The Last Film You Saw - 2017

Athena

10 minutes ago, vodkafan said:

My kids love that film for some reason, I find it so boring and implausible! 

I don't mind implausible, it was just a bit of fun and thought the twist was good. We'll watch the sequel when it comes on TV . 

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hidden Figures

About the black women who worked at NASA on the space project in the 60s. They were largely unappreciated due to their gender and colour, despite being bloody geniuses and doing some absolutely stunning work - they were women ahead of their time, blazing a trail for the future generations. Brilliant film! <3

Rogue One 

Enjoyed it more this second time around. Still don't understand why they didn't make Vader the main villian, as it would have kept better continuity with Star Wars and significantly upped the tension, but hey-ho!

I watched Song to Song in the cinema, so I was able to follow the mood. I think I prefer the cinema to watch this type of slow, arthouse films, because I can't watch these movies at home in one sitting and there are other distractions. It's a good film; I didn't particularly enjoy it, but I felt satisfied in the end.

3 hours ago, Athena said:

A few days ago we watched Death Becomes Her, an older film, with Meryl Streep, Goldie Hawn and Bruce Willis. I hadn't seen it before. I enjoyed watching it.

I quite like that film. The first time I saw it I must have been about 7-8 and I ended up spending most of it hiding behind my mum. 

Then I saw it when I was a teenager and enjoyed it more.

18 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

I quite like that film. The first time I saw it I must have been about 7-8 and I ended up spending most of it hiding behind my mum. 

Then I saw it when I was a teenager and enjoyed it more.

Nice to hear someone else has seen it and liked it :).

I watched the 2011 version of Jane Eyre with Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender last night.  I really enjoyed it, and the bits of the books they'd cut out, I didn't miss at all.  I quite liked the start at the middle, go back to the beginning and then right through to the end style.

Last night I watched a French film from 2011 called Populaire set in the late 1950s about a village girl who loves to type and gets a job as a secretary in a big town, but is so bad at it except for the fact that she can type really fast.  Her boss says she can keep her job if she agrees to enter a competition for the fastest typist and lets him train her.  It's a romcom, and I thought it was absolutely charming, and it left me with a big smile on my face. :smile2:

On 2017-5-16 at 10:58 AM, Athena said:

A few days ago we watched Death Becomes Her, an older film, with Meryl Streep, Goldie Hawn and Bruce Willis. I hadn't seen it before. I enjoyed watching it.

I love this film.  I've seen it numerous times, although admittedly not for a while, but it always makes me laugh.

Independence Day: Resurgence 

Possibly one of the best films I've ever seen! Great characterisation, a stonking plot & some well rounded performances. It left me wanting more! 

#actuallyitwastheexactoppositeofthat

1 hour ago, Raven said:

Possibly one of the best films I've ever seen! Great characterisation, a stonking plot & some well rounded performances. It left me wanting more! 

:giggle2:

I remember seeing the first one in the cinema - a midnight showing cos it was so sold out - there was complete silence at the end of the film, then someone remarked ` gosh, that was awful ` ( though perhaps not in  exact words... ) and the entire packed-out cinema agreed with him. :)

To be fair, I did like the first film (and remember walking out of a '96 cinema that was cheering come the end!).

Yes, it is was uneven, with the first half being all doom and portent and the second half degenerating into a bit of a romp, but it was what is was - a summer blockbuster that was generally quite a bit of fun.

This one really wasn't. 

It was a stale re-hash that tried to work in as many references to the original as it could, whilst completely failing to do anything original.

Proof, to my mind, that bigger/more doesn't mean better!

Catching up on films lately!

I saw

Guardians Of The Galaxy 2  A success for me. More of the same without being a formula. Ripping fun.

Central Intelligence    (mediocre)

Daddy's Home  (funny- about the only film I like starring Will Ferrell)

A Monster Calls  (my kids were riveted to the screen the whole time- I thought it was OK but couldn't get into it 100%)

Passengers . (from the trailer I had a completely different idea of what it was going to be about. So I was really pleased when it turned out to be a "love story in space".  A simple plot with a moral dilemma, but plenty enough danger and action. I enjoyed it very much . It stands up as SF and as a mainstream film, in my opinion.

On 2017-5-25 at 9:27 PM, Raven said:

:lol: Had me going there! I gave up on it...thought it was sooooo bad! Shame, as I loved the first film. :lol:

I watched Larry Crowne last night.  I'd not seen many good reviews for it, but also didn't know much about it, so was pleasantly surprised.  Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, Bryan Cranston, Taraji P. Henson, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Rita Wilson, directed by Hanks, written by Hanks and Nia Vardolos ... what's not to like? I thoroughly enjoyed it. :smile2: