Little Pixie`s Bookshelf 2017

Little Pixie

Displacement : A Travelogue - Lucy Knisley  ( a graphic art memoir )

Graphic artist Lucy Knisley volunteers to accompany her grandparents on a cruise. Both in their 90`s, frail, and with the Grandmother suffering from dementia, Lucy tries to remain positive and compassionate, while dealing with both her relatives and the behaviour of some people towards them. There`s some unbelievable rudeness towards two elderly people and Lucy is unflinching in describing her Grandparents issues. 

The day-by-day details of the cruise are interspersed with the Grandfather`s WW2 memoirs so you get a sense of who he was, as well as how he is now. 

It`s the sort of book you would like school children to read, to give them a better understanding of frailty and mortality. Not an easy read, but so worthwhile. :(

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dude. That's 1 book per day, if you don't read any other books this month! :thud: Next month you'll have read more books than I read last year altogether. 

:doowapstart:  I`m sure you`ve read other stuff though ( ? ) ; I`m currently plowing through a massive stack of newspapers , cos I stopped reading them in order to concentrate on doing a big reread. :) So - probably no more books this month, so I can get the papers out of the  house and into the recycling box, ready to be picked up at the end of the week.

I`ve had years when I didn`t read much cos I wasn`t well, or had so much else going on. You could factor in all the time you spent with that doggie last year as time well spent. :D

Nope, I've not read much other stuff... My mojo's not been that great in the past year. Life changes and work and whatnot. I wish I could say it's quality over quantity, anyway, but I don't think I had a very quality-rich reading year, either :D Oh well... 2017 will be better! :yes: I'll try and get inspired by you lot who read so much! 

I`ve read 31 books this month, which I last managed in 2015.  :018:

Well done, that's a lot :D!! *claps*

I managed it in 2015 and 2016 but not this year. This year I'm slowing down my reading (and reading less children's books and more books for adults and young-adults). I've read 10 books so far this month. Soon 11, and then I'll post about the past two books.

I'm proud of you :D. Good luck reading all the newspapers!

With used online books, I also think ` that book could vanish ! I must buy it now ! `  :doh:

That's true! I think the same thing when I'm in the charity shop or at a library sale or at the book fair. I'm unlikely to find it again at such a bargain, if I find it again at all (in the case of older books). 

Books read : 31                        TBR 887              New Books Bought : 29                       Total Cost :     £62.13

Woohoo, books read is more than books bought! For how long though.. :D.

Nope, I've not read much other stuff... My mojo's not been that great in the past year. Life changes and work and whatnot. I wish I could say it's quality over quantity, anyway, but I don't think I had a very quality-rich reading year, either :D Oh well... 2017 will be better! :yes: I'll try and get inspired by you lot who read so much! 

What about a reread, to get you back in the swing ? :)

Well done, that's a lot :D!! *claps*

I managed it in 2015 and 2016 but not this year. This year I'm slowing down my reading (and reading less children's books and more books for adults and young-adults). I've read 10 books so far this month. Soon 11, and then I'll post about the past two books.

I'm proud of you :D. Good luck reading all the newspapers! 

Thank you ! :D  I`m almost halfway through the newspapers now, which is pretty good. :)

That's true! I think the same thing when I'm in the charity shop or at a library sale or at the book fair. I'm unlikely to find it again at such a bargain, if I find it again at all (in the case of older books).  

And if I don`t buy it - and later look it up and change my mind - then it`s like a missed bookortunity ( which I think should be a word - a mix of book and opportunity... :giggle2: ). 

Woohoo, books read is more than books bought! For how long though..  :D.

I think we all know the answer to that one.  :giggle:

Blimey, how many books in a month? :o  At this rate, you're sure to get that TBR down. Actually, with your book buying habits, possibly not. ;):giggle2:

Every time I`ve made grandiose plans to get my TBR down - only buy 1 book if I`ve read 1 book, etc - there`s a grandiose fail.  :giggle:

Newest plan - not to buy any books till March.  :D  We`ll see how that goes.  :hide:

What about a reread, to get you back in the swing ? :)

That's always an idea, but lately when I've tried that, it's not worked :( But luckily the book I've now picked to read is really good: How to Find Love in a Book Shop by Veronica Henry :smile2: Perfect stuff! 

That's always an idea, but lately when I've tried that, it's not worked :( But luckily the book I've now picked to read is really good: How to Find Love in a Book Shop by Veronica Henry :smile2: Perfect stuff! 

Excellent ! Hope that`s completely fixed your mojo. :)

Hey, I wanted to let you know I've been reading Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project since January. It's February now so I read February's entry yesterday. I don't know if I'll keep it up like this until December though. I might want to finish it sooner :giggle2:. So far I like it :).

Hey, I wanted to let you know I've been reading Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project since January. It's February now so I read February's entry yesterday. I don't know if I'll keep it up like this until December though. I might want to finish it sooner :giggle2:. So far I like it :).

Ooh, great ! :D  I`m still rereading Happier at Home, the `sequel`, which goes from Sept. to May ( I think ). :) I might even re-reread The Happiness Project. :)

Ooh, great ! :D  I`m still rereading Happier at Home, the `sequel`, which goes from Sept. to May ( I think ). :) I might even re-reread The Happiness Project. :)

Nice :)

Noooo ! Death in Paradise news.  I`m a bit sad, but happy at the newbie. :)

That's sad :(. But I hope the new person will do a good job, I liked him in Father Ted :).

• 2 weeks later...

Awwww, I'm so sorry to hear that :(. That's very sad.

I hope you feel better soon :empathy::friends0:.

Aw, thank you.  :friends0:

My friend had been a friend of my Mum`s - who`s been dead for almost 20 years now - and I feel so sad for her, knowing what she`s going through. :(