What's Up in January 2017

chesilbeach

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy New Year, everyone :)!

I'm feeling quite tired from yesterday, having had to stay up past my bedtime (not much sleeping through the noise from the fireworks set off in the neighbourhood). So today I'll try to rest and take things slow. I had a nice phone call with my sister earlier today.

Happy New Year!

Mine will be an expensive one - heating on the car has packed in, and woke up today to find no heating or hot water in the house either,  Stuck in waiting for an engineer to turn up, who will charge goodness knows how much for it being a) Sunday and b) a Bank Holiday :banghead:

We need a new boiler - the one we've got is only just over 3 years old, so I'm pretty furious, but it has to be done.  This must be the most expensive new year ever - I still need work doing on the car, and also need new glasses which are currently on order.  So will be spending Bank Holiday Monday stuck in with heating engineers ( although I might escape to go to the local shops).

We are starting the New Year as we usually do with a tidy up of the house, getting rid of a load of last years clutter. This afternoon we hope to go and see the new Jennifer Lawrence film Passengers. Then it's back to work tomorrow. :wacko:   

We need a new boiler - the one we've got is only just over 3 years old, so I'm pretty furious, but it has to be done.  This must be the most expensive new year ever - I still need work doing on the car, and also need new glasses which are currently on order.  So will be spending Bank Holiday Monday stuck in with heating engineers ( although I might escape to go to the local shops).

Ugh, what a pain! Not a great start to the year....hopefully things will pick up for you.

Talisman, can you let me know what Passengers is like? The trailer looks good!

Good luck getting it all sorted Madeleine. Perhaps this means the rest of the year will go smoothly for you.   

After a wonderfully quiet weekend we headed out to the shops for a couple of hours this morning, and picked up a few bargains (no books!). It was fun, especially as neither of us particularly enjoy shopping, but a banana bran muffin washed down with a coffee helped.  :D

Back home and planning on organising myself for the rest of the month. I try to plan ahead, then go with the flow. It works for me.  :yes:

Happy New Year everyone.  :doowapstart:

Talisman, can you let me know what Passengers is like? The trailer looks good!

It was brilliant - unlike a lot of these type of films it actually has a good story to it and isn't just about the special effects, which admittedly though are good. The ending is a bit strange, but apart from that it was probably the best sci fi film I have seen since Gravity. I would be interested when the DVD is released to see how they made it.  

Spent the day doing a load of chores around the house that I have been putting off for a while. It was sunny but cold this afternoon so I went for a run round a local lake and had to spend most of the run dodging unruly dogs. I love dogs but it does annoy me when people let their dogs off the lead in busy parks when they have no control over them. In the last 4 days I have had my heels nipped at by two dogs and almost tripped over another.

Defintely having a lazy evening tonight.

Spent the day doing a load of chores around the house that I have been putting off for a while. It was sunny but cold this afternoon so I went for a run round a local lake and had to spend most of the run dodging unruly dogs. I love dogs but it does annoy me when people let their dogs off the lead in busy parks when they have no control over them. In the last 4 days I have had my heels nipped at by two dogs and almost tripped over another.

Defintely having a lazy evening tonight.

I definitely understand that Brian, I see it all the time over our country park and runners often eye my dogs with caution. Thankfully I trained mine from an early age to ignore runners, and everyone else for that matter! I also taught them an instant down stay for those situations where I am unable to get hold of them.

Unfortunately some runners seem to hate dogs and I even had one aim a kick at my old boy (13) when he was just standing still!

Madeline, How awful for you! But if it's starting out this miserable, it's bound to get better! /fingers crossed/.

I hope everyone has a happy and healthy New Year. Best Wishes to all. :D

Here is a story I spotted that is pretty wonderful to start the year.

https://weather.com/science/nature/news/humpback-whales-killer-seal-rescue-antarctic

Oooh, Madeline, I pray you get that fixed quickly and inexpensively!

I spent the past few days getting my new planner set up and working on filling out my new fitness calendar and budget. I got a jump start on my healthy clean eating and have already lost 10 lbs. I didn't want to wait til the new year as the hardest days are the first few weeks. I'm two weeks in and have gotten past the roughest part. I'm doing yoga and an interval class starting tomorrow.

Now that all my paperwork (budget, fitness, etc) is in order and we know where we stand and where we're going this year, I can focus on my job search. Tomorrow morning I head out with resumes in hand and will go to our local employment agency and temporary job agencies (which is my preference to see what company I like) and cast my lot. My goals right now are to pay down certain debt and start on my student loans.

Here's the planner that is all the rage here in the States!

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=happy+planner+365+2017&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ahappy+planner+365+2017

Have a great day all!

Holidays are over and I am so happy! I am not Scrooge to hate Xmas but the fuss everyone makes about it, running, shopping, cooking and buying everything they need and mostly don't need is making me weary. At least Santa made up for it and gave me and electric kettle so I can make my tea and coffee easier. 

Oh and I saw Star Wars Rogue One today. Surprisingly good to be honest. 

I definitely understand that Brian, I see it all the time over our country park and runners often eye my dogs with caution. Thankfully I trained mine from an early age to ignore runners, and everyone else for that matter! I also taught them an instant down stay for those situations where I am unable to get hold of them.

Unfortunately some runners seem to hate dogs and I even had one aim a kick at my old boy (13) when he was just standing still!

Trying to kick a dog, what a horrible person. Happily it's a tiny minority who have no control over their dogs, the rest are perfectly fine.

Off to go rock climbing (indoors) shortly, haven't been for about 6 months so no doubt I will be terrible at it again :D

I haven't been here in aaaaaages! (Again :lurker: )

I'm about 95% of the way moved into my new house. It's.... okay, I guess. It still feels surreal, and I feel like I'm enduring this bizzare experience for no apparent reason until such time as I can go home to my old house. Don't think it's hit me that I don't live there anymore. I still have some bits to pick up from my old house, planning on doing that this evening, and I have to cancel my internet and gas in that house too, so I must take a meter reading this evening for the gas while I'm there - if I can figure out where/how!

I'm gradually recovering from the second cold I've had in the last month. Very tired, head hurts, not really focusing at work today at all.

Hi everyone,

Hope everyone's enjoying the new year so far! It's been rather rainy for me!

My coursework starts again this Saturday, so I'm just enjoying my holiday till then. I had a few errands to run this morning, and am planning on spending my afternoon making some jewellery.

Holidays are over and I am so happy! I am not Scrooge to hate Xmas but the fuss everyone makes about it, running, shopping, cooking and buying everything they need and mostly don't need is making me weary.

I like Christmas, but as soon as it's over I like to get the decorations down. I think it makes my flat look too cluttered. I did get lots of chocolates, though (so it can't be too bad!).

It was back to work for me today. I really did not want to get up when the alarm went off at 6.20am, but I knew I had to and of course once I was there it wasn't that bad. My colleague is definitely leaving next Friday - it has all been confirmed and of course he has been talking about it to everyone who will listen. