#121 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,914 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:04 PM

I have been a bad girl.  :blush:

At the beginning of the week I bought these...

IMG_20170308_182029_zpsvtmor2kj.jpg

...for just under £10 delivered.  They're not the quality of a Vintage book you'd buy in a shop, but they're decent enough for reading.

Then today I slipped and got these for £1.50!

books_zpsyqqnrhgr.jpg

Oops!    :giggle2:

#122 Athena

Athena

Readaholic, BookWorm & BookEater

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts
  • LocationHelmond, the Netherlands

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:26 AM

All the new books do look pretty though :). I hope you like all of them!

#123 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,914 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:42 AM

Thanks, Gaia. :)

#124 willoyd

willoyd

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts
  • Reading now?:The Marble Collector by Cecilia Ahern
  • LocationWharfedale

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:52 AM

I have been a bad girl.  :blush:
At the beginning of the week I bought these...
...for just under £10 delivered.  They're not the quality of a Vintage book you'd buy in a shop, but they're decent enough for reading.

Love the selection: Winter Holiday is, for me, one of the best of the Swallows and Amazons books (my all-time favourite children's series); Gibbons, Maugham and Hoeg are all brilliant writers (Miss Smilla is on my favourites list too); loved Flagg's Fried Green Tomatoes; and as for Dickens...... What a bargain! (Don't know Calvino at all, but heard lots good).  Where did you get such a good selection (pure curiosity, as already have copies of most of those above)?

Edited by willoyd, 12 March 2017 - 10:52 AM.

#125 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,914 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:29 PM

They came from The Book People. :)

https://www.thebookp...Yh44aAkvO8P8HAQ

As I said, they're not quite the quality of a Vintage book from a book shop, but for the money they're fine.

I had all bar the Cavino and Maugham on my wish list - what luck! :)

#126 Madeleine

Madeleine

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,350 posts
  • Reading now?:To catch a Rabbit by Helen Cadbury & The house of Eyes by Kate Ellis
  • LocationSE England

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:29 AM

The Book People are fantastic value, can't beat 'em!

#127 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,914 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:30 PM

The Book People are fantastic value, can't beat 'em!

Yes, I've only bought from them a few times (my set of Dickens are wonderful and 'proper' quality too) but they have some very tempting sets.   :)

#128 Sazed

Sazed

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Reading now?:The Miserable Mill by Lemony Snicket, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  • LocationYork, UK

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:17 AM

I've always been keen on that Dickens set, I just didn't want to buy it before my big move to the UK, and the other day I looked on their website again and it seems like they don't have it anymore? Which is a shame, it was such good value and I loved the covers too...

#129 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,914 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:31 AM

Oh, that's a shame.  :(  I bought mine several years ago now and am slowly reading my way through them.    Maybe they'll get them back in again some time?  :)

#130 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 12,059 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes.
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:33 AM

The front covers of those vintage books look beautiful on the website though! Half tempted myself, even though I don't know if I'd read some of them :roll:

Looking through the website now - they have some brilliantly priced collections. I might get the Ann Cleeves one for my mum, I know she wanted more of her books.

#131 chesilbeach

chesilbeach

Conqueror of Mount TBR

• Moderators
  • 12,767 posts
  • Reading now?:Cogheart by Peter Bunzl

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:15 PM

Good luck with the Calvino, Janet!  I think it must be a marmite book, but I only managed about 20 or 30 pages before I gave up, I just couldn't face any more, but I know others have loved it. Fingers crossed you'll be one of them. ;)

#132 Kylie

Kylie

Multifaceted Abnormal

• Moderators
  • 13,298 posts
  • Reading now?:Deciding...
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:39 PM

loved If On a Winter's Night a Traveller! It blew my socks off. :) I hated Miss Smilla though.  :lurker: Those books are so pretty! And so ridiculously cheap!!

#133 chesilbeach

chesilbeach

Conqueror of Mount TBR

• Moderators
  • 12,767 posts
  • Reading now?:Cogheart by Peter Bunzl

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:31 PM

See, I told you it was a marmite book! :lol:

#134 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,914 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:09 PM

I'm sorry, guys - I thought I'd replied to this already.  :)

Good luck with the Calvino, Janet!  I think it must be a marmite book, but I only managed about 20 or 30 pages before I gave up, I just couldn't face any more, but I know others have loved it. Fingers crossed you'll be one of them. ;)

Well I guess on the plus side,  I'II know quite quickly whether I'II like it or not!  :lol:

loved If On a Winter's Night a Traveller! It blew my socks off. :) I hated Miss Smilla though.  :lurker: Those books are so pretty! And so ridiculously cheap!!

