Ben's Books 2017.

Ben

Also went into WH Smiths today for first bookshop visit of 2017 and DIDN'T BUY ANYTHING. I haven't even promised not to buy as many books this year but something is telling me to at least wait a little while.

:alc:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read any Kerouac but I do have On The Road on my wishlist as it's one of those books that always appear on 'must read' lists. I may struggle with his writing style though - I've read a few books like that and always struggled with them. :o

Hope you enjoy On Beauty. I've read White Teeth which I enjoyed, but couldn't even finish NW.

Hope you enjoy On Beauty, Ben.  I loved it, but it got mixed reviews in my book group.  On the other hand, I tried starting White Teeth and I don't think I even made it to page 20 before I gave up.

Thanks Claire. It's amazing how divisive Smith is... for every person that loves a certain one of her novels, there is another that doesn't like it. Promising early signs with On Beauty - she has a beautiful writing style and I'm very intrigued about the direction she'll take the story.

I haven't read any Kerouac but I do have On The Road on my wishlist as it's one of those books that always appear on 'must read' lists. I may struggle with his writing style though - I've read a few books like that and always struggled with them. :o

Hope you enjoy On Beauty. I've read White Teeth which I enjoyed, but couldn't even finish NW.

I'd be reluctant to recommend On the Road if you feel you'll struggle with the language - Kerouac's stream-of-consciousness writing style is not easy at all to follow. I personally think it's worth persevering with, but I know many others don't agree.

Thank you. It's interesting that you have the exact same opinion as me for all her different books. Shall report back with how I get on with this one. :P

Happy Reading in 2017 Ben!  :hug: Good luck in your new job too .. exciting times. Well done also for having already read a book in 2017 .. that's good going!  :D 

Thank you and right back atcha', hope it's a great reading year. :friends0: Yep, we shall see how it goes. Well... I cheated a bit as I'd read a little bit before 2017 but whose counting? :P

Also went into WH Smiths today for first bookshop visit of 2017 and DIDN'T BUY ANYTHING. I haven't even promised not to buy as many books this year but something is telling me to at least wait a little while.

Well done! We all know how hard it can be not to buy 'too many' books.

Thanks, Peacefield. I love King, my problem is I just never get around to those big door-stoppers! :lol: I will make The Shining a priority though. Hope you have a fabulous 2017 filled with wonderful books. :D

Thanks, Ben!  I know what you mean about the big door-stoppers ;)  I don't remember if you had this one listed, but Joyland is a nice little 'true crime' book King wrote that I loved and would highly recommend as well :D.

Well done! We all know how hard it can be not to buy 'too many' books.

:lol: Absolutely! (Can't imagine I'll hold out long...)

I haven't actually been in any bookshops this year....yet!

This is probably the only solution to not buying any new books. :P

Thanks, Ben!  I know what you mean about the big door-stoppers ;)  I don't remember if you had this one listed, but Joyland is a nice little 'true crime' book King wrote that I loved and would highly recommend as well :D.

Ooh, I did not, will definitely check that one out. Thank you for the recommendation. ;)

Oh dear - I'm halfway through NW and struggling! I'm reading other things alongside it because I'm reluctant to abandon but maybe I should take the hint...

Happy reading in 2017 Ben! You've got an amazingly varied TBR. No doubt I will add many to my wish list as a result of your thoughts....

Oh dear - I'm halfway through NW and struggling! I'm reading other things alongside it because I'm reluctant to abandon but maybe I should take the hint...

Happy reading in 2017 Ben! You've got an amazingly varied TBR. No doubt I will add many to my wish list as a result of your thoughts....

Well, if you're not enjoying it, I say life's too short. There are too many other books waiting. ;)

You too, Alexi. My TBR is nuts, but yes, here's hoping I can prompt some good reads in your direction. :friends0:

Little reading update: currently making my way through Zadie Smith's On Beauty and so far really enjoying it. Love Smith's range of characters - I feel like each member of the Belsey family has a distinct personality and that she's spent a lot of time really moulding them. The feel of it - and the style of writing - reminds me of McEwan's work, and I sense there probably isn't going to be too much in the way of plot. I've read about half so far so could be wrong, though... need more hours in the day! :lol:

I hope you have a fantastic reading year in 2017, Ben! May you find many literary gems :smile2:

Thank you Frankie, I hope your 2017 reading is wonderful too! I'm sure I'll be finding many literary gems in your thread to be fair... ;)

Happy Reading in 2017. :)

Hurray - Jasper Fforde and Terry Pratchett are in your TBR. :D

Thanks, LP. Right back atcha'. :friends3:

Jasper Fforde I've been meaning to read forever now, so definitely this year, and I'm sure Pratchett will sneak a few on the list. He's already ear-marked as my go-to 'lighter', funny reads author, to break up some of the big beasties. :lol:

Edited by Ben

Can't wait to read your review of On Beauty, Ben.  Did you know it was (very) loosely based on Howard's End by E M Forster?  I must admit, I think that influenced my feelings for it, as I love the original book, and it added something to the reading for me.

