Alexander's Literary Odyssey 2017

Alexander the Great

8 hours ago, Brian. said:

Sounds like a great experience Alexander.

It really was! My friend told me she met Merel last night, got to talk to her and Merel even hugged her. Merel told my friend she'd given the guitar pic in her hand because I'd told her how sad she'd been after it had been taken from her. So my new friend was really happy, and so was I!

I'm seeing Epica in Dublin on April 10th. Some of these new friends are from Manchester and they said I can stay with them if I want to go see them there. Epica's playing there on April 12th, and now it's been arranged that I'll be going from Dublin to Manchester and see them for the 13th time then!

The Woman Upstairs review

As I said before, this book was giving me some issues as I read it. The author knows how to write, that's for sure. I just couldn't bring myself to care about the story she was trying to tell, and having finished it, I'm still not sure what exactly that story was. I feel Messud spent ages building up to something, but never delivered. The build-up became dreadfully boring at some point, the entire story was stalling. The main character's ranting got worse and worse. I found myself thinking "Oh, get over yourself and do something about it then" way too often. It became nearly unbearable and I truly couldn't feel sorry for her.

Then that grand betrayal the blurb promised - it fell so flat. It was very rushed and expected, in a way. The author spent so much time exploring the main character's feelings, and then her feelings about her feelings - and then this thing happens where it might actually be worth exploring her feelings and how she handles it - and then she doesn't. 

Entirely forgettable. The only good thing is that it was only 300 pages, and it was still much too long. I read someone saying this would have worked better as a short story, and while I'm no fan of short stories, I wholeheartedly agree.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 24-10-2017 at 1:21 PM, Athena said:

I'm glad you had a great experience seeing Epica again :)! So nice to hear you talked to some of the band members of Epica and MaYan. Sorry for not responding until now, I was on holidays. How are you doing now?

Yeah, it was really amazing. Every time I think they can't possibly perform a better show, then I see them again, and they do. There is so much going on at any given time, they play so well and they just have so much fun together. The vibe is something very special. They're not putting up an act as some bands do, they don't have a grand story to tell which limits them - they're just there to have fun with you and have a party. I can't wait to see them again in Lille in December.

How I'm doing's a bit complicated. But I've been worse. My therapist is a great support, though - I know I can always reach her, she gets back to me outside of our appointments when I mail her, etc. I'm honestly not sure how I'd cope without her. Now is obviously also a rough time, with Nov 1st coming up.

My dad and I went to the cemetery yesterday and it had been a while. As a kid, we had to go so much for my grandparents that when I was a teenager, my mom said it was up to me if I wanted to keep going every year, because she felt it was unfair on me to make me go, that I'd had to go so much as a kid that she understood if I rather didn't. So for years, I never went. I'd gone to cemeteries all my life and I couldn't take it anymore. Thinking back, I think my mom said I didn't have to go anymore around the time I had to go hospital every day when I was 15.

Then when a very good friend committed suicide and was buried in the same cemetery three years ago, I've gone maybe once a year to visit his grave and then I also go to my family. But yesterday, mom asked me to go with dad to put flowers on the graves for Nov 1st, and it was a strange experience. I've been to their graves on my own, but it had been ages since I'd gone with my dad, or my parents. I felt like for years I'd blocked off my sadness and anger, and now it was all coming out. I also put flowers on my friend's grave and it was so heart-wrenching because he's buried with his dad, and then his mom died earlier this year and I hadn't seen the grave since then and didn't know she was buried with her husband and son. And it also made me angry, for complicated reasons. Seeing my dad so vulnerable was also strange, because usually he really keeps strong for my mom, but my mom wasn't there - and I've always been so focused on her I'd never before noticed how it affects my dad. It was overall weird, and I left quite confused. 

But on to what this topic is actually about: books.

Freakonomics

Years ago, I was visiting London with my sister and saw posters for this book everywhere. I'm not usually a non fiction reader, nor am I at all into mathematics or economics. This is my second non fiction book this year, but usually I don't even ready any at all.

The contents were very interesting. This book truly benefits from the collaboration between Levitt, the economist, and Dubner, the writer. It reads very fluently, numbers are explained in a way even an idiot (in maths, science, economics, etc.) like myself understands. The questions that are asked are very unusual and the answers are unexpected, which is of course the entire point. It really shows how economics can be used to explain the world. I would definitely recommend this to others.

I didn't expect a unifying theme, but my only 'complaint' is how much of a scrapbook this seems to be at times. The structure was off and sometimes it wasn't very clear where something was going. The bonus matter should also have been edited - nobody reads the bonus matter without reading the book, and there was simply too much overlap/repetition. 

