Little Pixie`s Bookshelf 2017

Little Pixie

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Latest pic of the dining room table. 232 books. Started off the year with 198. Eep. No idea how that happened.... :ph34r:

BTW, the Murakami book Wind/Pinball comes with 3-D glasses for the exciting cover. :lol:

DSC00836.JPG

Edited by Little Pixie

#48   Murder is a Collector`s Item - Elizabeth Dean

#49   The best of Pat McDermott

#50   Family matters - Pat McDermott

#51   The Most of Nora Ephron,   #52   Sister Mother Husband Dog etc - Delia Ephron

Both excellent non-fiction collections, with a way of making you feel they`re chatting just to you. :)

#53   Doe this church make me look fat ? - Rhoda Janzen

The further non-fiction adventures of a lapsed Mennonite who joins the Pentecostal Church. Touching, funny, inspiring. 

#54   Notorious Nineteen - Janet Evanovich  

Meh. 

#55   Fundraising the Dead - Sheila Connolly

#56   Plant Dreaming Deep - May Sarton

Lovely journal of  poet May Sarton`s time in a small New Hampshire village. Living alone, she ponders the big questions, while describing the passing of the seasons. :)

#57   Night of the Living Deed - EJ Copperman

Cosy mystery. Alison and her daughter buy a fixer-upper on the Jersey Shore and work on turning it into a guest house. The place turns out to be haunted and Alison investigates the deaths of the ghosts. Very funny, with some superb twists. :D

#58   Glory in Death - JD Robb

#59   Underfoot in Showbusiness - Helene Hanff

Excellent. Very funny, non-fiction account of Helene Hanff`s time on Broadway ( or rather, trying to get there ) in the 1940s. 

#60   Death of an Englishman - magdalen Nobb

#61   Killer Librarian - Mary Lou Kirwin

Cosy mystery. Minnesota Librarian Karen gets dumped just before leaving for her trip of a lifetime, and decides to visit London alone. Staying in a small B&B, she gets up one morning to find a fellow guest murdered. A lovely, snuggly read. 

#62   Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides

Coming-of-age novel set amongst Greek-American community. Superb.

#63   The Serpent on the Crown - Elizabeth Peters.

Another goodie.

#64   Come, tell me how you live - Agatha Christie

Non-fiction account of Agatha Christie`s visits to Syria in the 1930`s, accompanying her archaeologist husband. :)

#65   Murder past due - Miranda James

#66  The martian - Andy Weir  ` 

Edge-of-the-seat thriller. Astronaut gets stranded alone on Mars and has to save himself. Just a wonderful read. :)

#67   Thirteen Guests - J Jefferson Farjeon

#68   Marjorie Morningstar - Herman Wouk

#69   The House by the Sea - May Sarton  

Poet May Sarton relocates to a secluded house in Maine, keeping this journal of her time there. Inspiring. :)

#70   The Ghost orchid - Carol Goodman

Writer Ellis is staying at a writers` retreat to work on her novel, about a real-life scandal and murder which happened in the 1920s at the very same retreat. As she researches the long ago events, ghosts from the past start affecting the present day....

#71    I knew a Phoenix - may Sarton

#72   Why is my Mother getting a Tattoo? - Jancee Dunn

Non-fiction. Hilarious essays on journalist Jancee Dunn`s family. :)

#73   Beastly Things - Donna Leonm

#74   The Missing Link - Katharine Farrer

Edited by Little Pixie

7 hours ago, Athena said:

Awesome :lol:!

Awesome pictures of your books and recent hauls :D. You got them for a pretty cheap amount of money :D.

I'm glad your reading is going well :D.

Thanks ! Yes, reading/buying is going well. :lol:

That is most definitely the kind of table I love!  All I would need is a tiny wee square of space to rest my cuppa - the rest BOOKS! :D

It is also lovely to see so many different covers next to each other - what a range. 

On 26/04/2017 at 5:57 PM, Chrissy said:

That is most definitely the kind of table I love!  All I would need is a tiny wee square of space to rest my cuppa - the rest BOOKS! :D

It is also lovely to see so many different covers next to each other - what a range. 

I`m wondering where I could squish in another bookcase. :lol: A book cull ( :hide: ) might be in order. 

21 hours ago, pontalba said:

Beautiful kitty, beautiful Japanese plum trees, and loverly book pics!  :wub:

Thanks . :D

And now...lovely lambs, courtesy of next door. :) They`re just over the fence ; one of them is a bit too teeny and might not  make it ( :( ) , but the others are nice and healthy. 

DSC00844.JPG

Edited by Little Pixie

10 minutes ago, Little Pixie said:

I`m wondering where I could squish in another bookcase. :lol: A book cull ( :hide: ) might be in order. 

