Which online bookstores do you use?

Michelle

Online Book Buying  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which online book stores do you use?

• Amazon
    • Book Depository
    • Wordery
    • Waterstones
    • B&N
    • Other

I seem to be having some issues with a couple of online book sites - Blackwell's suddenly seems to be charging extortionate prices for ordinary paperbacks, and Abe books seems to think I now live in Italy, and charges postage accordingly!

Is anyone else having issues like this?  I've checked my details and they're correct.  I used to order regularly from Blackwells - until about a month ago- but now they seem to have gone crazy!  The currency on my account comes up in Euros, so I change it back go GBP each time but the prices are still ridiculous.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Madeleine said:

I seem to be having some issues with a couple of online book sites - Blackwell's suddenly seems to be charging extortionate prices for ordinary paperbacks, and Abe books seems to think I now live in Italy, and charges postage accordingly!

Is anyone else having issues like this?  I've checked my details and they're correct.  I used to order regularly from Blackwells - until about a month ago- but now they seem to have gone crazy!  The currency on my account comes up in Euros, so I change it back go GBP each time but the prices are still ridiculous.

Maybe an IP issue? I know sometimes when I browse websites at work it thinks I’m in the USA due to the network routing.

16 hours ago, Madeleine said:

That’s really weird. I just checked Blackwells and it’s still coming up ‘free UK delivery’ for me! I agree with Brian that it sounds like an IP issue, especially if it’s happening on multiple sites. Did you get any new web security recently? 

2 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Possibly, but not sure why it's suddenly changed, I did change my provider but that was several weeks before this started happening.

The IP address from your post resolves back to Italy.

• 2 months later...
22 hours ago, KEV67 said:

I closed my Amazon account, but one thing they have is excellent delivery. I ordered a book from WOB (World of Books) on 1st December, and I am still waiting for it. I suppose Royal Mail's industrial action does not help.

Yeah, that’s probably having a big impact. I’ve generally had fast delivery from World of Books! 

I know a lot of people are trying to avoid using Amazon these days (and justifiably so), but I’m not going to lie, I do predominately use them for most things including books, purely because they’re cheaper, deliver quickly and in my experience are reliable.

1 hour ago, Kudz said:

I know a lot of people are trying to avoid using Amazon these days (and justifiably so), but I’m not going to lie, I do predominately use them for most things including books, purely because they’re cheaper, deliver quickly and in my experience are reliable.

I seem to have missed something here, why are people trying to avoid using Amazon?

47 minutes ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I seem to have missed something here, why are people trying to avoid using Amazon?

A lot of people within the book community are avoiding them and are trying to buy solely from independent bookstores as they are one of the reasons why a lot of bookstores are going out of business because they just cannot compete with Amazon’s prices. I guess the same could be said for all types of stores though, not just bookstores. However, Amazon are notorious for treating authors badly so again this seems to be a pretty big reason within the book community to try and avoid buying from them.

On top of the above you also have issues such as tax avoidance and the fact that they apparently treat their staff poorly…plus of course there are the usual privacy concerns too. 

3 hours ago, Kudz said:

A lot of people within the book community are avoiding them and are trying to buy solely from independent bookstores as they are one of the reasons why a lot of bookstores are going out of business because they just cannot compete with Amazon’s prices. I guess the same could be said for all types of stores though, not just bookstores. However, Amazon are notorious for treating authors badly so again this seems to be a pretty big reason within the book community to try and avoid buying from them.

On top of the above you also have issues such as tax avoidance and the fact that they apparently treat their staff poorly…plus of course there are the usual privacy concerns too. 

I see. Yes, a concern for all. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am a bit annoyed with World of Books. The book I ordered on 1st December has not even been sent yet. I am not sure it has even been printed. It is quite low volume, Ælfric's Homilies, but if it is print-to-order then I do not think they made it clear. My DVD of Barbarians has not arrived neither. Royal Mail left a note to say they tried to deliver it, but took it back to the collection. Went to the collection depot today and they are on strike. If it is one DVD then why couldn't they put it through the letter box? I cannot help thinking Royal Mail are cutting their own throats. I used a new service called InPost to send a parcel to my mother. I would usually use Royal Mail for letters and cards, but I will see what the alternatives are.