Next book: The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer. It's about a guy who grieves his brother, who died in an accident, and how he deals with that. I took it from the library on a whim and I'm not sure I entirely have the mindset to deal with this very well, but I will try.

On 23.9.2017 at 1:20 AM, Alexander the Great said:

My bike's a boy :D And I have a colleague named Simon, so that'd be slightly odd. Also, my bike's just such an Isaac.

Yes, that would be slightly odd :D

On 23.9.2017 at 9:43 AM, Athena said:

My parents' car is called Simone, or actually: SiMOne (an abbreviation for something) :).

What a funny coincidence! :D

On 1.10.2017 at 12:04 AM, Alexander the Great said:

Something terrible happened yesterday, though. Because we have a lunch break of an hour on Fridays and because a lot of people either go out or they stay at work but are really busy on their phones, I like to take my book. A colleague said that she didn't understand I wanted to read a book that big and that she wouldn't have the courage to even start. Okay, I can respect that, we're all different. But then this newish guy, when he asked what book I was reading and I showed him, he made these big eyes and said: "What? Why would you read that - just watch the movie!"

... my heart, fellow book-lovers. My bleeding heart. As if reading the book and watching the film is the same thing. As if reading the book is a chore. As if... well, I can't begin to explain how equally baffled I was by the utter ignorance of that question. This guy got his Master's degree in Laws. He should have some sense, no? Seriously. I just can't.

:rolleyes:   You have my deepest sympathies for having to have dealt with that comment!  It's just mind boggling. 

On 6.10.2017 at 7:29 PM, Little Pixie said:

That`s interesting, though really sad. :( It`s the lack of empathy that gets me : Why make someone feel bad because they`re different to you ? :117:

Exactly!! I mean I don't think the person in this case did it on purpose, but people should be more tolerant and more open minded. But I suppose that's too much to ask! 

I read everyone's subsequent comments in the thread, a very interesting conversation! I'm happy to report that I went to a Book Fair this week and there were teenagers who were giddy about finding particular books they'd been looking for! :smile2:   No, there weren't hundreds of them, but there were some! :)

On 9.10.2017 at 12:20 AM, Alexander the Great said:

This guy said to me that I probably read all the Harry Potter novels as well, then. I said something along the lines of: "Of course I did! Have you read them?" and then he responded with: "No, I've got all the dvd's." And his tone implied that both have to be mutually exclusive.

Sigh! :rolleyes:  I hope he learns to keep quiet the next time he sees you with a book. 

On 9.10.2017 at 12:20 AM, Alexander the Great said:

By now, I feel a little bit weird thinking about my new colleague so much on the weekend :P 

:lol:  :lol:  

On 22.10.2017 at 10:07 PM, Alexander the Great said:

The Woman Upstairs review

As I said before, this book was giving me some issues as I read it. The author knows how to write, that's for sure. I just couldn't bring myself to care about the story she was trying to tell, and having finished it, I'm still not sure what exactly that story was. I feel Messud spent ages building up to something, but never delivered. The build-up became dreadfully boring at some point, the entire story was stalling. The main character's ranting got worse and worse. I found myself thinking "Oh, get over yourself and do something about it then" way too often. It became nearly unbearable and I truly couldn't feel sorry for her.

Then that grand betrayal the blurb promised - it fell so flat. It was very rushed and expected, in a way. The author spent so much time exploring the main character's feelings, and then her feelings about her feelings - and then this thing happens where it might actually be worth exploring her feelings and how she handles it - and then she doesn't. 

Entirely forgettable. The only good thing is that it was only 300 pages, and it was still much too long. I read someone saying this would have worked better as a short story, and while I'm no fan of short stories, I wholeheartedly agree.

Great review! I read this books a few years ago and I felt the same way about it. I could just feel the build up, but then what happened was such a huge disappointment. 

Although I have to say, even though I was disappointed with the novel back when I read it, the book's stayed in my mind all these years. I saw a cheap copy of it at the book fair and almost bought it. I think a re-read might make a difference. 

I read about you and visiting the cemetery. I don't know what to say. Sending hugs! :empathy:

Thank you, @frankie:)

Now I'm wondering if maybe I'll have the same experience with The Woman Upstairs!

Guys, I'm horrible. My friend likes to send me important letters/e-mails/documents before sending them off so I can check for spelling, grammar, writing etc. because she knows I notice the details. She just sent me her résumé, which she's just renewed. At the very end, when talking about her hobbies and personal interests, she mentions books and says her collections holds about 150 copies. It's quite clear this is supposed to be a lot. My first thought was: "Aww, how cute. 150."

