What's Up in January 2017

chesilbeach

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a nice tea break this morning with a colleague/friend, teaching her how to get started cross stitching. Was really nice :) I'm not great at making friends, and this was the first time we did anything together without our intermediary mutual friend, so am happy.

Sounds lovely, nice when you can make a new friend who has lots on common with you. :)

Our extension roof is finally being replaced, so no more water leaks in the kitchen!!!  My other half is organising it all and staying at home while the roofers are around, so I'm making the most of my few days off work to go and do something fun, and basically just stay out of the way. :giggle2:  I've been to the cinema most of the day, then went out to eat, popped in to visit my dad, and have just got home, so putting my feet up with a cuppa and a catch up on the forum. :D

Decided against the cinema today, but did go out shopping and bought myself a new fleece, since the zip is going on my current one, which is also looking a bit the worse for wear generally, so definitely needed replacing.  A few other bits and pieces, but also made the most of the cafés in town for coffee and reading sessions. :D  

I did also buy some storage boxes, so that'll be my Sunday sorted - hauling everything out of the bottom of our wardrobe, plus getting together all my sewing fabric and bits and bobs, and then organising and tidying it all away properly.

Hope you're feeling better, Ben!

I've never been to more than one movie in a day, Chesil, do you do that often?  Sounds like you are having a relaxing couple of days off work and good luck getting your roof repaired!

I put an offer on a house last night so I'm waiting on pins and needles to see if it's been accepted or if the sellers want to counter.  Eek!  :icon_eek:  I might not know until Monday, so I'll need to keep myself distracted this weekend.

Hope you feel better soon, Ben.

Cold but sunny weather here today, so I'm going to take advantage and head on out for a long walk. 

Hope you're feeling better, Ben!

I put an offer on a house last night so I'm waiting on pins and needles to see if it's been accepted or if the sellers want to counter.  Eek!  :icon_eek:  I might not know until Monday, so I'll need to keep myself distracted this weekend.

Thanks you two. Not yet, but I'll get there. :friends3:

Good luck with your offer - and your attempts at keeping distracted - peacefield, must be awful waiting around to find out if you've been successful. :(

Really quiet couple of days for me, have just been watching some snooker, keeping warm in front of our wood-burner, reading in bits and pieces... I'm honestly still not feeling great - still got a lot of pain behind my eyes/head and bloody painful toothache to boot?! - but trying to rest up. Still have the weekend to get myself up to scratch, and I'm going to need it.

Was planning on going out with the girlfriend on Saturday, possibly to the flicks and definitely for some food, but as I'll be seeing her later (after class) I'm not sure how this will pan out. In all fairness, despite wanting to stay in/rest up, it might do me good to try get out and do something. *shrugs*

Edited by Ben

Sadly ill...

Full of cold and was actually physically sick through the night. Had managed to brave most of this week at work (bit of sniffles never hurt anyone!) but unfortunately had to ring in this morning - and because of actual sickness was advised to not go in tomorrow either. It's frustrating - I'd honestly rather be busy/not feeling unwell/at work, but what can you do? *shrugs*

I hope you feel better soon :flowers2:!

Our extension roof is finally being replaced, so no more water leaks in the kitchen!!!  My other half is organising it all and staying at home while the roofers are around, so I'm making the most of my few days off work to go and do something fun, and basically just stay out of the way. :giggle2:  I've been to the cinema most of the day, then went out to eat, popped in to visit my dad, and have just got home, so putting my feet up with a cuppa and a catch up on the forum. :D

Sounds like you're doing allright :).

Good luck :)!!

I've been feeling quite tired for some reason.

Our roof is finished! It'll be lovely not to have to worry about it raining anymore :D

I went out this morning and ended up buying another new book :doh: but then home this afternoon and I finally got all my sewing stuff organised.  It's now all in storage boxes and sorted out with certain fabrics together, all my cotton reels sorted, and it all looks so neat and tidy.  I need one more box to finish it all off, so that's a job for tomorrow.  And, it means I'll actually be able to get back to my sewing again! 

Hope everyone's having a good weekend :)

It's certainly cold here today - I hope those of you who are feeling unwell are a little better.

