Muggle Not's Reading - 2017

muggle not

Shame about Dark Places, I really loved that book, although I remember it being really slow. What's the reasons you didn't love it? =)

I'm going to be reading Dark Places soon, so I'd also be interested in hearing what you disliked about it :D

Actually, I didn't dislike the book. It just wasn't one of my favorites so far this year (how's that for backtracking). :)

I find it difficult to explain why it wasn't one of my favorites. Probably because it kept rehashing the slaughter "over and over and over". Also, I especially found it difficult to like any of the characters in the book including Libby. The investigation of the murders by the police, if they actually did an investigation, was as sloppy as it gets.

But, I am glad that Sazed liked the book and I hope Nollaig likes it. :)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, those were qualities of Sharp Objects too. I was surprised by how unlikeable all the characters were, and to an extent it kept mentioning some unpleasant things. I loved it though, so hopefully I'll love Dark Places too :D

14. Vermillion Drift - William Kent Krueger - 8/10 - Typical good read of a William Kent Krueger book. He keeps you in suspense throughout the book. I am amazed at the way he weaves the Native American Indian into his writing. There were some "dark' goings on in this book including the ending. I still have a good number of his books to read but will be sorry when I get through them all as I am really enjoying his writing. This series was recommended to me by Peacefield.....thanks.

Overall my reading is going well this year.

Edited by muggle not

13. Dark places - Gillian Flynn - 7.5/10 - not one of my better reads in 2017.

I am now reading Vermillion Drift by William Kent Krueger. He is another of my go-to authors when I am waiting for other library books to become available. Only problem is that the library only carries about 2/3 of his books and I have to buy the kindle books. :cry:

The only one of Flynn's I've read is Gone Girl.  Liked it a lot.  I have the other two, but have procrastinated reading them, mostly due to comments like yours.  Will eventually though.

BTW, had to get a new library card, couldn't find mine....of course I did about a week after I'd paid the 3 USD to get a new one...lol.  Anyhow, I've used it to borrow a couple of e-books, it's pretty neat. :)  Thanks for the encouragement. :)

The only one of Flynn's I've read is Gone Girl.  Liked it a lot.  I have the other two, but have procrastinated reading them, mostly due to comments like yours.  Will eventually though.

BTW, had to get a new library card, couldn't find mine....of course I did about a week after I'd paid the 3 USD to get a new one...lol.  Anyhow, I've used it to borrow a couple of e-books, it's pretty neat. :)  Thanks for the encouragement. :)

The more you use the library for e-books the more you will appreciate it. Most of the time the best sellers have a wait list but I just put the book on hold and get something else that is interesting and forget about the hold until it becomes available. I can't stress enough how much I recommend the library for e-books. The savings in $$$$ is amazing and it is so convenient.

• 3 weeks later...

16. The Cold Dish - Craig Johnson - 8.5/10 - Good read. This is not a true 'western" though (cowboys and Indians). It takes place in Wyoming and reminds me a little of the writing o of William Kent Krueger. I have not watched the Longmire series on TV but if the series is as good as the book I have been missing something. :)

17. Death Without Company - Craig Johnson - 8.5/10 - Different story but in the same vein as The Cold Dish. I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I have come to enjoy Deputy Vic n this series. :)

I used to watch Longmire sometimes before it went on to Netflix, and I couldn't stand Vic!  Although I never liked her when she was in 24, so that might have something to do with it.

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 7:26 AM, Madeleine said:

I used to watch Longmire sometimes before it went on to Netflix, and I couldn't stand Vic!  Although I never liked her when she was in 24, so that might have something to do with it.

I have never seen her on TV. I do like her, so far, in the book. maybe that will change down the road but so far so good. :)

I really screwed up. I am currently reading Whistler by John Grisham which I got from the library. I also had Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman on hold at the library. I received a notice that Norse Mythology was available for me to download. The library gives you 72 hours to download the book and then you have 21 days before you have to return it. I wanted to wait until the last hour to download Norse Mythology as I was in the midst of reading the Grisham book. Well, I got involved in some other things and forget about the deadline for Norse Mythology and missed my place in the hold. I had to put a new hold on the book and I am now listed at #56 on the hold list, and, they only have 3 copies. it means I will be waiting a long time before I get to read Norse Mythology due to my stupidity. :angry:

Edited by muggle not

3 hours ago, muggle not said:

I really screwed up. I am currently reading Whistler by John Grisham which I got from the library. I also had Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman on hold at the library. I received a notice that Norse Mythology was available for me to download. The library gives you 72 hours to download the book and then you have 21 days before you have to return it. I wanted to wait until the last hour to download Norse Mythology as I was in the midst of reading the Grisham book. Well, I got involved in some other things and forget about the deadline for Norse Mythology and missed my place in the hold. I had to put a new hold on the book and I am now listed at #56 on the hold list, and, they only have 3 copies. it means I will be waiting a long time before I get to read Norse Mythology due to my stupidity. :angry:

Nooooooo!!! :( At least you're one jump ahead of me, Muggle, I didn't even know there was a new book out by him! But then I suppose, what you don't know, doesn't hurt you ;) I hope those other 56 read super fast for you!

• 3 weeks later...

