 April 2017 at 7:22 PM, frankie said:

Hey chalie, how are you? :friends3:     

I was just watching an episode of Survivors, where they said 'you can't judge a book by its cover'. As I'm used to reading subtitles even though I can understand what's being said, there was the Finnish equivalent to the saying, and it made me think of you. We nowadays could also say one shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but the original Finnish equivalent would go 'Ei ole koiraa karvoihin katsominen' which literally means you shouldn't look at dog's hair [to judge him by it]. I thought this bit of info might interest you and amuse you :D 

All good here, thanks @frankie :) 

Ha! I'm not sure I could judge a dog by it's hair, but how funny! The amount Obi leaves around the house it is a good job I don't judge him by it though! :D 

A book you read in school

A book from your childhood

A book published over 100 years ago

A book published in the last year - It Ends With Us - Colleen Hoover

A non-fiction book

A book written by a male author - Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleave

A book written by a female author - The Italian Girl - Lucinda Riley

A book by someone who isn’t a writer - When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi

A book that became/is becoming a film

A book published in the 20th Century

A book set in your hometown/region

A book with someone’s name in the title

A book with a number in the title

A book with a character with your first name - The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson (thanks @Janet)

A book someone else recommended to you

A book with over 500 pages - Our Song by Dani Atkins

A book you can finish in a day

A previously banned book

A book with a one-word title - Mischling by Affinity Konar

A book translated from another language

A book that will improve a specific area of your life - Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms by Datis Kharrazian

A memoir or journal

A book written by someone younger than you

A book set somewhere you’ll be visiting this year

An award-winning book

A self-published book

Edited by chaliepud

On 1.5.2017 at 9:48 PM, chaliepud said:

Ha! I'm not sure I could judge a dog by it's hair, but how funny! The amount Obi leaves around the house it is a good job I don't judge him by it though! :D 

:lol::lol:  Obi's one lucky dog :D  

On 1.5.2017 at 9:49 PM, chaliepud said:

A non-fiction book

A book written by a female author

A book by someone who isn’t a writer - When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi

A book that became/is becoming a film

A book with a character with your first name - The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson (thanks @Janet)

A previously banned book

A book that will improve a specific area of your life - Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms by Datis Kharrazian

A memoir or journal

An award-winning book

A self-published book

You're already so far along with this challenge, and I feel like you only just started! Good job Haylie! :clapping::D

On 7 May 2017 at 8:17 AM, frankie said:

You're already so far along with this challenge, and I feel like you only just started! Good job Haylie! :clapping::D

One more to add now - 

A book written by a female author - The Italian Girl - Lucinda Riley, it's going to start getting harder now though! :o

:):):) 

Edited by chaliepud

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding my bookie challenge, I've only read 10 books but have managed to add 9 to the challenge. I've been changing the actual categories around a bit though, some I don't think I would do. Check out my list on my book blog to see what I've put in the categories. I've doubled up on two but think 'The Nightingale' will replace one I have in 'animal' in the title.

On 28 May 2017 at 9:40 PM, Inver said:

Regarding my bookie challenge, I've only read 10 books but have managed to add 9 to the challenge. I've been changing the actual categories around a bit though, some I don't think I would do. Check out my list on my book blog to see what I've put in the categories. I've doubled up on two but think 'The Nightingale' will replace one I have in 'animal' in the title.

Thanks @Inver, I haven't really changed my categories, more trying to read books that fit them, will see how it goes, I don't generally do well with challenges as I prefer to read what I fancy when I fancy it! :) I'm currently on 18 book read this year but only 9 off the list. :)

An update:

A non-fiction book

A book written by a female author - The Italian Girl - Lucinda Riley

A book that became/is becoming a film - The Boy on the Bridge by M.R.Carey (assuming!)

A book with a character with your first name - The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson (thanks @Janet)

A previously banned book

A memoir or journal

An award-winning book

A self-published book

• 2 weeks later...

Currently reading Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I'm enjoying it but can't say I agree with many reviewers who rave about it, the writing is a little wooden I feel and the first part of the story was distinctly unbelievable and dull. Yes, there is the exciting romance but it is getting rather repetitive! It flows so I think I'll finish it but perhaps she could have gor the whole story done in under 800+ pages?! :D 

I've been meaning to start the Outlander series for a while now. So far I haven't, yet. I watched the TV show but didn't 100% like it, I think I'd prefer the book over the TV show though so will start it some time and hopefully enjoy it :).

Sorry to hear the beginning of the book was dull for you :(. I hope you enjoy the rest of the book :).

The TV show hasn't been shown in the Uk, except on Amazon Prime which I don't have - think it's a bit unfair especially as it's filmed here (well Scotland which is still part of the UK!).