20 hours ago, Alexander the Great said:

My dad and I went to the cemetery yesterday and it had been a while. As a kid, we had to go so much for my grandparents that when I was a teenager, my mom said it was up to me if I wanted to keep going every year, because she felt it was unfair on me to make me go, that I'd had to go so much as a kid that she understood if I rather didn't. So for years, I never went. I'd gone to cemeteries all my life and I couldn't take it anymore. Thinking back, I think my mom said I didn't have to go anymore around the time I had to go hospital every day when I was 15.

Then when a very good friend committed suicide and was buried in the same cemetery three years ago, I've gone maybe once a year to visit his grave and then I also go to my family. But yesterday, mom asked me to go with dad to put flowers on the graves for Nov 1st, and it was a strange experience. I've been to their graves on my own, but it had been ages since I'd gone with my dad, or my parents. I felt like for years I'd blocked off my sadness and anger, and now it was all coming out. I also put flowers on my friend's grave and it was so heart-wrenching because he's buried with his dad, and then his mom died earlier this year and I hadn't seen the grave since then and didn't know she was buried with her husband and son. And it also made me angry, for complicated reasons. Seeing my dad so vulnerable was also strange, because usually he really keeps strong for my mom, but my mom wasn't there - and I've always been so focused on her I'd never before noticed how it affects my dad. It was overall weird, and I left quite confused.

I'm so sorry about the difficult grief you're going through :empathy:.

10 hours ago, Alexander the Great said:

Guys, I'm horrible. My friend likes to send me important letters/e-mails/documents before sending them off so I can check for spelling, grammar, writing etc. because she knows I notice the details. She just sent me her résumé, which she's just renewed. At the very end, when talking about her hobbies and personal interests, she mentions books and says her collections holds about 150 copies. It's quite clear this is supposed to be a lot. My first thought was: "Aww, how cute. 150."

:giggle2:.

On 30-10-2017 at 12:52 AM, Little Pixie said:

If you 've had major bereavement, I find that grief is a constant companion, it's just that sometimes, it's really well hidden. Sending hugs too.:empathy:

I love the 150 comment. :giggle2: 

Thank you :) I think it was also a confusing day because I had all these different kids of grief all at once - for uncles who died before I was even born, and who died at their own hand. For grandparents I don't remember, but have heard so much about, both positive and negative things. For a grandparent I do remember a little. For a great-uncle and great-aunt who were like my grandparents. For a friend who was only a year older and died only three years ago. Also, all the emotions attached to all those people, how their deaths have affected my parents and my life. I was a bit of a mess. So thanks for the hugs, I can use them :) 

Thank you for the hugs as well, @Athena :) 

The Shock of the Fall review

Perhaps an odd remark, but this was much better than I expected.

The main character suffers from mental illness, but the portrayal of his mental health is very genuine and honest. The effect it has on his life, the way it controls his life, is shown very clearly - but it's not his single defining feature. We get to know what Matt is like as a kid and then as a young adult. He's complicated - he's not the goody-two-shoes, but he's not bad either. He felt very real. His story also felt very real.

I also liked how the author had one very dramatic event, and didn't feel the need to add more unnecessary drama. The focus is really on Matthew, his grief, his coping process. His struggle, too. I feel that Filer really got it right when it comes to describing a life with mental health issues - how it's not always terribly bad, but still so bad that it can never be exhilaratingly good. 

Also interesting was how realistic Matt's memories are. I think many authors would be inclined to write him as having these exact memories of his brother. Matt was 9 years old when his brother died, and near the end of the book he says it outright - he has flashes of memories, an image or a colour, and words that someone might have said, or maybe said some other time and he mixed it up. He doesn't have complete memories of his brother with a beginning, a middle and an end. This is something that often bugs me in books - how people have such clear memories of their childhood.

Ultimately, there is so much hope and reality in this. Will definitely recommend it.

On 1-11-2017 at 2:52 PM, Athena said:

Great review of The Shock of the Fall! I'm glad you really liked it :). I read it a couple of years ago and really liked it too.

When it comes to books - especially novels - about mental illness or with a character who struggles with their mental healthy, I'm so used to the author getting it all wrong, all the clichés being used and the extremes being presented. This was such a nice surprise.

I went to the Book Fair in Antwerp yesterday. It had been a few years since I last went. It tends to be quite crowded and at some stands also quite cramped. The fair is organised by publisher - each publisher has a stand, as well as two or three bookstores, of which two are chains. Everything, both the books and the food, is very expensive and you have to pay entrance. There aren't many English books there. Authors do go there for a Q& A and signing sessions, but the fair lasts about two weeks so it's quite spread out.

