The Last Film You Saw - 2017

Athena

I watched about half hour of the new live action Jungle Book. Things started to go wrong for me right at the start because Mowgli didn't look Indian enough and spoke with an American accent. Then things just seemed to get worse with the animals all having the wrong voices. When I got to Bhaloo and his voice was also wrong I couldn't stand it any more.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs. I'd heard of it, but never seen it. I enjoyed it, but it was so utterly bizarre that I really can't imagine how they pitched it so it'd get made!

8 hours ago, bobblybear said:

I watched Revolutionary Road last night. Thought it was a very good adaptation of the book. It was fairly depressing though. :mellow:

Yes I watched this back when it came out with my exwife back when we were still together. Not a good film to watch when your marriage is in trouble. :unsure: 

On 6-6-2017 at 0:52 PM, Nollaig said:

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2!

Really quite enjoyed it - thought the foodimals were ingenious!

I liked this one too when I watched it. The foodimals were indeed ingenious, in my opinion :).

Tron Legacy

Although the story was basically a re-run of the original, I really like this film. 

It's one of the best designed films I think I have ever seen and the Daft Punk soundtrack is excellent. 

It's such a shame Disney cancelled the follow up...

Survivor. Milla Jovovich, Pierce Brosnan.  Thriller set mainly in London. Milla J. Plays a US embassy worker who gets blamed for a bomb and goes on the run after the Baddies herself. Not brilliant, but rather enjoyable - and London looked great. :)

I watched a French rom com called Up With Love with Jean Dujardin (who was in The Artist).  He plays a four foot five architect who charms a woman over the phone after she left her mobile in a restaurant and the film follows whether romance will blossom, looking at the difficulties not only with her own reservations, but also with the perceptions from other people.  I enjoyed it. :D 

Went to the cinema to see My Cousin Rachel today.  I didn't really know much about the story, although I had intended to read the book, but haven't found time for it yet, and wanted to see this one on the big screen, so I decided to just see it anyway.  I thought it was fantastic.  

This isn't really a plot spoiler, but it's probably best if you don't already know the story that you go into it blind, as it were, but ...

Spoiler

I'd heard Rachel Weisz interviewed about it, and she said the director had told her to make up her mind whether her character was a femme fatale or not, but not to tell him, which is exactly what she did, and she hasn't told anyone what her decision was, and it's quite an ambiguous ending to leave it open to your own interpretation

... and after watching the film myself, I've made up my mind which I think it is. :D

11 minutes ago, chesilbeach said:

Went to the cinema to see My Cousin Rachel today.  I didn't really know much about the story, although I had intended to read the book, but haven't found time for it yet, and wanted to see this one on the big screen, so I decided to just see it anyway.  I thought it was fantastic.  

This isn't really a plot spoiler, but it's probably best if you don't already know the story that you go into it blind, as it were, but ...

Reveal hidden contents

I'd heard Rachel Weisz interviewed about it, and she said the director had told her to make up her mind whether her character was a femme fatale or not, but not to tell him, which is exactly what she did, and she hasn't told anyone what her decision was, and it's quite an ambiguous ending to leave it open to your own interpretation

... and after watching the film myself, I've made up my mind which I think it is. :D

I have never read this and wondered about this film, so I will be going into it totally blind. I better not look at your spoiler then Claire! Thanks for your recommendation. 

Mindscape, starring the always excellent Mark Strong. A psychological thriller with a twist - he plays a 'memory  detective', who goes into people's minds to see what really happened in a crime. I guessed some of what was really going on, but thought it was still worth seeing. :)

Sunshine On Leith. A really good film musical that uses 14 songs from the Scottish band The Proclaimers. 

It is a touching film that surprised me with it's depth. More than once I got teary, and definitely more than once I was singing along! :lol: