What Are You Watching Now? - 2017

Athena

21 hours ago, Virginia said:

I'll have to look into that. I have it on Britbox or AcornTV. Can't remember which one but I've seen it. Anything like MIdsomer and I'm for it!

S4 starts this week here ; I find it`s getting quirkier and funnier as it goes on. :D 

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching :

Howard's End,

The Apprentice (very boring this year, not really bothered if I miss the rest)

Blue Planet II  (amazing!)

Orphan Black (half way through season 4, will have finished all 5 seasons by xmas)

That's the most TV I have watched all at once for many years 

I really enjoyed the Joe Orton documentary that was on BBC2 last night.  I've been a fan of his since my teens, and appreciated that the Beeb decided to commemorate the 50th anniversary of his death.

Also still watching Robot Wars, and Grand Designs House of the Year!

Edited by Onion Budgie

I am really enjoying Howard's End.  The characters and plot are so interesting. The Mr Wilcox character in particular fascinates me. His pronouncements are very logical and convincing and yet I wonder if he completely believes what he says and does or is playing the part expected of him in his place in society. We caught a crack in his composure in episode 3 .

2 hours ago, vodkafan said:

I am really enjoying Howard's End.  The characters and plot are so interesting. The Mr Wilcox character in particular fascinates me. His pronouncements are very logical and convincing and yet I wonder if he completely believes what he says and does or is playing the part expected of him in his place in society. We caught a crack in his composure in episode 3 .

Loved all of the Merchent Ivory productions of E.M Forster's books. Wonderful actors and beautiful cinematography. Is this a TV series you're watching? Would love to see this.

18 hours ago, poppy said:

Loved all of the Merchent Ivory productions of E.M Forster's books. Wonderful actors and beautiful cinematography. Is this a TV series you're watching? Would love to see this.

Hi Poppy yes a new BBC remake. I have never seen any of the other adaptions or read the book, so I don't know what to expect and am enjoying watching it unfold.  The actors all seem very well cast. You can still get episodes 1-3 on BBC I-player if you want to catch up and bingewatch..

On 11/30/2017 at 11:17 PM, poppy said:

I haven't seen it myself, but based on the clips I've seen, it doesn't look a patch on the Merchant Ivory film.  My friends have been watching, and they say it's almost like a scene for scene remake of the film, but without the same quality of acting.  On the other hand, some other friends who've never seen the film or read the book are really enjoying it.  I have to admit, I've avoided it as I don't like the actor in the lead role and I'd rather just watch the film adaptation again, but that's just me! :D 

4 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

I haven't seen it myself, but based on the clips I've seen, it doesn't look a patch on the Merchant Ivory film.  My friends have been watching, and they say it's almost like a scene for scene remake of the film, but without the same quality of acting.  On the other hand, some other friends who've never seen the film or read the book are really enjoying it.  I have to admit, I've avoided it as I don't like the actor in the lead role and I'd rather just watch the film adaptation again, but that's just me! :D 

I just watched the last episode..for me this is going to be the definitive version. I really like Matthew Macfayden  and Hayley Atwell is a revelation. I cannot imagine Emma Thompson in the same role, although I have not seen the film version. I will have to read the book now as soon as possible!   

9 hours ago, vodkafan said:

I just watched the last episode..for me this is going to be the definitive version. I really like Matthew Macfayden  and Hayley Atwell is a revelation. I cannot imagine Emma Thompson in the same role, although I have not seen the film version. I will have to read the book now as soon as possible!   

E. M. Forster's A Room With A View is excellent too, VF. I really enjoy his books. If you'd watched the Howard's End movie first, I think you'd have thought Emma Thompson was perfect for the part :D Helena Bonham Carter is in both movies and I just love her.

I think the film is much better - the TV series was too talky (they were so annoying, and the plot device of all those letters in last night's episode was really irritating) and the brother was so annoying I wanted to strangle him!  the leads and  the settings were lovely, and it was generally well-acted, but the film is far superior (better than the book too I think).