Maybe there are some books you own you really didn't like? Or that you have no more interest in (re)reading? It's usually hard getting rid of books :(. But it would be nice if you had more space for more books you want :).

7 minutes ago, Little Pixie said:

And now...lovely lambs, courtesy of next door. :) They`re just over the fence ; one of them is a bit too teeny and might not  make it ( :( ) , but the others are nice and healthy.

Awww they're so cute :). We have lambs too a few houses down! I hope the little one will make it :(.

11 minutes ago, Athena said:

Awww they're so cute :). We have lambs too a few houses down! I hope the little one will make it :(.

Me too. :(

They`re so cute ; Xiao-Xiao`s a bit scared of them - they`re bigger than her and making that funny baaaa! noise. :lol:

Maybe there are some books you own you really didn't like? Or that you have no more interest in (re)reading? It's usually hard getting rid of books :(. But it would be nice if you had more space for more books you want :).

Yes to all of that. :D 

I think it would be nice to have books which reflect who I am and which I am excited about rereading, but right now, I`d rather read books than sort out books. :ph34r: I did have a look at some books yesterday which I`ll probably donate once I`ve read them... but I just wasn`t in the mood to read them at the moment. 

15 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

I think it would be nice to have books which reflect who I am and which I am excited about rereading, but right now, I`d rather read books than sort out books. :ph34r: I did have a look at some books yesterday which I`ll probably donate once I`ve read them... but I just wasn`t in the mood to read them at the moment.

That happens to me too. And then suddenly, perhaps after several years or such, I do find myself in the mood. It's not nice to read a book when you're not in the mood for it, so I don't blame you for not reading those books yet.

6 hours ago, Athena said:

That happens to me too. And then suddenly, perhaps after several years or such, I do find myself in the mood. It's not nice to read a book when you're not in the mood for it, so I don't blame you for not reading those books yet.

I might do a book roundup and at least get one pile together of books-maybe-for the charity shop. 

Hmm, there seem a lot of if/maybe/possibly words there. Right ! Next week - a book pile will be started ! :lol:

1 hour ago, Little Pixie said:

I might do a book roundup and at least get one pile together of books-maybe-for the charity shop. 

Hmm, there seem a lot of if/maybe/possibly words there. Right ! Next week - a book pile will be started ! :lol:

Haha :lol:!!

I`ve gathered 9 books - part of my ` don`t know if I`ll keep them once I`ve read them, New-to-me authors` pile. :)

I`ve also ordered Peter Walsh`s It`s all too much : a book about decluttering ( this might be a way of procrastinating about decluttering, by ordering a book and giving the semblance of doing something about clutter :lol:). 

On 15/04/2017 at 5:50 PM, Little Pixie said:

Death Knocks Twice - Robert Thorogood

I`m not sure this freebie can be right ?? :o

I've just looked at my orders (not for this) and noticed that it now says I've pre-ordered a free sample, not a full book.  :)  I've cancelled it.

3 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Quite tempted by this shower curtain.... :rolol:

Haha - that's funny!  :lol: 

15 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

I`ve gathered 9 books - part of my ` don`t know if I`ll keep them once I`ve read them, New-to-me authors` pile. :)

I`ve also ordered Peter Walsh`s It`s all too much : a book about decluttering ( this might be a way of procrastinating about decluttering, by ordering a book and giving the semblance of doing something about clutter :lol:). 

Well done :).

Haha, it looks like a good book though :). I hope it helps you. I own a few books on decluttering (not that I've read all of them yet), so I get wanting to get a book about it :).

14 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Quite tempted by this shower curtain.... :rolol:

That's hilarious :lol:!

17 hours ago, Janet said:

I've just looked at my orders (not for this) and noticed that it now says I've pre-ordered a free sample, not a full book.  :)  I've cancelled it.

Boo ! I`d be interested in the sample anyway, so I`ll keep the freebie. Thanks for letting me know. :)

9 hours ago, poppy said:

Love your book covered table!! :wub:

Saw you had 'The Vacillations of Poppy Carew,' on your TBR list. Have you read any of Mary Wesley's other books? She's a great favourite of mine.

That Mary Wesley book was from a neighbour ; I will eventually get to it ! I haven`t read any of her other books, but I liked that adaptation they did years ago of The Camomile Lawn. :)

My poor cat is having difficulty jumping onto the table now, cos the books are so high. :ph34r:

6 hours ago, Athena said:

Well done :).

Haha, it looks like a good book though :). I hope it helps you. I own a few books on decluttering (not that I've read all of them yet), so I get wanting to get a book about it :).

Thanks. :)

I shall hope to be in the sort of receptive declutter-book-reading mood soon. :lol:  I also have the two Marie Kondo books and one by Julie Morgenstern.