Little Pixie`s Bookshelf 2017

Little Pixie

17 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

I shall hope to be in the sort of receptive declutter-book-reading mood soon. :lol:  I also have the two Marie Kondo books and one by Julie Morgenstern.

I hope you will be :lol:. I've heard good things about those books :). I don't own them myself though. The ones I own are Kindle books I picked up for cheap or free, and paperbooks I picked up for little money (I hadn't heard anything about them, but at the time couldn't resist for the price). 

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Athena said:

I hope you will be :lol:. I've heard good things about those books :). I don't own them myself though. The ones I own are Kindle books I picked up for cheap or free, and paperbooks I picked up for little money (I hadn't heard anything about them, but at the time couldn't resist for the price). 

I have a few of those Kindle freebie decluttering books too. :)

5 hours ago, Madeleine said:

We didn't have the elections here.  Been dull and dreary all day!

There always next month....eek.

It feels like we've had 6 months of overcast ickiness here ; actually having a great day feels inspiring somehow. :)

On ‎4‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 2:16 AM, Little Pixie said:

That Mary Wesley book was from a neighbour ; I will eventually get to it ! I haven`t read any of her other books, but I liked that adaptation they did years ago of The Camomile Lawn. :)

My poor cat is having difficulty jumping onto the table now, cos the books are so high. :ph34r:

The Camomile Lawn is probably my favourite of hers. The TV adaptation I thought excellent and I've watched it several times, again just recently on Youtube :)

• 2 weeks later...

Using kindle to get up to date with books read, so apologies for autocorrect in advance. ;)

#75,#76.  A Taste for Murder, A Dash of Death - Claudia Bishop

#77.  An Uninvited Ghost - EJ Cooperman

#78.  She shall have Murder - Delano Ames

#79.  Old Haunts - EJ Cooperman

#80.  Recovering - May Sarton

#81.  Murder most Frothy -  Cleo Coyle

#82.  Ripper - Isabel Allende

#83.  But enough about me - Jancee Dunn

#84.  Silent Witness - Margaret Yorke

#85.  American Housewife - Helen Ellis

#86.  Reunion with Murder - Timothy Fuller

12 hours ago, Athena said:

You've been reading a lot of books :)! How is Xiao-Xiao?

She's far too hot in very little fur coat ; she's been out a lot today, hiding in shrubbery, and now ( when it's 28c in the house ) she's snoozing on one of the top platforms of her kitty activity centre :)

She hasn't felt like eating much, but it was the supermarket day yesterday, and she has some steak to eat as a treat, which has helped her appetite in the heat.

Oh, the lambs have gone back to their farm now. They did really well, including the sickly one ( she looked so much bouncing and healthier after all the TLC she got from the neighbours ).

How are you and your animals in this weather ? :)

Edited by Little Pixie

I can imagine she's hot, it's hot all over Europe. Awww, that sounds cute :). I'm sure she loved the steak  :).

So nice to hear about the lambs! I'm glad they are okay :).

My dog Boris is mostly staying indoors, it's just too hot for him outside. Pamuk spends her time alternating between lying in the sun and being inside to cool down. She likes to sunbathe. But when she gets too hot, she goes inside. A while later she'll want to go outside again. It's cute.

The chicken are okay as long as they have enough water to drink and some shade to stand under. Sometimes they sunbathe a little bit or take a sandbath. Lise seems okay too. It seems quiet today by the cycle path (Thu-Fri-Sat-Sun a long weekend here) so I've opened up her gate so she can walk around in a larger part of the garden.

18 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Aw, I love your animal update. :D 

28C outside today. The heat makes my back feel better.  :boogie:

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it :D.

That's one good thing about it :D!

Must get started on some reviews !:blush:

Ripper - Isabel Allende

Not magical realism, but a murder mystery with a touch of complementary medicine. Schoolgirl and Grandfather play an online game called Ripper, where they investigate old crimes. But then crimes start happening close to home...A fun premise, and I liked the characters. I'm not sure that the plot was quite tight enough. 

But enough about me - Jancee Dunn

Ex- Rolling Stone journalist`s memoir. There are some gossipy bits about famous people, but the main bits are about how she grew up in New Jersey, went to New York, travelled all over interviewing rock stars, and how she ended up going back to the values she was raised with. There are some lovely stories about her parents and sisters. Touching and very,very funny. :)

A Thousand pieces of you - Claudia Gray

The first in the Firebird series. Science-y urban fantasy.   Marguerite`s Father has been murdered and the killer, grad student Paul, has used Marguerite`s Mother`s invention - The Firebird - to cross into another dimension to escape. Luckily, there are more Firebirds, and Marguerite and Theo ( another grad student ) Chase after Paul. 

It's quite an info dump  at the start, and I found the first 100 pages a bit plot hole-y and complicated.. but then the real story gets going and I fell in love with the characters( even though it's the trite ` choosing between two men ` stuff ) and enjoyed where the story was going. It's quite a page turner with some well- imagined scenes. I wasn't quite convinced by the ending ; maybe it needed more of an explanation. 

Anyway, I've ordered the 2nd in the series. It wasn't perfect, but it was a nice,easy read, with a great concept.:)

Silent Witness - Margaret Yorke

1972-ish murder mystery set in the Alps. One of those books which you finish and find you've rather enjoyed it after all, if that makes sense. The ending felt a bit rushed, but I liked the quirky characters and the interaction between them. 

American Housewife - Helen Ellis

Collection of short stories. Funny, with black humour and a bit of bite. No idea how to describe them ; the stories stretch the format. One of them takes place as a series of emails, another is a monologue, where you gradually realise what's really going on, and there's a story where the writer is held hostage by the Publisher until she finishes her manuscript. :)

Books read : 74                        TBR 933              New Books Bought : 118                      Total Cost :     £340.21

Books bought :

Impossible Things , Remake- Connie Willis
But enough about me - Jancee Dunn
It`s all too much - Peter Walsh
The Black Curl , The Black Smith, The Blackout- Constance and Gwenyth Little
Hawthorn - Carol Goodman
Inspector Spectre , The Thrill of the Haunt, Ghost in the Wind- EJ Copperman
Silent Witness - Margaret Yorke
Devotion - Dani Shapiro
American Housewife - Helen Ellis
May Sarton Collected Letters 1955-1995
A Thousand Pieces of you ,Ten thousand Skies above you - Claudia Gray