As a kid, I loved to go. Of course, I was completely dependent on my parents for my book supply. We'd also go with school and I just loved being surrounded by books. I got older, started buying my own books and discovering better alternatives. I've gone a few times, but each year they seem to get more expensive and less my taste. It had been four years since I last went. But my sister hadn't gone in years and years, and since having her baby we haven't done anything just the two of us, and she'd asked me if I wanted to go together. I thought it would be a nice sibling moment - and it was. I bought these two books, which I read last year and absolutely adored. They're not that easy to find. The third book was also there, but only as a hardcover. Much more expensive and since I got these two as paperback, I want the third one as a paperback as well.

23132008_10155762824623389_5177814876105 

In other news, Epica announced this week that they're doing a special show in April. It'll be their 1000th concert and 15-year-anniversary (they started as Sahara Dust in 2002, but changed their name to Epica in early 2003 and released their debut in 2003). I'm seeing them in Dublin on April 10th, then I'm flying to Manchester from there to see them on April 12th. In Manchester, I'm staying with friends I met in the queue in Leuven and Antwerp. Then I'm flying home on Friday and on the 14th, the next day, I'm seeing them in Tilburg.

I got my early bird ticket this morning, and opted for the bundle so I'll have a cool shirt as well. The early bird tickets went on sale this morning at 11am. I had set my alarm, which I never do on a Saturday, so I would be sure I'd be back in time from my run to get the tickets at 11. I ended up waking up at 4.15am, at 6am and again at 7.15am - so nervous apparently. Got my ticket at 11am sharp :D 

15 hours ago, Alexander the Great said:

When it comes to books - especially novels - about mental illness or with a character who struggles with their mental healthy, I'm so used to the author getting it all wrong, all the clichés being used and the extremes being presented. This was such a nice surprise.

That's true, sometimes authors get it wrong. I really don't like it when mental illness is represented wrongly. If I can, I try to read some reviews of a book dealing with mental illness, before reading it, so I get an impression of if it's been well done or if the author got it wrong.

I went to the Book Fair in Antwerp yesterday. It had been a few yeas since I last went. It tends to be quite crowded and at some stands also quite cramped. The fair is organised by publisher - each publisher has a stand, as well as two or three bookstores, of which two are chains. Everything, both the books and the food, is very expensive and you have to pay entrance. There aren't many English books there. Authors do go there for a Q& A and signing sessions, but the fair lasts about two weeks so it's quite spread out.

As a kid, I loved to go. Of course, I was completely dependent on my parents for my book supply. We'd also go with school and I just loved being surrounded by books. I got older, started buying my own books and discovering better alternatives. I've gone a few times, but each year they seem to get more expensive and less my taste. It had been four years since I last went. But my sister hadn't gone in years and years, and since having her baby we haven't done anything just the two of us, and she'd asked me if I wanted to go together. I thought it would be a nice sibling moment - and it was. I bought these two books, which I read last year and absolutely adored. They're not that easy to find. The third book was also there, but only as a hardcover. Much more expensive and since I got these two as paperback, I want the third one as a paperback as well.

Awesome! I'm glad you had a great time with your sister at the book fair :). It's nice to spend time with your siblings :). I loved The Pillars of the Earth and World Without End too, such great books. There does exist a paperback edition of the third book, though I don't know about its availability in Belgium. My dad just came back from his trip to India and he bought me a paperback version of the third book there (as a birthday present). I don't know if it's available outside of India though, as I have searched on Dutch websites and was only able to find a hardcover here. I hope you will be able to find the paperback edition in Belgium some time.

In other news, Epica announced this week that they're doing a special show in April. It'll be their 1000th concert and 15-year-anniversary (they started as Sahara Dust in 2002, but changed their name to Epica in early 2003 and released their debut in 2003). I'm seeing them in Dublin on April 10th, then I'm flying to Manchester from there to see them on April 12th. In Manchester, I'm staying with friends I met in the queue in Leuven and Antwerp. Then I'm flying home on Friday and on the 14th, the next day, I'm seeing them in Tilburg.

I got my early bird ticket this morning, and opted for the bundle so I'll have a cool shirt as well. The early bird tickets went on sale this morning at 11am. I had set my alarm, which I never do on a Saturday, so I would be sure I'd be back in time from my run to get the tickets at 11. I ended up waking up at 4.15am, at 6am and again at 7.15am - so nervous apparently. Got my ticket at 11am sharp :D

I had no idea Epica used to be called Sahara Dust! Anyway, concerts are not really my thing, but I am excited for you :D. I wish you lots of fun :D. Please post about it after you've been, so I can enjoy reading about your experience :).

