The Last Film You Saw - 2017

Athena

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caught the last hour or so of Dirty Dancing last night, great film.  And it hasn't dated in the way that Saturday Night Fever has, which looks horrible dated now!

Sadly you are right about Saturday Night Fever. It's those lapels and bellbottoms!! 

I watched an Italian film called The Salt of Life (in English, although the Italian name was Gianni e le donne which I think translates as Gianni and The Ladies).  Comic drama about a late middle-aged man having a midlife crisis, struggling with a demanding elderly mother who fritters away money, and wishing he could take a mistress.  Not bad, but can't say I want to watch it again.

I just got back from seeing Ghost In The Shell. DISAPPOINTED!!   :banghead:  :banghead:  :doh:

Oh well I just have to pin my hopes on Luc Besson and Valerian: City of a Thousand Planets in July....

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see Elle today.  Complex, challenging, and thoroughly absorbing.  Isabelle Huppert is absolutely on peak form (she was great in Things to Come as well).  I gather the director, Paul Verhoeven, gave up trying to find an American actress who could handle the role, so rather than set it in America as he originally intended, he went back to the orginal book's location, Paris, and learned French so that he could direct the French cast and crew more precisely.  Huppert thoroughly deserved her nomination for Best Actress at the last Oscars.  Having now seen all but Meryl Streep's performance of the nominations, I'm amazed Emma Stone won the award (I know I've said this before, but it bear repeating).  For me, she's definitely fourth out of the four, and it should have been a toss-up between Huppert and Portman (although I wouldn't have jibed at Ruth Negga winning).  Says so much to me about the Oscars.  I'm also left mildly wondering why Elle wasn't nominated for best foreign language - but then I've not seen the others.  I wonder if the nominators couldn't handle the content.

Edited by willoyd

Yesterday we watched Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. I enjoyed this movie. It did take me a bit of time to get used to the fact that the American magic community in the 1920s was different than the British one, I'm so used to the word 'Muggle' for instance. But overall I enjoyed the movie. It's not been that long since I read the book Fantastic Beasts on Where to Find Them (not the screenplay, the book written quite a few years ago, that lists all the creatures), but unfortunately I didn't really remember any of the creatures too much, so I didn't recognise them or anything (my memory doesn't seem as good as it used to be). I still enjoyed seeing them though and while I might not have enjoyed the movie as much as I do the Harry Potter movies, I quite liked seeing Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, so :).

8 hours ago, Athena said:

Yesterday we watched Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. I enjoyed this movie. It did take me a bit of time to get used to the fact that the American magic community in the 1920s was different than the British one, I'm so used to the word 'Muggle' for instance. But overall I enjoyed the movie. It's not been that long since I read the book Fantastic Beasts on Where to Find Them (not the screenplay, the book written quite a few years ago, that lists all the creatures), but unfortunately I didn't really remember any of the creatures too much, so I didn't recognise them or anything (my memory doesn't seem as good as it used to be). I still enjoyed seeing them though and while I might not have enjoyed the movie as much as I do the Harry Potter movies, I quite liked seeing Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, so :).

Maddie and I want to watch this asap, it's on Sky to rent now so we just need to find the time.

Last night I watched Arrival with Robbie, it wasn't what I expected but still good, maybe a 7/10? :)

On 24/04/2017 at 8:42 AM, Athena said:

We re-watched 5 Centimetres Per Second, a 60-minute long feature film by Makoto Shinkai. It was nice to see it again.

Great film. His animation is beautiful. I can't wait to see his newest one, Your Name. It's gotten absolutely rave reviews, and has knocked Spirited Away off the top spot for highest grossing anime movie in the world.

20 hours ago, Nollaig said:

Great film. His animation is beautiful. I can't wait to see his newest one, Your Name. It's gotten absolutely rave reviews, and has knocked Spirited Away off the top spot for highest grossing anime movie in the world.

I didn't know that! I've added it to my wishlist, thanks :).

We watched Rogue One last night - the first time we'd since it since going to the cinema, and I enjoyed it much more this time.

I also watched a British indie film last night called French Film with Hugh Bonneville, Anne Marie Duff and Eric Cantona.  A bit odd but not without some good ideas, but not one I could recommend if I'm honest.

54 minutes ago, chaliepud said:

Now You See Me, I wasn't expecting to like it, but I did, Mark Ruffalo was an added bonus! :D 

My kids love that film for some reason, I find it so boring and implausible!