Book Popularity in some countries vs others

shades

I'd say it's probably a bit of both. You could argue that themes like women's rights, equality and freedom are universal themes but every culture and country approaches these subjects differently. Oh and let's not forget about book banning. My country, like many other ex-communist ones, have a history with banning books that were not approved by the communist party. 

Income is a factor that many do not take into consideration. While I assume it's not a big issue in Western Europe or in countries with an above average income, in poorer countries, the price of a book matters very much. When Go Set a Watchman costs 30$ and you make an average of 300$/month, buying books can become a luxury. 

As a writer, I have found that my ebooks sell more in the US than in the UK; ten times better but the population is only four or five times larger. The books are set in England and were intended for a UK readership. It hadn't occurred to me that Americans might like them. So culturally they have crossed the pond but the star ratings are lower so, to use your words, they probably don't 'read as well' in the US, i.e. do not resonate so well there.

Indians, those in India too, seem to speak highly of British classics such as Jane Austen (who doesn't) and Thomas Hardy, etc.

I know of a New Zealand writer who sets her books in early days NZ and I should have thought they would have a limited market but, not so, they sell very well in the US too.

Marketing is easier in the U.S. as they have lots of companies sending enewsletters around of bargain books. So, as Talisman suggests, marketing probably plays a large part. I keep hoping some British entrepreneurs will start more here in the UK.

As a reader, I prefer British writers perhaps because of the familiarity of the language they use. Some overseas mini genres such as Mail Order Brides just do not appeal. However, I have enjoyed very much some overseas writers as they take me to places and times I cannot visit myself.

Mr Cat, I hope you can find books you like very much cheaper somewhere. Have you tried Amazon? Most ebooks are cheaper.

Interesting Anna, I found the exact same thing, My book sold 80X's better in the US than anywhere else combined, and was equally advertised all over.

At first, and it still may be true I thought the advertising was simply better. But you hit on the fact that maybe the writing style just does not read as well in other cultures.

I happen to think that good books vs bad books are a lot like good movies vs bad movies in as far as advertising goes. A good trailer and the hype will bring people in. And just as a director, or actor does not need people to see the movie twice he just needs to get them to see it the first time being most profits are made on that initial release week. Word of mouth quickly spreads that the movie is either bad or worth seeing I get that, but I have seen a lot of bad movies in my time and never offered a refund. :smile:

my advice and marching orders are to write because you want to write, the chips will fall as they may.

Edited by shades

Are you American? If so, roughly whereabouts do you live? Sorry to be so nosey!

Gone With the Wind was a very American story but it translates well into other countries. Some do, some don't. I did wonder whether to adapt my style to make my books more acceptable to Americans, but I decided that I'm just too British to be able to do that and my stories are set in England and so I just hope for better marketing to come along for the Brits.

As a reader, I depend heavily on book groups and recommendations and contacts.

I am American, born and raised in the deep south, "Gone With The Wind" deep south, Charleston South Carolina to be pin point.

And currently living in the Northeast.

I find when I read works by British Authors I feel the culture in their writings. There is this proper prim and manner to the story that I seek out when choosing my next read.

And by the same token American Authors have a different kind of gritty crime story feel to most things they write about whether it be romance, suspense or even American sci fi, it undoubtedly has a certain feel to it.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule but generally speaking I think you may even be able to feel my point in this written post.

It is after all what makes us all who we are.

I would love to read one of your works if you would care to PM me.

Edited by shades

On reading your initial post, only your American flag gave you away to me, but I thought I had better not assume you were American! However, I have become aware of the many differences in culture and speech even in the U.S. I mentioned 'Gone With the Wind' because I can sometimes distinguish the southerners from say, Californians or New Englanders. I find all this fascinating.

Here in the U.K. we often cannot understand all of what someone else says when they only live 400 miles away! But we can always understand what they write (unless they write in the vernacular). I've just started reading some of the Poldark books and Winston Graham writes beautifully and I love it, but sometimes I can't make out what his characters are saying as he writes as they spoke it and being west country mining folk from the 19th century, it's richly scattered with local expressions and missing a lot of consonants. I slow down and decipher it! Well, I try!

My books are on Amazon - I'll p.m. you. 

Interesting the different cultural dynamics within a culture.

I find southerners in America, for the most part speak with more manners in their thoughts, as if respecting the response it may garner either vocal or just in perception.

Whereas New Englanders especially, speak for the most part as if they are daring a response, even hoping for conflict as if they need to further prove their view on a given subject.

I try to convey that in my writing almost a good vs evil.

Do you, of the other side of the pond pick up that from Americans in general?

And would you pick up a book that highlighted that in a character?

I'm currently writing a book on our sometimes corrupt intelligence agencies, and their arrogance sometimes supported by our media. Honing in on a few particular events such as the marathon bombing, Janet Reno's WACO, and a few others.

How brave you are to be writing such a book! I hope you will be careful about what you say!

I enjoy books where good battles evil. I always want the goodies to win but I often am attracted to the baddie character, so I don't think you need worry too much about people speaking their minds and being a bit pushy.

I enjoy watching a TV programme called Inspector George Gently which is based on a book series. The young, sidekick detective is just as you describe your New Englanders and sometimes I could get mad at him, but his character is strong enough to keep my eyes on him all the time. That is what you want in a book. So yes, I would pick up a book that highlighted the regional differences you mention above.

• 3 weeks later...

My first thought was  cases where there are language differences, but of course that doesn't really apply to English speaking countries.  So I think it must have at least something to do with marketing.  We do seem to have a very saturated market, book wise - the sheer number of new books that come out every week are over-whelming. It just isn't possible to read them all, so inevitably, people will tend to stick to something familiar to spend their hard earned cash on. When we do feel the urge for a "new" writer, what do we do? We either read a review, which is all part of the marketing, or we go into a bookshop and see the displays that read something like " if you like writer X, then you'll love Writer Y.

Websites like this do play there part of course, but I'd be interested to see how many books become best-sellers based entirely, or mostly, on word of mouth.

All of which is a long-winded way of sating I don't really know!

I guess sometimes it's just dumb luck. Getting publicity at just the right time so your name just sticks with the public and you can gather a fan base to support you.

I know of at least one english author, that was apparently not very popular in english-speaking countries, because his new series was just translated and published in German, no english version at all.