First line of current book - 2017

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abbie Whitmore stood at the back of the crowd at the steps of the town hall, easily blending in with the mass of people also dressed in somber dark suits.

Bodyguard - James Patterson

The brig Henrietta having made Sandy Hook a little before the dinner hour - and having passed the Narrows about three o'clock - and then crawling to and for, in a series of tacks infinitesimal enough to rival the calculus, across the grey sheet of the harbour of New York - until it seemed to Mr Smith, dancing from foot to foot upon deck, that the small mound of the city waiting there would hover ahead in the November gloom in perpetuity, never growing closer, to the the smirk of Greek Zeno - and the day being advanced to dusk by the time Henrietta at last lay anchored off Tietjes Slip, with the veritable gables of the city's veritable houses divided from him only by one hundred foot of water - and the dusk moreover being as cold and damp and dim as November can afford, as if all the work were a quarto of grey paper dampened by drizzle until in danger of crumbling imminently to pap: - all this being true, the master of the brig pressed upon him the virtue of sleeping this one further night aboard, and pursuing his shore business in the morning.

Golden Hill by Francis Spufford.

Louis Creed, who had lost his father at three and who had never known a grandfather, never expected to find a father as he entered his middle age, but that was exactly what happened.

Pet Sematary by Stephen King.

Of the first few hauntings I investigated with Lockwood & Co. I intend to say little, in part to protect the identity of the victims, in part because of the gruesome nature of the incidents, but mainly because, in a variety go ingenious ways, we succeeded in messing them all up.

Lockwood & Co: The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud

I had no way of knowing it at the time, but when Aaron told his joke, I was thirty nine seconds away from driving our minivan through a guardrail over a cliff and into a river.

Come and get us - James Patterson bookshot