Coran had an important meeting yesterday re one of the websites she is working on, which left me on my own for most of the day. While the cat was away this mouse then came out to play and bought loads of naughty stuff in Sainsburys that she doesn't need to know I ate for lunch. The evidence has been very well hidden in our wheelie bin.  :D 

We are both at home today though and might venture out for a walk in a bit.    

Snatched a quick reading and coffee session this morning before going to the stationers to buy another storage box.  I've now filled that box and completed my organisation of my sewing paraphernalia, and have a completely tidy work area.

This afternoon, I'm going to be planning my sewing and putting together a wishlist of different things I'd like to get to help more with that, and then it'll be time to put my feet up for a proper reading session. :)

I hope you enjoy it, Noll.  If you're anything like me, you'll need some tissues!  :weeping: 

Bought some new socks at the weekend, then got home to find one pack was the wrong size, so had to go back into town to exchange them today.  Had a coffee and a read too, then popped in to see my Dad for an hour, before getting some food shopping done.  Back home now, and going to relax for the rest of the afternoon, as it's back to work tomorrow for me. :D

Went into the Works (discount book/toy/stationery chain in the UK) and they had lots of Easter stuff in - eggs, chicks, make your own craft stuff etc....  and of course Valentine's Day stuff is everywhere!

Went into the Works (discount book/toy/stationery chain in the UK) and they had lots of Easter stuff in - eggs, chicks, make your own craft stuff etc....  and of course Valentine's Day stuff is everywhere!

That seems quite early, to have Easter stuff already! Here I haven't seen any Easter stuff in shops yet. I get the Valentine's Day stuff though, that's only 3 weeks away.

Yesterday I spent some time working on cataloguing books in Book Collector, adding little details.

This morning I spent a little while reading in bed. Then I had to get up because both heaters were running low on wood. One heater is in the main house and heats both places, another heater is in the bakery and heats the bakery (the heating of the heater in the main house isn't enough to keep the bakery warm in these cold temperatures). As it turned out, there was no more wood in either house, so I went outside in my pyamas and got wood for both. Usually my dad and my boyfriend do these things, but my dad left the house early and my boyfriend wasn't out of bed yet at the time. Now I'm sitting down behind the computer, having some relaxing time on BCF.

That doesn't surprise me Noll - I won't be buying any though, as most of them are a waste of money - more packaging than egg.

I had the day off from work today as I seem to have picked up some sort of gastroinestinal bug. I spent most of yesterday feeling nauseous, with what I can only describe as a huge knot around the belly button - it felt as if the muscles had gone into spasm - not pleasant at all. I felt just as bad when I woke up this morning, so thought it best not to go in. If I had a desk job then I would maybe have been able to, but when you have an active job like mine (I walk an average of 4 miles a day at work), and have to work outdoors as well, especially in this weather, it didn't seem like a very good idea. I should hopefully be better tomorrow though.  

There were a few Easter eggs in Tesco here on December 30th. I kid you not.

That's crazy! No offense :D.

I had the day off from work today as I seem to have picked up some sort of gastroinestinal bug. I spent most of yesterday feeling nauseous, with what I can only describe as a huge knot around the belly button - it felt as if the muscles had gone into spasm - not pleasant at all. I felt just as bad when I woke up this morning, so thought it best not to go in. If I had a desk job then I would maybe have been able to, but when you have an active job like mine (I walk an average of 4 miles a day at work), and have to work outdoors as well, especially in this weather, it didn't seem like a very good idea. I should hopefully be better tomorrow though.

I hope you feel better soon :(:flowers2:.

Back to work today, so back to a freezing cold office again :(  I've had my fleece on for most of the day to try and warm up, but it didn't do much good.  First thing I did when I got home? Light the woodburner! :lol:

Awww :(. It seems it's cold in a lot of places in Europe.

