Little Pixie`s Bookshelf 2017

Little Pixie

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Books read : 10                        TBR 875              New Books Bought : 11                       Total Cost : £ 12.60

I popped into the Save the Kitties shop ( there was a Guide Dog in Training, looking at the books :D ) and got some books , 50p each. :)

You and Your Money - Alvin Hall

The King`s Curse, the Lady of the Rivers, The White Queen - Philippa Gregory

The Remake - Clive James

I also ordered a couple of memoirs by Rita Mae Brown - Animal Magnetism ( £2.81 ) and Rita Will : Memoir of a Literary Rabble Rouser ( £3.64 ).

I`m currently re-reading Book 20 of the Mrs Murphy Mysteries ; a review once I`ve finished the series. 

:)

Edited by Little Pixie

50p! What a bargain :D. I hope you enjoy all of your new books!

And look books read vs. books bought isn't too bad. You've only bought 1 more book than you've read (of course, it's also 10% :P).

How many books are there in the Mrs Murphy Mysteries?

50p! What a bargain :D. I hope you enjoy all of your new books!

How many books are there in the Mrs Murphy Mysteries?

Thanks ! :)

Mrs Murphy - there are 26 books now ;  I read them in paperback, and book 25 comes out this May. 

And look books read vs. books bought isn't too bad. You've only bought 1 more book than you've read (of course, it's also 10%  :P).

Oh dear.....  :hide:  :giggle2:   Amazon UK have a special offer today : Spend £50 and get £10 off as a thank you. I may have viewed that as a command rather than a suggestion.  :giggle:

I`ll put my new books up when the excitement of saving £10 has dissipated.  :D

Mrs Murphy - there are 26 books now ;  I read them in paperback, and book 25 comes out this May.

Wow, that's a lot of books! I hope you'll enjoy book 25 :).

Oh dear.....  :hide:  :giggle2:   Amazon UK have a special offer today : Spend £50 and get £10 off as a thank you. I may have viewed that as a command rather than a suggestion.  :giggle:

I`ll put my new books up when the excitement of saving £10 has dissipated.  :D

That's a great offer :D! I look forward to see what you've bought :).

:lol: You're not going to get chastised here LP. My plan to not book buy this year is going AWFULLY anyway. :P

:giggle2:   I was doing so well ; I was even thinking ` so, I`ve bought 10 books this month, that`ll equate to `only` 120 books for the year`. And now that`s out of the window.  :giggle:

Wow, that's a lot of books! I hope you'll enjoy book 25 :).

That's a great offer :D! I look forward to see what you've bought :).

Thanks. :)

I`d actually bought books the day before on Amazon - fortunately, there was still time to go in and cancel them, then reorder them ( with more books ) to qualify for the offer. :)

Riding Shotgun, Starting from Scratch - Rita Mae Brown ( £2.81),(£2.99)

The Amethyst Spectacle - Frances Crane (£3.30 )

The Hollow Man - John Dickson Carr ( £2.81)

Bodies in a Bookshop - RT Campbell (£2.85)

Saturday the Rabbi went Hungry - Harry Kemelman (£2.81)

Christmas Caramel Murder - Joanne Fluke  (£6.56)

Quick Curtain - Alan Melville (£2.81)

Unbinding the Heart - Agapi Stassinopoulos ( £2.80)

The Complete Peanuts Vol 26 - Charles M Schulz ( £14.88)

Thirteen Guest - J. Jefferson Farjeon ( £2.81)

Edwin of the Iron Shoes - Marcia Muller (£2.81)

Big Magic - Elizabeth Gilbert (£6.29)

Murder is a Collector`s Item - Elizabeth Dean (£6.12)

Hats Off, Joyce by Herself and her Friends - Joyce Grenfell (£2.19),(£2.81)

Books read : 22                        TBR 891              New Books Bought : 27                       Total Cost : £ 80.35 - I had a £15 gift card and then £10 off, so it`s                                                                                                                                            really -         £55.35   :)                                                                    

They`re mostly vintage books from the `30s and `40s. :D                                                                                                                                                    

Edited by Little Pixie

:giggle2:   I was doing so well ; I was even thinking ` so, I`ve bought 10 books this month, that`ll equate to `only` 120 books for the year`. And now that`s out of the window.  :giggle:

Haha :giggle2:!

Books read : 22                        TBR 891              New Books Bought : 27                       Total Cost : £ 80.35 - I had a £15 gift card and then £10 off, so it`s                                                                                                                                            really -         £55.35   :)                                                                    

They`re mostly vintage books from the `30s and `40s. :D

I hope you enjoy all of them :D!

Little Pixie, your TBR made my head spin. I feel sooo much better about mine now. Good luck  :flowers2:

:giggle2:  Thanks :)

Er, I may have added to my TBR again.  :hide:

Mr Blandings Builds his Dream House - Eric Hodgins ( £2.81), The Most of Nora Ephron ( £3.97) .

