The Last Film You Saw - 2017

Athena

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to see La La Land today.

Loved the film, with all its faults, until the closing scenes, but was completely gutted by these. No amount of explanations on-line have left me feeling anything but badly let down. to the extent that I wish I hadn't seen it. Can't think of another film where my views have been so completely reversed by the closing sequence.

Edited by willoyd

Watched Cinderella last night - the one directed by Kenneth Branagh a couple of years ago. :D

I bought that a couple of weeks back for the kids to watch. I was underwhelmed by it. Helena Bonham Carter put in a lacklustre but very hammy appearance and the whole thing was pretty boring. Don't know why such a fuss was made of this film at the time. 

Saw A Monster Calls last night, absolutely brilliant!

Really pleased you enjoyed it!

I bought that a couple of weeks back for the kids to watch. I was underwhelmed by it. Helena Bonham Carter put in a lacklustre but very hammy appearance and the whole thing was pretty boring. Don't know why such a fuss was made of this film at the time. 

Each to their own - I liked it. :)

A friend and I went to see 'Lion' on Monday at our wee local cinema....wow what a lovely, if emotional, film.....based on a true story....recommend.

Edited by Inver

A friend and I went to see 'Lion' on Monday at our wee local cinema....wow what a lovely, if emotional, film.....based on a true story....recommend.

Not sure I could cope with this film ... although after A Monster Calls, I sort of feel anything would be a walk in the park! :D

Took myself to see La La Land yesterday, was ok...escapism, but I was expecting it to be more of a modern old fashioned type musical but it wasn't really. Don't really know why it is up for so many nominations!

I watched La La Land yesterday in the cinema and I have so much to say about it I'd need to write a full-fledged article. But, I think the fact that I'll definitely watch it again in the cinema is enough to show how much I enjoyed it. It doesn't do anything different or smart, at least from what I can perceive; everything has a sort of normal, classic approach. It also has one of those plots I enjoy, simple and in which good things don't happen unless there's a context for them. I also enjoyed Manchester by the Sea, I watched it some two weeks ago and perhaps I could watch it again - I'm not used to watch films I like in the cinema, so I should enjoy it while I can.

But, I think the fact that I'll definitely watch it again in the cinema is enough to show how much I enjoyed it.

Completely the opposite of my reaction! (see posting above).

I also enjoyed Manchester by the Sea, I watched it some two weeks ago and perhaps I could watch it again - I'm not used to watch films I like in the cinema, so I should enjoy it while I can.

Haven't seen that yet, but aiming to get there in the next week or two, as it's on then locally.

woolf woolf:

La La Land has been promoted as the great follow-up to the golden age of Hollywood musicals. That wasn't the ending of one of those musicals. It may have been the more 'realistic' ending - two driven individuals following their dreams - but for me it had no place here. Call me a hopeless romantic - my wife certainly did! - but I detested the ending, and felt that I'd been punched in the stomach by the director. TBH, I'd rather not have seen the film. I wasn't the only one at our showing either - the audience was very subdued on leaving, and I heard at least one person saying they wish they hadn't bothered. That's not to say I can't handle tragedy, or even 'sad' films, but for me this was simply the wrong way to end this particular film. But then both of us were disappointed with it as a musical apart from one or two scenes, so perhaps I shouldn't have expected it to end like one.

I don't often feel this way. In fact, I can only recall one occasion before, when I read and invested a lot of time in a very well known book, almost a modern classic, that I had otherwise adored, but felt almost physically sick at the ending. Don't want to mention the book in case it spoils future reading, but it's over a decade ago, and I'm still sore today!

Edited by willoyd

willoyd:

I thought it was a relatively happy ending, perhaps bittersweet, because the characters got what they wanted. In my view, the story is about how they grew in the pursuit of their dreams and how it meant they eventually grew apart. However, how much have they grown and how many memories, how many feelings they nurture because they lived their lives to the fullest; besides, if they didn't have that thirst for their dreams, they wouldn't meet in the first place, nor would they have the character that made them fall in love.

Edited by woolf woolf

We watched the live action The Jungle Book last night. We both enjoyed it, and it was amazing what they manage to do with the effects - my OH knows a bit about effects and even he can't see how they did some it, and incredible to think that it must be almost entirely green screen, with one child actor alone. The other odd thing was that although I'd seen who did the voices a while back, the only one I could actually recognise at the time was Idris Elba, and only when I saw the credits at the end did I realise who everyone was. With the exception of Bill Murray, I think they could have cast unknowns in the roles and it would still have been just as good. We did enjoy it, but both of us said at the end, we would rather watch the Disney animated version in future. :)

Death Wish - Charles Bronson

This is the film where Charles Bronson acts as a vigilante after his wife was murdered and his daughter raped.

Wow that takes me back. I remember a very young Laurence Fishburne as a punk in the second film I think?