The Last Film You Saw - 2017

Athena

John Wick 2.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, and thought it was actually much better than the first one in a lot of ways - explained more, made The Continental more of a 'character' in its own right, and as a result gave some grounding to what was happening. Plus, the ending made me want to see more. The first one's ending didn't do that.

Still just mindless revenge action movie stuff, but good fun.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Denial

Very interesting film about the David Irving / Deborah Lipstadt libel trial.  Thoroughly enjoyed this, a film that seems particularly topical in the current 'post-truth' climate.  It's often hard to tell how accurate a film like this actually is, but the courtroom dialogue was apparently largely lifted verbatim from the transcripts, and James Rampton reports  that Tom Wilkinson absolutely nailed his father (Richard Rampton, the lead QC for the Penguin/Lipstadt team). A recent letter written in one of the papers by Deborah Lipstadt confirms how important Anthony Julius (her solicitor) was to her case, which really comes across in the film.  On the other side of the court, Timothy Spall was superbly oleaginous and malignant which, whilst I don't know how accurate his portrayal was, gave the scenes he was in real bite.

Worrying to read afterwards that Irving still seems to be able to successfully purvey his insidious brand of viciousness through the internet, although holocaust denial, at least in this country, does seem discredited.  Equally worrying to read what Deborah Lipstadt has to say about Donald Trump (whose twisting of truth seems very much in the Irving mould).

Edited by willoyd

Logan: excellent, but much darker than the other X-Men films.

I've heard good things - I like that it's darker. Must give it a go.

I watched Doctor Strange over the weekend. About what I expected, an enjoyable, solid enough entry into the Marvel movieverse, but nothing amazing. Benedict Cumberbatch with an American accent just ain't right though y'all.

La La Land

Overrated.

Good summary!

We went to see Lion over the weekend. Powerful film that shamelessly pulls on your heartstrings, but to good effect. I thought the film was going to be primarily about the search for the central character's (Saroo) biological mother, but there was more about how he came to be separated from his family and adopted. Actually made for a better balanced film, and really gave the young boy who was the main actor in the first half a huge role, which he was superb in. Dev Patel was good, but he wasn't quite right ethnically which created a few jarring notes towards the end. But definitely worth seeing - just take plenty of tissues!

Twentieth Century Women

Is this the story of Jamie, a fifteen year old learning to be a man, helped on his way by the three women in his life (mother, lodger, crush) or is this the story of the three women who happen to be connected through Jamie?  A bit of both probably.  Episodic (marginally too much so to be a great film perhaps), character driven, set in pre-internet 1979, this is a warm, thoughtful, delicately drawn study of a household of fairly disparate but caring people getting to grips with life and all that it throws at them.  Annette Bening is outstanding as Dorothea, Jamie's mother, a performance that was obviously far too subtle for an Oscar nomination (Emma Stone - they have got to be joking!!). and I loved Elle Fanning as Jamie's object of desire.  OH thought it was a bit curate's egg, but I loved it for it's simple humanity, and for some of the wonderful humour - Bening trying to understand punk music was a joy!  One of those films that'll probably slip under the radar, but ironically, that's probably part of its strength.

Edited by willoyd

At first I struggled with the film, because it was more focused on superficial questions by common people about philosophy, feminism and art in a way that I felt annoying. However, I kept watching and started to enjoy it once I knew the characters. I agree that Annette Bening had a good performance, I think her character was a bit complex; I also liked Greta Gerwig's performance.

I watched Beauty and The Beast with the kids at the cinema. No worries about revealing spoilers, everybody alive must have seen the cartoon. There were good points and bad points. At the very beginning I liked the direction and energy of the opening song but Emily Watson was strangely the weakest link in it, when she should have been the brightest part. But later on she did grow on me and I think she did a good job as Belle. The actor who played Gaston was excellent. Kevin Kline as Maurice was oddly restrained and quiet, I think he could have been more manic as he usually is in his comedy films.

Most of the other songs of dancing crockery and bits of furniture seemed interminable though and I was bored silly by those. I only liked the bits of the film with live actors in.

I watched Sausage Party on Saturday night. I actually really enjoyed it - it's animated, and for adults. I remember hearing about it when it came out, but didn't watch it at the time. About food in a supermarket learning the reality of what happens to them after their 'gods' take them to the 'great beyond;. It's Seth Rogen kind of gross out/offensive humour, so definitely not for everybody, but I enjoyed it.

At first I struggled with the film, because it was more focused on superficial questions by common people about philosophy, feminism and art in a way that I felt annoying.

Probably more my level then!  :smile:

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. My girlfriend finally got me to read the books, and we've been re-watching the movie version together each time I finish one. I just finished book six, so that's the movie I just saw. It was bad. All of those movies have been bad.

The last non Harry Potter movie I saw was Arrivaland it was very, very, very good. Best scifi movie that's come out in at least the last five years, maybe more. Can't recommend enough. 

Yes that's the remake. The original was released in 1939.

Well, I say that. It might just be coincidental they have the same name :)

I did a little digging and yes, it's a remake. :)  There's the very basic plot that's the same, but they've changed a few things as well. I don't think there were any men/boys in the 2008 movie, I wonder if there were none in the original, either :) 

Cliffhanger. It was so corny! :D:doh:  I can't believe it's 24 years old. Makes me feel old. :blush2:

Cliffhanger! :cool: I've never watched it, but it's legendary, and by Finland's very own Renny Harlin :D