Can't wait to read your review of On Beauty, Ben.  Did you know it was (very) loosely based on Howard's End by E M Forster?  I must admit, I think that influenced my feelings for it, as I love the original book, and it added something to the reading for me.

Hi Claire, sorry I haven't got around to it, finished late Friday night and it has been a busy weekend. Will try type some more thorough thoughts up later, but I thought it was really good. Smith's writing style is (usually) right up my street; her descriptions are fantastic, the humour is light and playful, and she writes so brilliantly about how we're all essentially flawed... and love, relationships, friendships. As you can see, it's hard for me to clearly put down on (virtual) paper what I feel about her books. :lol:

It's funny you should mention Howard's End, I found that out a few days ago after reading some Gooreads reviews. It's interesting, I haven't read it and I'd imagine that knowing the homage aspect would definitely add something when reading Smith's book. Shame I never knew/had read the book beforehand. :mellow:

Edited by Ben

In the meantime... I let the OH pick my next read completely at random from the TBR list. This could have quite easily resulted in me reading something I'm not really in the mood for, but I took the risk! *laughs* She picked out A Gathering Light by Jennifer Donnelly (US title is: A Northern Light) - a book and author I've never really heard much about. So we'll see how we go. :lol:

Synopsis

When Mattie is given letters by a guest at the hotel where she has a summer job, she thinks the guest is simply upset. But when the woman is found drowned next day, Mattie must decide whether she will read them, or burn them as requested. A touching funny surprising novel set in 1906 and based on a true story.

Definitely doesn't sound like my usual fare - but you never know, I might get a surprise. :yes:

Have a great 2017 Ben! We have a fair few books in common, I particularly liked Human Traces, The Blasphemer, The Island, Jamaica Inn and A Thousand Splendid Suns and am really looking forward to a good half a dozen of our shared TBR books. :)

Thanks chalie, you too, hope 2017 is a great one! :yes: Shall make a mental note of your recommendations and bump them up the list. Can't wait to check through your blog throughout the year and see how you get on. :smile2:

Currently about halfway through A Gathering Light and it isn't half-bad, actually. Definitely not what I was expecting and I feel like it's a little bit slow, but Jennifer Donnelly's writing is particularly evocative and I've got a soft spot for some lovely descriptions. Will be interested to see if the pace picks up a bit in the second half and we get a bit more plot. :yes:

I enjoyed A Gathering Light.

Finished on the bus on the way home - didn't exactly blow me away, but it was pretty good and it had some completely unexpected moments that really moved me. Shall write up a few more thoughts in a little while. :smile2:

Edited by Ben

A Gathering Light by Jennifer Donnelly

Not really sure what to say about this one, as I'm a little bit still on the fence. I knew from the outset that it wouldn't be my usual fare - a novel set in the early 1900s and based on a real-life event (of which I won't say more because: spoilers). It's also for "children or young adults" according to the publisher's site - which I can, now I've finished, agree with - so again I wasn't sure exactly what to expect.

It was, however - for the most part, at least - a very enjoyable book. Donnelly writes well, with an eye for period detail and with a lovely deft touch that frequently manages to have the reader chuckling despite some of the miserable conditions and family lifestyles being portrayed. The plot unfurls at an admittedly slow place, as we focus on Mathilda "Mattie" Gokey - a feisty, smart young girl who dreams about being a writer and moving away to college to pursue her dreams.

Mattie is passionate about both writing and reading - looking up a new 'word of the day' in her dictionary every morning. For this reader, some of the best bits in the book were the entertaining 'word duels' that took place between Matt and her best friend Weaver Smith, from who she is inseparable and who also has similar goals and academic aspirations.

Yet with her mother dead, her sisters to look after, and the farm work to do, for Mattie this may all be a pipe dream. Donnelly keeps us guessing which way it'll go while using concurrent narrative threads - one a present day exploration of everyday life in North Woods, the other the story of Mattie's time working at a hotel nearby, and ultimately what she discovers while she is there.

Ultimately, A Gathering Light was a good read. Not spectacular, but a slow exploration of the importance of working hard to achieve your goals and making the best of the cards life deals you. Donnelly has a great cast of characters - one of which, Miss Wilcox, Mattie's teacher, is one of the stars of the show - and writes assuredly as she gently brings the two threads of the narrative together in a satisfying conclusion.

Again, not my usual read, but this time, I'm glad I made the effort to go out of my comfort zone.

★★★☆☆

Edited by Ben