Dan's book log

Dan_R

Hi all,

I read the following books starting from sometime in early 2016.  I'm going to try to post a quick review on some of them.

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

The Fear Saga (trilogy) by Stephen Moss

- Fear the Sky

- Fear the Survivors

- Fear the Future

The Hospital by Keith C. Blackmore

Mountain Man by Keith C. Blackmore

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

After You by Jojo Moyes

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

The One Plus One by Jojo Moyes

The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin

Fool Me Once by Harlan Coben

Missing You by Harlan Coben

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Lost Dogs and Lonely Hearts by Lucy Dillon

The Last Letter from your Lover by Jojo Moyes

One False Move by Harlan Coben

Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children (trilogy) by Ransom Riggs

- Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

- Hollow City

- Library of Souls

Tales of the Peculiar by Ransom Riggs

Stay Close by Harlan Coben

Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey

The Chemist by Stephanie Meyer

Huntress Moon by Alexandra Sokoloff

Currently reading Blood Moon by Alexandra Sokoloff

I would love to hear what others thought about these or any recommendations.

All the best,

Dan

Hi Dan.  :)   Welcome to the Book Club Forum

I've read a few books off your list.  I'm going to try to read A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson in 2017 - I've been putting off for a number of years...

Happy reading in 2017.  :)

Out of your list I've read Me Before You and After You by Jojo Moyes and the A Song of Ice and Fire books by George R. R. Martin, all of which I liked. Do you plan on continuing on with the series? Book 3 was my favourite and I liked book 5 the least. I'm still interested to read the next book when it's out (in medium paperback), but I haven't got back to the TV show yet since I stopped watching it some time ago. For some reason I'm not as interested in it anymore, time will tell if I go back to it at some point (I bought some of the seasons on disc).

I agree with you about Game of Thrones Athena - book 3 is the best and book 5 the weakest, which is why I think I found the 5th series the weakest as well, however series 6 is great so worth catching up with it!  Plus if you like book 3, then series 3 and 4 cover quite a lot of the 3rd book.

I'm spending a bit less time reading at the moment so I might not get to book 3 of A Song of Ice and Fire for a while.  When I read the first 2 books, I kind of find them a bit grim and brutal.  They seemed a little bereft of love between characters.  Still, I did enjoy them.

Hello Dan, nice to see a new reading log by a new member! :smile2: I see you hail from Australia, bloody hell! Very cool :cool: I stayed two months in Sydney in 2010, and also visited Canberra. I went to the Book Fair there, with our very own Kylie. I'm sure you've been there, too? 

I see you have an ecclectic taste in books! I've only read The Girl on the Train (loved it) and The Alchemist (hated it) and Lost Dogs and Lonely Hearts (it was okay) from your list, though. Looking forward to seeing what this year brings you, bookwise!