Books read : 25                        TBR 893              New Books Bought : 29                       Total Cost :     £62.13

Must not buy any books at all in February....  :doh:  

Oddly, I`ve linked some of my book buying sprees to when I have migraines, so I`m going to keep an eye on the impulse control. :)

Edited by Little Pixie

I hope you like your new books :D.

Oddly, I`ve linked some of my book buying sprees to when I have migraines, so I`m going to keep an eye on the impulse control. :)

I tend to do more impulse buys if I'm feeling somewhat tired, then I'm less able to make a good decision about buying something. Good luck :)!

I hope you like your new books :D.

I tend to do more impulse buys if I'm feeling somewhat tired, then I'm less able to make a good decision about buying something. Good luck :)!

Thanks. :) Now that I`ve spotted it, I hope it`ll put a bit of a brake on book-buying. Plus, I`ve pretty much bought every book out there.  :giggle:

That`s interesting about your tiredness and impulse buys : I`ve seen things about starting the day off with a certain amount of self-control, which gradually gets ` eaten up` as the day goes on, and I`ve noticed myself buying books on Amazon just before bedtime. :smile:  

So, I started off the year with a big re-read, this time of Rita Mae Brown & Sneaky Pie Brown`s Mrs Murphy series., which took me from Book #1 - #26. 

Excerpt from first book, Wish You Were Here. 

`Harry` Haristeen ( Postmistress/ Farmer ) lives in Crozet, Virginia with her animals, notably Mrs Murphy ( tiger cat, clever, sassy ), Tucker ( corgi, loyal, bodyguard) and Pewter ( grey cat, rotund, drama queen, obsessed with tuna ). The animals talk to one another - not that the humans can understand them -  and go everywhere with their Mom - which means that they also stumble across dead bodies and then help to solve the murder mystery.  

The books rotate through the seasons ; I particularly like the Winter ones, which provide a real sense of being at the mercy of Nature. The books are charming and funny with a bit of bite, and have a huge cast of characters ; it`s as much about the people in the books and the changes they go through as about the mystery element.

It`s a delightful, fun mystery series. :)

That`s interesting about your tiredness and impulse buys : I`ve seen things about starting the day off with a certain amount of self-control, which gradually gets ` eaten up` as the day goes on, and I`ve noticed myself buying books on Amazon just before bedtime. :smile:

I've read about that too. I don't know if it's related or not, my tiredness is caused by input (sounds, sights, smells, etc). Self-control isn't always involved, sometimes I am somewhere and it's just noisy. Then I feel very tired afterwards and my decisions can be impaired, yet I didn't use lots of willpower to decide things (unless it's the willpower to be in the situation!). But that is interesting :). Because I know my decisions are impaired when I'm tired, I try not to order anything online later in the day (when I'm more tired), and generally I try to mull it over for a little while at least before I order it (ie. by putting things on my wishlist). But of course, when I find myself in a shop, then I have to make the decision right there or the book could be gone the next time you go there (ie. the charity shop, library sale, book fair).

26 books!! You've read a lot already :o.

#26   Aunt Dimity and the Summer King - Nancy Atherton

#27   The Lake Eden Cookbook - Joanne Fluke

#28   Lord of the Wings - Donna Andrews

#29   Relish - Lucy Knisley

#30   the Chinese Chop - Juanita Sheridan

#31   Displacement - Lucy Knisley

I`ve read 31 books this month, which I last managed in 2015.  :018:

I've read about that too. I don't know if it's related or not, my tiredness is caused by input (sounds, sights, smells, etc). Self-control isn't always involved, sometimes I am somewhere and it's just noisy. Then I feel very tired afterwards and my decisions can be impaired, yet I didn't use lots of willpower to decide things (unless it's the willpower to be in the situation!). But that is interesting :). Because I know my decisions are impaired when I'm tired, I try not to order anything online later in the day (when I'm more tired), and generally I try to mull it over for a little while at least before I order it (ie. by putting things on my wishlist). But of course, when I find myself in a shop, then I have to make the decision right there or the book could be gone the next time you go there (ie. the charity shop, library sale, book fair).

With used online books, I also think ` that book could vanish ! I must buy it now ! `  :doh:

The Chinese Chop - Juanita Sheridan

Published in 1949, this is touted as the first series to feature a Chinese - American female sleuth. It`s told from the POV of Janice Cameron, who`s recently left Hawaii for New York and is struggling to find a good place to live. Putting an advert in the paper, she`s contacted by Lily Wu , who needs a roommate for a new listing in a Washington Square boarding house. They realise they were acquaintances in Hawaii and Janice agrees to front for Lily in the negotiations with the Rental Company, in case the House owners are racist  and won`t rent to Lily - or so Janice is led to believe. Once they`ve moved in, Lily starts acting mysteriously and it isn`t long before there`s a murder in the house.... 

It`s a cracking start to the series and Lily and Janice are great characters. There`s some discussion of Lily`s Chinese heritage and of racism in general, and a lovely portrait of two single women experiencing big city life. :)