A Short History Of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

Dan_R

I half listened to the Audible version and read the Kindle version.  It's written with a dry sense of humour and attempts (successfully) to make some fairly difficult scientific material understandable.  From the origin of the universe to geology to fossils to astronomy, you get a hint of the sheer scale of things.  Everything is told like it's a story full of characters making discoveries.  I found this narrative style could wander almost off topic from time to time and I would momentarily lose interest.  Maybe I needed the 'short history of almost nearly everything'.  Overall, a fun read.

I've just finished a re-read of this. It's one of my favourite non-fiction books. The subject matter is interesting, but the way Bryson tells it makes it even more so. I also have the illustrated version, and I think there is a condensed version as well.

For me it is, 100%. However, because of it's size it's a bit more awkward to read - ie. you would probably struggle to read it in bed. :lol:

Here are a couple of pictures of the illustrations I've taken - they're just gorgeous!

post-7534-0-93184600-1483895632_thumb.jpg

post-7534-0-53142600-1483895649_thumb.jpg

post-7534-0-29400900-1483895665_thumb.jpg

post-7534-0-48045800-1483895685_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dan if you enjoyed the Bryson but wanted something scientific but a little more focused you could try the books by Marcus Chown. Quantum Theory Cannot Hurt You is a particular personal favourite. Made me think for an hour I  was a physicist  :D