#41 Virginia

Virginia

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:02 PM

Wow, Kell! I'm so sorry you and your family have had such a  bad time of it but I'm happy that everyone is on the mend. Your poor mom, bless her, she's got that mother's heart, wanting to be in two places at one time.

I've been pretty mellow these last few weeks. Not much going on just easing my way into the new year. We've got the budget set, my fitness journal going and my house pretty much organized. I do plan on getting off my duff next month and taking a real estate course with the end being me becoming licensed.  That's a 60 hour course. I'm pretty excited about it. I should be able to get with a real estate company and get some experience.

Whelp, that's about it.

Have a great one y'all!

#42 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,299 posts
  • Reading now?:Before Night Falls: Reinaldo Arenas
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:17 PM

What a horrible start to the year Kell. I hope you and the fmaily feel better soon. :empathy:

I am trying to get as much work done as possible this week before my colleague leaves on Friday. Up until my promotion he was paid about £1000 a year more than me because of his so-called extra responsibilities, one of which was maintaining our COSHH (control of substances hazardous to health) sheets. It transpired though that a lot of the areas that need these don't have them, and those that do have them are for the most part not up to date. Some have not been updated since 2012, which is really not brilliant at all, as these things are a legal requirement. I have then been trying to get as many up to date as possible - a mammoth task when there are 30 or 40 different products that we use in so many different areas of the site.

I will I admit breathe a huge sigh of relief though when Friday rolls round and will not be sorry at all to see the back of him. It will mean more work for me in the short term until they find a replacement, but in the long term it is a fantastic opportunity to start from scratch as a new Manager myself with a brand new hand picked team.

Edited by Talisman, 11 January 2017 - 05:18 PM.

#43 chesilbeach

chesilbeach

Conqueror of Mount TBR

• Moderators
  • 12,546 posts
  • Reading now?:Cogheart by Peter Bunzl

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:00 PM

Hope you feel better soon, Kell.

You sound so organised, Virginia!  I wish I had that gene :lol:

June, it must be great to think that you can start a new chapter next week - good luck!

I've had a day off, and spent it meeting up with Janet and Poppyshake, we had a really good natter, with coffee and toast.  Back to work tomorrow, and I've got a long day ahead of me tomorrow, then we're hoping to go and see Rogue One at the weekend, but also have to work some of it too.  Not sure how I'm going to fit it all in, if I'm honest! :D

#44 Virginia

Virginia

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:06 PM

Chesil, lol! I'm organized NOW because all the grands are gone. I can be ruthless with the tossing out. I sought the first part of last year decluttering but didn't get down to the nitty gritty of the finances until a few months ago. It took something but it was well worth the effort!

#45 Athena

Athena

Readaholic, BookWorm & BookEater

• Admin
  • 15,713 posts
  • LocationHelmond, the Netherlands

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:23 AM

I've had a dreadful end to 2016 and an equally horrid start to 2017.

Awwww :(. I hope you all feel better soon :flowers2:.

Yesterday my boyfriend and I went out shopping and met up with my brother and his girlfriend (in their apartment). It was fun to spend some time with them. We had a great day out :). The next few days I'll need to rest from yesterday.

#46 MrCat

MrCat

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Reading now?:Of course

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:41 PM

Yey, no more minus 25 degrees outside. Now it's just -10. 

#47 More reading time required

More reading time required

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationKenilworth, UK

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:11 PM

That's a real run of bad luck Kell, hope everyone gets better soon. :)

It's supposed to snow here in 2 hours - fingers crossed! :)

#48 Brian.

Brian.

This too shall pass

• Supporter
  • 1,966 posts
  • Reading now?:Tropic of Cancer - Henry Miller
  • LocationSE England

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:52 PM

First shift back in Barcelona out the way, I really am starting to count down the weeks until the whole project is done. I forgot how tedious it is living out of a hotel as I haven't done it for work for about 15 years. I did manage to actually finish a book thiis week which is a huge plus given how bad I was at reading last year.

Switching between the UK and Spain on a regular basis really does highlight the climate difference, especially at this time of year.

#49 Little Pixie

Little Pixie

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 2,710 posts
  • Reading now?:A risky way to kill - Richard Lockridge

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:45 PM

It's supposed to snow here in 2 hours - fingers crossed! :)

Ditto ! And is there snow ?? Noooo !! *sulks*

Kell - hope things are better for you soon. :( 

#50 Peacefield

Peacefield

Welcome to Robot Club

• Supporter
  • 6,293 posts
  • Reading now?:A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:12 PM

I will happily ship all my snow to you snow lovers but I'll need to send the -0 temps too otherwise no deal! :P :lol:  Good news for me though, only 66 days left until the first day of Spring! Yahoo!

I hope you are on the mend, Kell, and your fam too!  

I'm getting along well with my new job and am continuously doing the house-hunting thing.  This weekend I'm looking at about 6 properties with my realtor so hopefully one of them will stick! 

#51 Athena

Athena

• Admin
  • 15,713 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:33 AM

I'm getting along well with my new job and am continuously doing the house-hunting thing.  This weekend I'm looking at about 6 properties with my realtor so hopefully one of them will stick! 

I'm glad you're doing well :).

I hope everyone has a good weekend (I know it's only Friday, but still)!

This weekend we're celebrating my mother's birthday. Hopefully the roads won't be too icy so people can visit. I'm looking forward to seeing my family.