I've had a bit of a stressful morning. I woke up and saw I had a message from my dad, which said the central heating was broken (sent at midnight). It's been below freezing at night-time the past few weeks, so it was pretty cold when I woke up. The plumber came by this morning and my dad and he sorted it out, replaced something (we were stuck in the bakery with the dogs, had to watch them). About an hour later (after the plumber and my dad left), something else broke. My dad is going to come by from work later to fix it. I think he might need to get another part of the system replaced. We heat the house on wood most of the time, the central heating runs on wood (it's a system not many houses here have, dad said the plumber liked it). We have a small heater in our living room and the main house has a fireplace in the living room. The bakery (where I live) is badly isolated, so it cools down fast. It's also mostly warm near the heater and not in for example the bedroom or bathroom, if the central heating isn't on. I'm mostly worried about the pipes freezing, because it's barely above freezing outside as a maximum temperature (today: 1 °C maximum). I'm bundled up with several layers, a scarf, glove-like things etc. We had the heating on for about an hour in between the plumber leaving and another part breaking, so it's warmer now than it was when I woke up this morning. Dad is going to come by later to have a look at the system.

I don't do well with unexpected things, so this morning was rough on me. I'm still stressed about it, though Michael (my boyfriend) has assured me it will be fine.

Busy day at work, and ended up not getting much of a lunch break, so came home early instead.  Which, of course, means I have an extra hour for reading! :D  A quick catch up with the forum first, then I'm going to put the kettle on and settle down for a read before we eat our tea later on.

I've had a bit of a stressful morning. I woke up and saw I had a message from my dad, which said the central heating was broken (sent at midnight). It's been below freezing at night-time the past few weeks, so it was pretty cold when I woke up. The plumber came by this morning and my dad and he sorted it out, replaced something (we were stuck in the bakery with the dogs, had to watch them). About an hour later (after the plumber and my dad left), something else broke. My dad is going to come by from work later to fix it. I think he might need to get another part of the system replaced. We heat the house on wood most of the time, the central heating runs on wood (it's a system not many houses here have, dad said the plumber liked it). We have a small heater in our living room and the main house has a fireplace in the living room. The bakery (where I live) is badly isolated, so it cools down fast. It's also mostly warm near the heater and not in for example the bedroom or bathroom, if the central heating isn't on. I'm mostly worried about the pipes freezing, because it's barely above freezing outside as a maximum temperature (today: 1 °C maximum). I'm bundled up with several layers, a scarf, glove-like things etc. We had the heating on for about an hour in between the plumber leaving and another part breaking, so it's warmer now than it was when I woke up this morning. Dad is going to come by later to have a look at the system.

I don't do well with unexpected things, so this morning was rough on me. I'm still stressed about it, though Michael (my boyfriend) has assured me it will be fine.

Sorry to hear that you've been stressed :hug: Keeping warm is so important for good spirits etc. Layers of clothes and hats are always good though, Al is always telling me to put a hat on because heat escapes through your head etc :lol: It is weird though to be bundled up like a snowman in your own home but I often have to do it because this house is old and it's short on mod cons and big on draughts and leaks :D 

Glad to hear that your dad has fixed the heating. Three cheers for Dad :cows:

Glad everything has been sorted out. Nothing worse than having to get out of bed when it's freezing!

Dads are the best, aren't they! :)

Busy day at work, and ended up not getting much of a lunch break, so came home early instead.  Which, of course, means I have an extra hour for reading! :D  A quick catch up with the forum first, then I'm going to put the kettle on and settle down for a read before we eat our tea later on.

That sounds good to me :)

Busy day at work, and ended up not getting much of a lunch break, so came home early instead. Which, of course, means I have an extra hour for reading! :D A quick catch up with the forum first, then I'm going to put the kettle on and settle down for a read before we eat our tea later on.

It sounds like you had a nice afternoon / evening :).

Sorry to hear that you've been stressed :hug: Keeping warm is so important for good spirits etc. Layers of clothes and hats are always good though, Al is always telling me to put a hat on because heat escapes through your head etc :lol: It is weird though to be bundled up like a snowman in your own home but I often have to do it because this house is old and it's short on mod cons and big on draughts and leaks :D 

Glad to hear that your dad has fixed the heating. Three cheers for Dad :cows:

Glad everything has been sorted out. Nothing worse than having to get out of bed when it's freezing!

Dads are the best, aren't they! :)

They are :)!