18. The Heart of Everything That Is - Bob Drury & Tom Clavin - 9/10 - I thoroughly enjoyed this book although the reading was slow. The book was on the NY Times best seller list and for a good reason. It is the life story of Red Cloud, the only Indian to actually defeat the United States (others have won battles). Red Cloud rose in power to control more Indians than any other Indian Chief. At one time the Sioux Indian Nation controlled approx. 1/6 of the contiguous U.S.  He outfoxed all the U.S. Generals in his fight against the U.S. At the peak of his power and after a victory over a large contingent of U.S. soldiers the U. S. finally admitted defeat and agreed to a treaty that was satisfactory to Red Cloud (of course as usual, in later years the U.S. broke the treaty). Red Cloud lived to the age of 88 and died on the Pine Ridge Reservation. His ancestors still live today. His grandson died, I believe, in about 2007.

I am so glad I read this book.

19.  Kindness Goes Unpunished : A Longmire Mystery - Book 3 - Craig Johnson - 8/10 - This may be my favorite of the 3 books I have read so far of the Longmire Mysteries. It takes place in Philadelphia instead of the customary Wyoming. We get introduced to Vic's entire family in the book. A tragedy also occurs to Cady, Walt Longmire's daughter. I am now reading book 4 of the series.

Edited by muggle not

• 2 weeks later...

20. Another Mans Moccasins : A Longmire mystery - Book 4 - Craig Johnson - 8/10

21. Dark Horse: A Longmire Mystery - Book 5 - Craig Johnson - 8/10 - Book started a little slow but picked up steam. I just downloaded from the library book 6 (Junkyard Dogs of the Longmire). I will probably continue with the Longmire Mysteries to the end. Unless of course the Neil Gaiman book Norse Mythology becomes available. I think I am up to #5 on the library holds list and I am optimistic I will be reading it soon.

• 4 months later...

A haven't been reading near as much as usual this year and I also haven't updated my reading list for quite a while. So this is what I have read since my last update. :)

24. As The Crow Flies – A Longmire book 8 – Craig Johnson – 8/10

25. A Serpents Tooth – A Longmire book 9 – Craig Johnson - 8/10

26.Any Other Name – A Longmire book 10 – Craig Johnson – 8/10

27. Bob Garner’s Book of BBQ – Bob Garner – 9/10

28. Christmas In Absarako County – A Longmire Book 8.1 – Craig Johnson – 8/10

29. Dry Bones – A Longmire Book 11 – Craig Johnson – 8/10

30. Norse Mythology – Neil Gaiman – 8/10

31. The Highwayman – A Longmire Book11.5 – Craig Johnson – 8/10

32. Divorce Horse – a Longmire Book 7.1 – Craig Johnson – 8/10

33. Messenger – A Longmire Book 8.2 – Craig Johnson – 8/10

34. Northwest Angle – William Kent Krueger – 8/10

35. The Fix – David Baldacci – 7.5/10

36. An Obvious Fact – a Longmire book 12 – Craig Johnson - 8/10

37.Trickster’s Point – William Kent Krueger – 8/10

38. Hate Thy Neighbor – William W. Johnstone – 8/10

39. Brutal Night of the Mountain Man – William W. Johnstone – 8/10

40. Sulfur Springs – William Kent Krueger – 8/10

41. The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye – David Lagercrantz - 7.5/10

42. The Western Star – A Longmire book 13 – Craig Johnston – 8/10

43. Inferno – Dan Brown – 6/10

Edited by muggle not

Books that I have on hold at the library. I am especially anxious to read Hillbilly Elegy. Below is a snippet from Amazon on Hillbilly Elegy.

Sleeping Beauties - Stephen King - #44 on 12 copies

A Column of Fire - Ken Follett -  #98 on 10 copies

The Last Ballad - Wiley Cash - #50 on 5 copies

Camino Island - John Grisham -  #30 on 40 copies

Hillbilly Elegy - J. D. Vance - #167 on 35 copies

#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER, NAMED BY THE TIMES AS ONE OF "6 BOOKS TO HELP UNDERSTAND TRUMP'S WIN" AND SOON TO BE A MAJOR-MOTION PICTURE DIRECTED BY RON HOWARD

"You will not read a more important book about America this year."—The Economist

"A riveting book."—The Wall Street Journal

"Essential reading."—David Brooks, New York Times

From a former marine and Yale Law School graduate, a powerful account of growing up in a poor Rust Belt town that offers a broader, probing look at the struggles of America’s white working class

Hillbilly Elegy is a passionate and personal analysis of a culture in crisis—that of white working-class Americans. The decline of this group, a demographic of our country that has been slowly disintegrating over forty years, has been reported on with growing frequency and alarm, but has never before been written about as searingly from the inside. J. D. Vance tells the true story of what a social, regional, and class decline feels like when you were born with it hung around your neck.

• 4 weeks later...

44. The Bear & the Nightingale (Book 1 of A Winternight Trilogy) - Katherine Arden - 9/10

This is the first book by Katherine Arden and it is fabulous. I am now reading book 2 of the trilogy and it is even better than book 1.

45. Camino Island - John Grisham - 8/10

Edited by muggle not