#52 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,299 posts
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:18 AM

We had quite a lot of snow last night - I was lucky to get home when I did as a lot of the roads were closed around here last night. Poor Coran got stuck for about 3 hours trying to get home from Putney in London. I am waiting for it to get a bit lighter before I see if I might be able to get to work, at the moment though it doesn't look too hopeful. I want to try though as I am meant to be doing some important training today and I need to also give a certain person his leaving present. :smile:

#53 Athena

Athena

• Admin
  • 15,713 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:49 AM

I hope you manage to get to work (and back), Talisman :).

There has been some snow here too, though more in the north and middle of the country than here in the south. This morning the weather was alternating between raining, snowing and hailing. Apparently it's going to get colder in the next few days - not looking forward to it staying below 0°C the whole day.

#54 Brian.

Brian.

This too shall pass

• Supporter
  • 1,966 posts
  • Reading now?:Tropic of Cancer - Henry Miller
  • LocationSE England

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:58 AM

We had no snow in Bedford until about 30 minutes ago and now its coming down pretty hard. I had planned to go climbing again this afternoon but I see what the roads are like before I leave, if they look a bit dodgy I'll stay home. Off to London tomorrow for a belated birthday meal with my girlfriend. On Sunday I am going to go and look at an allotment (never thought I'd say those words) so I can grow my own vegetables this year.

#55 Madeleine

Madeleine

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,184 posts
  • Reading now?:The Phantom Tree by Nicola Cornick & The Snow Rose by Lulu Taylor
  • LocationSE England

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:34 AM

Had a bit of snow last night but it was very wet and only settled on the grass a bit.  Was snowing earlier but has stopped now, don't think it's settled here.  Very cold though, that wind :o

#56 Virginia

Virginia

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:31 PM

I'll be in shirt sleeve by this afternoon; sunny and spring like. Great for bagging a ton of leaves. Not much else going on, dog walking, hair washing. Exciting stuff!

Tali! Please try to restrain yourself from dancing a big, lmbo!

#57 Little Pixie

Little Pixie

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 2,710 posts
  • Reading now?:A risky way to kill - Richard Lockridge

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:19 PM

I will happily ship all my snow to you snow lovers but I'll need to send the -0 temps too otherwise no deal! :P :lol:  Good news for me though, only 66 days left until the first day of Spring! Yahoo!

Any chance of some snow pics ? I`m really that desperate that vicarious snow will make me happy ! ;)

#58 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,299 posts
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:39 PM

June, it must be great to think that you can start a new chapter next week - good luck!

Definitely. I have had enough doom and gloom to last a lifetime lately, so it's time to be a bit more positive.

I hope you manage to get to work (and back), Talisman :).

There has been some snow here too, though more in the north and middle of the country than here in the south. This morning the weather was alternating between raining, snowing and hailing. Apparently it's going to get colder in the next few days - not looking forward to it staying below 0°C the whole day.

I made it in just after 9am. It was important for 2 reasons really - to make sure that a certain person really did leave, to give him his leaving present and to attend some training for new managers. All three were I am pleased to say achieved and I learnt a lot from all three as well.

I'll be in shirt sleeve by this afternoon; sunny and spring like. Great for bagging a ton of leaves. Not much else going on, dog walking, hair washing. Exciting stuff!

Tali! Please try to restrain yourself from dancing a big, lmbo!

That really made me laugh as I felt like doing exactly that and I don't think I was the only one. I would have taken the rest of the maintenance team to the pub to celebrate were it not for the bad weather and the fact that he was likely to be in there himself! I will treat myself to something nice over the weekend instead. :alc:

As for T shirts, it was thermals here this morning. I finally got to work just after 9am. It normally takes about 20 minutes but it took twice as long today because of all the snow and ice. I had to keep swerving to avoid all the branches in the road that had been bought down by the weight of the snow and there were patches of ice everywhere which made getting above 20 mph difficult. It was fine once you got to the main road, but of course the country roads where I live were a different story, as none of them are gritted. It was worth it though not only for the training which was brilliant, but also to see his ugly mug for the last time. :bye2:  :jump:   :b7ydance:

Edited by Talisman, 13 January 2017 - 07:43 PM.

#59 Ben

Ben

Broken

• Advanced Member
  • 5,938 posts
  • LocationWest Yorkshire.

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:15 PM

I hate snow. Couldn't get to work this morning, despite the roads really not being that bad. Sure, we had a lot of snow in the early(ish) hours but because I live in a bit of an awkward area (high up!) the buses are a pain. Took 'till lunchtime to get to work, which they were really quite understanding about considering, but it was still frustrating...

To top it all off I'm not having a good week. Have a really sore foot from where my shoes have rubbed - I'm not used to doing as much walking as I am with this new job. I also slipped on some black ice coming home and think I've pulled something in my leg. Got some bumps, bruises and scrapes down my arm/right-side and my shoulder aches.

Never been happier for the weekend. Lots of limping around and moving as little as possible I think. :lol:

#60 chesilbeach

chesilbeach

Conqueror of Mount TBR

• Moderators
  • 12,546 posts
  • Reading now?:Cogheart by Peter Bunzl

Posted 14 January 2017 - 04:13 PM

Had to work late on Thursday, then my car was already iced up by the time I had to drive home, so spent 10 minutes defrosting the car before getting started and then there was an accident on the motorway so the journey home took another 10 minutes longer than it normally does.  I hoped this wasn't an omen for a bad start to the weekend, and fortunately, fingers crossed, so far, it hasn't!!!

Finally got to see Rogue One yesterday afternoon then went for a pizza, and today we took a trip down to Dorset - the weather was beautiful, bright, cold but not windy so it didn't actually feel too cold.  Had a lovely walk around the market and the shops, bought a new book, as well as some produce from the food market, then went down to Chesil Beach and got a breath of my favourite sea air! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users