I know I haven't been around much this week, but I'm going through a very difficult time right now. My life seems to be falling apart and there's nothing I can do to stop it. I don't know how I'm going to survive this. I feel like my head's going to explode. I haven't been able to read very much - or eat or drink or think or breathe well at all.

I don't mean to worry anyone, just letting you know why I've not been here much.

I'm so sorry things aren't going great for you :(. I wish you lots of strength through these tough times :empathy:. I hope things will get better soon. :hug:

If you want to, you can always contact me via PM or email (I can give you my email address if you PM me).

Thanks, Athena :) 

As I'm sure many here will understand, I feel like reading has in part preserved my sanity these last two weeks. It probably helps that I'm reading an Irving novel - the author is familiar to me and he tends to always use similar themes, concepts, ways of story-telling. I do think I'll need to re-read when I feel better, because I have a feeling I'm not fully appreciating this work due to the stress I'm experiencing.

I've been reading Last Night in Twisted River :)

Last Night in Twisted River review

She bu de. I can't bear to let go.

Even though no subsequent Irving novel has captured and engrossed me the way In One Person did, the phrase mentioned above definitely rings true for Last Night in Twisted River. Personally, I think this feeling can be mostly attributed to the characters. This novel is very clearly character-driven.

There is no real plot, but the novel is so much more than 'slices of life'. We follow Daniel Baciagalupo throughout his life, but not in chronological order. We meet him at different ages, at different places, at different phases of his life. For an Irving protagonist, he's quite subdued and I liked the fact that he wasn't extravagant or extraordinary. He's interesting enough to not be boring, but his character left enough room for others to shine. Dominic (his father), Ketchum, Six-Pack Pam, Injun Jane, Joe, Carmella, Katie, Lupita, Lady Sky - and so many others are all very distinct personalities. Following the interactions of these characters as actions bring about unexpected consequences was simply riveting. I also loved how it became full-circle at the end, loved that hint of meta fiction.

I did feel that some characters weren't developed enough - we only really touched the surface of Joe, and I felt there was more to Rosie than we learnt through the stories of Ketchum and Injun Jane. I always like to read Irving's family histories, but I would have liked him to have expanded on it more in this novel. His regular themes come back - there's wrestling and academie, but not overbearingly so. It was mostly in the background. Reading Irving, all his male protagonists seem to have a thing for large women or women who are really too old for them - and often both. I might have already felt this with other novels, but it's becoming a bit old and tired. 

This won't stop me from reading more Irving, though. The funny thing is, whenever I read the blurbs of his novels I don't think I'll be that interested, yet every time the novel sweeps me off my feet and leaves me wanting more. Even though this novel was far from perfect, I'm sad to have to let these people go.

Next up is Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express.

Edited by Alexander the Great

I haven't read Last Night in Twisted River, but it's one of the few Irving novels I own. I'm glad you enjoyed the novel :).

How odd about the male protagonists often liking larger women or older women. Not that that's a strange thing on itself or anything, but what's odd is that it happens frequently in Irving's novels.

I hope you enjoy Murder on the Orient Express :). I quite liked it when I read it a few years ago.

12 hours ago, Alexander the Great said:

I'm enjoying Murder on the Orient Express so far!

That's nice to hear, I hope you enjoy the whole book :)!

12 hours ago, Alexander the Great said:

We went and picked up my new reading chair today. I had a black Poäng from Ikea before and this is my new reading chair.

That's a great looking chair :)! Nice bookshelves and cushion too :D. Great pictures :)!!

Murder on the Orient Express review

Being Belgian, it's a crime that I've read a Poirot story before!

As you can imagine, I'd heard quite a bit about Agatha Christie and her most famous character, Hercule Poirot. I also believe this is the most famous story starring the Belgian detective. I had high expectations, and they were definitely met.

This story being written almost a century ago, the writing style is obviously different - but I enjoyed that. Christie writes a very vivid tale with enough details for the reader to easily picture the story, but not so many that it becomes a drag. The characters were cleverly put together, the plot moved along at a good pace. The reveal in the end was very surprising, which is obviously the aim of any good detective story. Right before the end I got a bit annoyed at the amount of coincidence, but even that is deal with.

I'll definitely be reading more. This was part of a collection of five Poirot stories and I've started on the next one, Cards on the Table.

I'm glad you enjoyed Murder on the Orient Express :). I really liked it too.

Just curious, did you read it in Dutch or in English? I read it in English from my library but by now most of my Agatha Christie books are in Dutch, though I own a few English ones as well.