The Last Film You Saw - 2017

Athena

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Alexander the Great said:

I saw Memento this weekend. Very interesting and atypical, but I liked it!

That one is really great! But makes my head spin :D   I've seen it a few times and it takes a lot of concentration. Every time I'm in shock by the end. 

13 hours ago, Alexander the Great said:

I saw Memento this weekend. Very interesting and atypical, but I liked it!

13 hours ago, frankie said:

That one is really great! But makes my head spin :D   I've seen it a few times and it takes a lot of concentration. Every time I'm in shock by the end. 

Haven't seen it since the times of video cassettes - I recorded it, and after watching it through once, I then went back and watched it in chronological order (can't remember how it goes, but it's something like all the colour scenes are going forward and black and white going backward, or something!) So I rewound and fast forwarded as necessary to watch the whole thing chronologically :P

I most recently watched Punisher and Dredd. Punisher was okay, I prefer the version of him in the Netflix series Daredevil. Enjoyed Dredd, felt the characters were thin and the film not fleshed out enough, but I enjoyed it and am now interested in the world of Dredd. Apparently there's a character called Preacher who sounds really interesting,

49 minutes ago, Nollaig said:

Haven't seen it since the times of video cassettes - I recorded it, and after watching it through once, I then went back and watched it in chronological order (can't remember how it goes, but it's something like all the colour scenes are going forward and black and white going backward, or something!) So I rewound and fast forwarded as necessary to watch the whole thing chronologically :P

Wow, that took some time and dedication :D I wonder how long it took you to do it like that.  

@frankie Couple of hours, it wasn't too bad. It was regular run time plus however long it took to fast-forward or rewind as necessary. I must re-watch that film, though, I remember virtually nothing about it though I know I loved it.

On 7/22/2017 at 6:43 AM, Athena said:

We watched The Secret Life of Pets. It was okay, I enjoyed watching it but it wasn't the best movie ever (not that I was expecting that).

I watched that with my kids on Monday. James and I had seen it at the cinema and loved it then (he wanted to call our dog Max after seeing it :lol:), so I knew he'd want to watch it again. 

I saw I, Daniel Blake last night as it's on Amazon Prime. Really good but really depressing, especially as I believe it's supposed to be a pretty accurate portrayal of the state of the welfare system at the moment. :wibbly:

1 hour ago, Nollaig said:

Haven't seen it since the times of video cassettes - I recorded it, and after watching it through once, I then went back and watched it in chronological order (can't remember how it goes, but it's something like all the colour scenes are going forward and black and white going backward, or something!) So I rewound and fast forwarded as necessary to watch the whole thing chronologically

Much easier if you have the DVD/blu ray as I think there is a feature to play it in chronological order. ;)

36 minutes ago, More reading time required said:

Much easier if you have the DVD/blu ray as I think there is a feature to play it in chronological order. ;)

My 12 year old self with my collection of labelled cassette tapes would delight at that concept!

7 hours ago, Nollaig said:

@frankie Couple of hours, it wasn't too bad. It was regular run time plus however long it took to fast-forward or rewind as necessary. I must re-watch that film, though, I remember virtually nothing about it though I know I loved it.

I seriously applaud you for doing it! :D   I would've worried about rewinding too much and getting it all twisted. 

On 26-7-2017 at 11:50 AM, More reading time required said:

I watched that with my kids on Monday. James and I had seen it at the cinema and loved it then (he wanted to call our dog Max after seeing it :lol:), so I knew he'd want to watch it again.

I'm glad you and your children liked it too :).

Yesterday we watched Moana, I quite liked it. I wasn't sure what it would be about beforehand, I had only seen one trailer. But I enjoyed watching it :).

Hubby and I went to see 'Dunkirk' at the weekend. I thought it was very good, hubby did too but thought it was a bit disjointed. He knows his planes, war facts etc. so the odd little thing niggled. Was pleasantly surprised how well Harry Styles did in the film too.

Watched Movie 43. Apparently it was slated when it came out, but I found it pretty funny. Gross, stupid humour, but funny. What I liked most was probably the cast - knowing all those stars have that kind of sense of humor is great.

Went to the cinema this afternoon to watch Millions Like Us which was a black and white comedy drama propaganda film from 1943.  I really enjoyed watching it, and it was introduced by author Lissa Evans and producer Stephen Woolley - Lissa wrote the book that the recent film Their Finest was based on, and Stephen produced the film, and then after the screening, they came back and did a Q&A session about the impact of the propaganda films on the British film industry after the war.  Really interesting.

On 7/27/2017 at 0:33 PM, Athena said:

Yesterday we watched Moana, I quite liked it. I wasn't sure what it would be about beforehand, I had only seen one trailer. But I enjoyed watching it :).

That film will probably be next up for James too. :)  Although sometimes he resists watching films we recommend that he's never seen before, unless he thinks it's his idea! :D

18 hours ago, More reading time required said:

That film will probably be next up for James too. :)  Although sometimes he resists watching films we recommend that he's never seen before, unless he thinks it's his idea! :D

I hope he enjoys it :D. Haha, that's unusual :).

Yesterday we watched Speed Racer. I enjoyed it, it was pretty good :).

I saw Dunkirk just before my holiday. I thought it was pretty good. I like the way time was jumbled up and the individual stories overlapped each other.  The air combats seemed just a little bit too slow and relaxed to me compared to the extremely fraught life or death tensions of the landings! The stress of the old man on the little boat was also well acted. When things started going wrong he was only just equal to it, he kept going but the sadness was crushing him.
The scenes of how quickly boats sank were terrifying.
Water = death in this film.
I don't follow teen pop groups so I didn't know which one was Harry Styles. I think he was the one who joined them under the pier? 
I think it was good the way it concentrated on a few individual stories. The way it was done it is a very British film. If Hollywood had done it the finished result would have been very different. It would be like the difference between watching "Casualty" and "ER".
Thumbs up from me.
I might watch "Weekend a Zuydcoote" tonight to compare. It's a 1964 French film showing the French view of events.

Went to see Dunkirk at the cinema last week with my 16 and 12 year olds, a very powerful film, very little dialogue which you would expect from men who are physically and emotionally exhausted. Very deserving of the excellent reviews it has had so far. 

Yeaterday we saw Valerian, a bit young for me, perfect for my 16 year old daughter and a bit too lovey dovey for my 12 year old son!