Ben's Books 2017.

Ben

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed "Tenant", definitely one of the better Bronte books.

I don't think I could read 3 at once!

Good news! Yeah, I won't be reading them 'at once' as such, there will likely be very little flicking between at all. Just like to be prepared. :lol:

:giggle:  I`ve heard rumours that they wear a special Super Hero costume. ;)

Oh my! Wonder if they have individual costumes and specialities and everything. :lol:

Edited by Ben

I'll be interested to see your thoughts on Tenant of Wildfell Hall. Personally, I'd put it up there with Jane Eyre & Wuthering Heights for Bronte novels 

I'll be interested to see your thoughts on Tenant of Wildfell Hall. Personally, I'd put it up there with Jane Eyre & Wuthering Heights for Bronte novels 

High praise indeed. :yes:

Sorry about the lack of updates, folks! In all honesty, I'm only just recovering from the illness I've had lately and although I have still been reading, I haven't been all that enthusiastic about logging in and posting updates. I'm also super behind on reviews - some of them are ear-marked for full-blown reviews, others not so much. *shrugs*

So I've finished a couple of books since I last posted:

Pet Semetary by Stephen King

I really, really enjoyed this. I've always been a bit unsure about Stephen King. I've never been disappointed with anything of his that I've read, but I'm not big on supernatural books in general. Thankfully, with King, his writing - that perfect blend of horror, building creepiness, deft wit and humour - does enough for me to not worry about how far-fetched everything is.

Pet Semetary is no different. There's the inevitable supernatural aspects, but there's something real about King's writing that makes you swallow it easier, and indeed look about you now and again in the early hours of the morning when the wind is rattling at the windows and the darkness full. I tend not to get scared with horror fiction, but King is a master of his craft and you can't help but feel unnerved.

For me, this was a fabulous exploration of a seemingly perfect life, and what one person will do to keep things just right. Louis Creed - physician father, rational man - may just have to reconsider his whole world to keep his family safe.

(Also, anyone who has read this and remembers it well, I need to DISCUSS SOMETHING.)

★★★★☆

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë

So last year me and the OH decided to do the '2016 Classics Challenge', which is basically the idea of reading one classic book every month in an effort to expand your reading and perhaps read some books you might not have done. The girlfriend and I did this successfully throughout 2016, each reading the same book - chosen alternately by both of us. As it went so well, we decided to do it again. (Although Charlie might be struggling to actually do this month's... but that's another story.)

I'm woefully ignorant of the Brontë sisters work - which is tragic, considering they lived most of their lives five minutes from where I live. I've read Charlotte's Jane Eye and Emily's Wuthering Heights, but haven't explored any of the lesser known works. After reading The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, I'm delighted that I partly resolved my ignorance. This is a fantastic book - a 'story within a story' that unravels at just the right pace, with a surprising amount of humour and a narrative that, although slow in places, captures your attention for most of its almost 600 pages.

One of the first prominent works of feminist fiction, The Tenant of WIldfell Hall has a fantastic cast of characters - not many of which you would like to bob down to the pub with for a pint, admittedly - but all of which have an individual voice and are well-drawn. I didn't find anyone particularly likeable, but I don't necessarily need that from my fiction: there were some delightful téte-á-téte's throughout the novel, and again I found myself chuckling a surprisingly frequent amount.

Once again our decision to do the 'classics challenge' has resulted in another enjoyable book that I may have left festering on my TBR pile. Very chuffed.

★★★★☆

Glad you liked it Ben I think it's very under-rated.

Me too! You don't hear of it half as much as Jane Eyre but I definitely enjoyed it.

I've had The Tenant of Wildfell Hall on my future reading list for a long time, but the English Counties challenge is keeping me busy on my classics quota at the moment, so I think it'll be another year or so before I get to it, but I defintely want to read it. That one, and Agnes Grey, which is also close to the top of that reading list. I think I've already downloaded free Kindle editions, so they're there waiting for me, but they'll have to wait patiently for a little bit longer. :D

I've had The Tenant of Wildfell Hall on my future reading list for a long time, but the English Counties challenge is keeping me busy on my classics quota at the moment, so I think it'll be another year or so before I get to it, but I defintely want to read it. That one, and Agnes Grey, which is also close to the top of that reading list. I think I've already downloaded free Kindle editions, so they're there waiting for me, but they'll have to wait patiently for a little bit longer. :D

I definitely think you'd like The Tenant, Claire. There's a lot of humour and a wonderful cast of - not particularly nice! - characters. I'm more interested in getting to Agnes Grey now as well. Oh and I'm sure they'll wait just fine. :lol:

A belated Happy Reading Year! :D

Your book mojo is doing just fine, I see. Interesting lists up front, good luck with all of it. I have some on the shelves around here in common.

I like your method of reviewing. I agree, sometimes ya just don't feel like it. Or the book doesn't warrant, for whatever reason, a full going over. Thumbnails are fine. :). I know I've slacked off quite a bit.

A belated Happy Reading Year! :D

Your book mojo is doing just fine, I see. Interesting lists up front, good luck with all of it. I have some on the shelves around here in common.

I like your method of reviewing. I agree, sometimes ya just don't feel like it. Or the book doesn't warrant, for whatever reason, a full going over. Thumbnails are fine. :). I know I've slacked off quite a bit.

Hey pontalba, many thanks - and you too! :yes: It's been a great start to the year, here's hoping it carries on...

Yep, like many others I've made the reading log much more simple this year, and that goes for reviews too! I'd rather just put less pressure on myself and write when I want to write. Reading is first and foremost this year. The rest will come or it won't. :P

So, I don't really know this best place to put this, but I'm probably not going to be around much for the foreseeable. Been hit for six by something I didn't see coming and it's going to take me a long time to recover - if I ever do. I might keep the first bit of the thread updated with books I've read, but I don't know.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Edited by Ben

Ben, very sorry that Life has upended for you.  I hope everything will be better for you asap. 

Sending the bestest of wishes your way.  Take care and do try to keep in touch as you are able.  People here care about your welfare.