First line of current book - 2017

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Reverend Dodd vicar of St Michaels on the Cliff stood at the window of his comfortable bachelor study looking out into the night. 

The Cornish Murder - John Bude

Roger, aged seven, and no longer the youngest of the family, ran in wide zigzags, to and fro, across the steep field that sloped up from the lake to Holly Howe, the farm where they were staying for part of the summer holidays.

Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome

Roger, aged seven, and no longer the youngest of the family, ran in wide zigzags, to and fro, across the steep field that sloped up from the lake to Holly Howe, the farm where they were staying for part of the summer holidays.

Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome

Definitely in the top five of my favourite books as a child! :)

As I sit here with one foot on either side of the ledge, looking down from twelve stories above the streets of Boston, I can't help but think about suicide.

It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎14‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 3:07 PM, chesilbeach said:

I was back at St Mary's.

And The Rest Is History by Jodi Taylor

Oh I am way behind on these books need to buy from book 8.

If you reach the camp before me i'll let you live the soldier said.

Never Never  - James Patterson

The story had begun deep inside the Vatican, had leaked out into the city of Rome, and within days had whipped around the globe with the momentum of a biblical prophecy.

The Woman of God - James Patterson

• 1 month later...

Thus had another ideal tumbled to the rubbish heap!  She seemed to be breathing the dust which the newly fallen had stirred up among its dead fellows.  Certainly she was breathing the dust from somewhere.

From A to Z by Susan Glaspell, from The Persephone Book of Short Stories

• 2 weeks later...

'Ring a ring o' roses,' sand Daisy for the fifth time.  'A pocket full of posies.  Atishoo, atishoo, we all fall down.'  She subsided thankfully into the rocking chair while Oliver and Miranda flung themselves on the floor and rolled around squealing.

Anthem for Doomed Youth by Carola Dunn

• 2 weeks later...

That my first encounter with Mitko B. ended in a betrayal, even a minor one, should have given me greater warning at the time, which should in turn have made my desire for him less, if not done away with it completely.

What Belongs to You by Garth Greenwell (which I have just finished)

From the doorway I can already smell the scent of old books, a perfume of crumbling pages and time-worn leather.

Playing with Fire by Tess Gerritsen (which I have just started)

• 2 months later...

Princeton, in the summer, smelled of nothing, and although Ifemelu liked the tranquil greenness of the many trees, the clean streets and stately homes, the delicately overpriced shops and the quiet, abiding air of earned grace, it was this, the lack of a smell, that most appealed to her, perhaps because the other American cities she knew well had all smelled distinctly.

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

14 hours ago, bobblybear said:

Princeton, in the summer, smelled of nothing, and although Ifemelu liked the tranquil greenness of the many trees, the clean streets and stately homes, the delicately overpriced shops and the quiet, abiding air of earned grace, it was this, the lack of a smell, that most appealed to her, perhaps because the other American cities she knew well had all smelled distinctly.

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Wow - I just love that.  For me that's very Austenesque (can't pay a better compliment!), and so makes me want to keep reading.

Bernie had lain at the foot of the knoll for hours, half conscious.

Winter in Madrid by CJ Sansom