The Last Film You Saw - 2017

Athena

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched Fantastic Beasts and where to find them yesterday, it was soooo amazing. I thought the animals were really good animated, and I thought the demiguise was the cutest animal on earth.

The Great Escape - James Garner, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, James Coburn, Richard Attenborough, James Donald, and so many more.

Great film that I never tire of watching.

Edited by muggle not

"Before I go to Sleep" - it was OK, I have read the book.

How was the book? Someone recently mentioned it to me but I haven't read it.

Yesterday we watched Journey to Agartha also known as Children Who Chase Lost Voices in the U.S. . It's a Japanese anime film by Makoto Shinkai. We both liked the film for the most part, the art style was nice, the music was nice, the plot was nice, the characters were nice, the only thing we didn't like was the ending. It felt rushed and anti-climactic. We were expecting more of the ending. Other than the ending though, we did quite like the rest of the film.

willoyd:

I thought it was a relatively happy ending, perhaps bittersweet, because the characters got what they wanted. In my view, the story is about how they grew in the pursuit of their dreams and how it meant they eventually grew apart. However, how much have they grown and how many memories, how many feelings they nurture because they lived their lives to the fullest; besides, if they didn't have that thirst for their dreams, they wouldn't meet in the first place, nor would they have the character that made them fall in love.

Yes, I recognise that, and I suppose one can take a positive out of it.  I just hated the fact that their drive for 'success' ultimately got in the way, and that the message was that it was more important.  It wasn't beyond the wit of the director to enable them to achieve their dreams together.  For me it said more about modern Hollywood than anything I've seen recently - and I didn't like it one jot! 

How was the book? Someone recently mentioned it to me but I haven't read it.

The book was quite good although I think the initial idea sort of ran out of steam a bit, in the film it's all done much faster and is more of a "woman in peril" type situation and felt quite rushed, but I think the ending of the book was spoilt it by being the usual silly woman who finds herself alone and has to save herself scenario. 

Just home from watching Hacksaw Ridge, oh my, I feel emotionally exhausted, it was relentless and graphic, so so graphic, I was going to take my 15 year old daughter to watch it but I honestly think it should be an 18. It was amazing though, as was Andrew Garfield, I'm not surprised Mel Gibson has been nominated for best director at the Oscars.

Did I mention it was graphic? If that is a true depiction of war then it is easy to understand why my Grandfather and others who served chose not to ever talk about what they experienced.

Bridget Jones's Baby - I have to say I absolutely loved it.  I had been a little apprehensive about them bringing back the characters so long after the last one but I have to say I think they did a brilliant job.  Laughed from start to finish and I loved the way they ended it - the perfect finale if it is the last one, but yet leaving it open for a potential fourth one.  Perfect.

The Girl On the Train. Enjoyed it, quite suspenseful and had me guessing until near the end.

Just watched this too and was prepared to hate it because of all the changes but in fact enjoyed it .. probably because I knew it didn't stick that closely to the book. Hubby enjoyed it too though he hasn't read the book (and he did intend to but that's out of the question now .. he knows the twist!) I thought Emily Blunt was pretty fab.

The book is a million times better but I've seen far, far, worse.

Anyway, it was our Valentine's movie :D Not very romantic but there you go. I don't really do rom-coms :blush2:  

Fifty Shades Darker. It is the comedy of the year. I laughed so much I nearly had an accident. If you're looking for an erotic turn on, however, I recommend the Muppet Show. Kermit and Miss Piggy's relationship was far steamier than Christian and Anastasia's!!!

Fifty Shades Darker. It is the comedy of the year. I laughed so much I nearly had an accident. If you're looking for an erotic turn on, however, I recommend the Muppet Show. Kermit and Miss Piggy's relationship was far steamier than Christian and Anastasia's!!!

I kinda thought that about the first one so I didn't really expect anything more of the sequel. :giggle2: I didn't pay to see it, I hasten to add - I waited til it was on Sky movies. ;)