I'm not sure when I'll get round to them but I'm intrigued by both.  :)  They are pretty, aren't they.  And one is A Christmas Carol - happy days!!  :D

See, I told you it was a marmite book! :lol:

You did!  :lol: 

#135 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,914 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:34 AM

017-2017-Feb-18-The%20Ashes%20of%20Londo

The Ashes of London by Andrew Taylor

The ‘blurb’

A CITY IN FLAMES

London, 1666. As the Great Fire consumes everything in its path, the body of a man is found in the ruins of St Paul’s Cathedral – stabbed in the neck, thumbs tied behind his back.

A WOMAN ON THE RUN

The son of a traitor, James Marwood is forced to hunt the killer through the city’s devastated streets. There he encounters a determined young woman who will stop at nothing to secure her freedom.

A KILLER SEEKING REVENGE

When a second murder victim is discovered in the Fleet Ditch, Marwood is drawn into the political and religious intrigue of Westminster – and across the path of a killer with nothing to lose…

1666, and London is still recovering after the Restoration of the Monarchy just six years earlier.   The city is also in the grip of a terrible fire, and watching St Paul's burn is John Marwood, a lowly civil servant and the son of a Fifth Monarchist, wanted as a traitor.  He stops a boy from rushing into the burning Cathedral, which is on the brink of collapse, and as he wraps his cloak around the shivering lad he discovers that it is actually a woman, but she runs off into the crowd, still wearing his cloak, and he loses sight of her.

The fire spreads, destroying everything in its path as the desperate Londoners try to stop it, and in the ruins of St Paul's, a body is recovered.  At first it is believed that the man was simply a victim of the fire, but on examination it is found that the man has been murdered, and left with his thumbs tied behind his back.  Marwood is tasked with identifying the corpse.

Meanwhile, in another part of London, the young woman has troubles of her own and is forced to flee the place she has called home since the death of her parents, or face the consequences of her actions there.  Taken in by a kindly woman, Cat has to work for the first time in her life, but she is not unhappy. 

As another murder victim is discovered it quickly becomes apparent that the Fifth Monarchists are not, as previously thought, now inactive, and Marwood and Cat's lives entwine, putting them both in grave danger as a consequence of their fathers' past deeds.

The time of the Great Fire of London is a fascinating period of history and so when this book was a Kindle 99p deal I thought I'd give it a go.  I had heard of the author, but not read any of his works, so I didn't really know what to expect.  What I got was a right rollicking adventure, told in two voices – those of John Marwood and Cat.  At first it doesn't appear the two – a lowly civil servant with a reputation due to the actions of his father – and a woman from the gentry – have much in common, but as their lives converge the tensions rise.   The book is so descriptive, but without being over the top or waffly, that it really brings London to life and I found that I couldn't put it down! 

In previous years, this would have been a firm 5* book, but I am trying to be more subjective this year (I do find it hard to 'mark' books, especially at the start of the year).   It may be promoted later on, but for now it's a definite 4 – I really enjoyed it.  

The paperback edition is 496 pages long and is published by Harper. It was first published in 2016. The ISBN is 9780008119096.   

4/5 (I really, really liked it!)

(Finished 18 February 2017)

#136 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,914 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:37 AM

The front covers of those vintage books look beautiful on the website though! Half tempted myself, even though I don't know if I'd read some of them :roll:

Looking through the website now - they have some brilliantly priced collections. I might get the Ann Cleeves one for my mum, I know she wanted more of her books.

Sorry, Noll - I managed to miss your post.  Do you buy for your Mum for Mothering Sunday?  That's next weekend, so maybe a good excuse (if you needed one!!).  :)

#137 Madeleine

Madeleine

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,350 posts
  • Reading now?:To catch a Rabbit by Helen Cadbury & The house of Eyes by Kate Ellis
  • LocationSE England

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:46 AM

I've got Ashes of London on my tbr pile, glad you liked it.  Have you read "The American Boy" by the same author?  One of my all time favourites, it's lovely.

#138 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,914 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:57 PM

I've got Ashes of London on my tbr pile, glad you liked it.  Have you read "The American Boy" by the same author?  One of my all time favourites, it's lovely.

No, I haven't, but that's good to know.  I shall definitely look out for it.  Thanks. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users