Muggle Not's Reading - 2017

muggle not

1. Olive Kiteridge - Elizabeth Strout - 9/10: I started the year with a very good book. It won a Pullitzer and It isn't difficult to see why. The book is about a small town in Maine (I kept waiting for a clown to jump out) and the lives of the residents. It rings so true and one can completely understand the stories as they unfold.

Edited by muggle not

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's so good to see you around! P!ease come back more :)

I'm happy your first book of 2017 was a good one. Have you heard of The Cold Dish (Walt Longmire Mystery)?

Happy New Year!

Happy new reading year, muggle not!  Hope your reading continues as well as it's started for the rest of the year :)

Thanks, It hopefully will be better than last year. I only read about 36 books last year and although most were enjoyable there were very few really great ones.:)

Have a great reading year, muggle not! :smile:

Thanks, hopefully it will be better than last year.:)

I've watched a few episodes of Longmire but have never seen the books.  Happy reading!

Thanks, I believe I may give the "Longmire" series a try. :)

I hope you have a great reading year 2017, muggle not! :) 

1. Olive Kiteridge - Elizabeth Strout - 9/10: I started the year with a very good book. It won a Pullitzer and It isn't difficult to see why. The book is about a small town in Maine (I kept waiting for a clown to jump out) and the lives of the residents. It rings so true and one can completely understand the stories as they unfold.

What a coinkydinky, I keep seeing this title here and there these days and I need to add it to my wishlist before I forget. Glad you enjoyed it! :) 

LOL at your clown reference above, muggle! 

We watched Longmire, and enjoyed it......up to a certain point.  When

Longmire grabbed up the gun, or knife ( I forget now) after the Gerald Rainey character was killed in Longmire's living room, I thought that was the absolutely DUMBEST move anyone could make, much less a Lawman!!!!

That finished me with the show.

Happy Reading Muggle!!

Thanks you all. You give me good vibes!

The more I Think of Olive Kitteridge the more I liked the book. (although pontalba, I am still waiting for a clown to appear).:0

2. Mistborn - Brandon Sanderson - 8/10 - A totally enjoyable book. I will now probably read many more of Brandon Sanderson's books. In fact I just now downloaded from the library the 2nd book in the series....Well of Ascension and am looking forward to it.

3. Death on the Nile - ​Agatha Christie - 8/10 - The usual delightful read of an Agatha Christie novel. I guessed the culprits at the very beginning of the book though. It was a total guess on my part. :)

I'm happy you enjoyed Mistborn :)! I hope you enjoy The Well of Ascension too :).

I'm glad you liked Death on the Nile. I haven't read that one yet, but glad it was a good one :).

I am a bout 70% into Well of Ascension and, if anything, am enjoying it "even more" than Misborn which I also really enjoyed.

I hope you have a great time reading in 2017, Muggle Not!  I picked up William Kent Krueger's Mercy Falls the other day and thought of you :D.

I have enjoyed all of William Kent Krueger's books. There are about 6 though that our library doesn't carry and I have been buying those from Amazon. The library does carry the last two in the series but I don't want to read them out of sequence.......please don't as there are some changes that will ruin the previous books.

I am a bout 70% into Well of Ascension and, if anything, am enjoying it "even more" than Misborn which I also really enjoyed.

That's great to hear read :). I hope you enjoy the last 30% of it and that you'll enjoy The Hero of Ages (I presume you're planning to read that one too?) I think I enjoyed The Well of Ascension more than Mistborn too, by a little bit.

4. Well of Ascension - Brandon Sanderson - 8/10 - Excellent read.and I enjoyed it maybe even more than Mistborn. This is a good 3 book series.

I now have Cold Dish and The Hero of Ages on hold at the library, along with about 4 other books.

4. Well of Ascension - Brandon Sanderson - 8/10 - Excellent read.and I enjoyed it maybe even more than Mistborn. This is a good 3 book series.

I now have Cold Dish and The Hero of Ages on hold at the library, along with about 4 other books.

I'm glad you enjoyed The Well of Acension. I hope you'll like The Hero of Ages when you read it :).

I have enjoyed all of William Kent Krueger's books. There are about 6 though that our library doesn't carry and I have been buying those from Amazon. The library does carry the last two in the series but I don't want to read them out of sequence.......please don't as there are some changes that will ruin the previous books.

I hate reading a series out of sequence, Muggle Not, so I will definitely not be doing that! :D  I read on WKK's website that he's putting on the finishing touches to #16 in the Cork O'Connor series, Sulfur Springs, and also working on a companion novel to Ordinary Grace called The Tender Land.  Both new books sound great!  I hope to attend one of his many readings around the state this year, I think that would be really fun! 

5. The Redeemers - Ace Atkins - 7.5/10 : Pretty good reading. I am now reading another of Ace Atknis books to see if this author will stay on my TBR list. I have what I think are some fairly good books on hold at the library. Off to a good start in 2017.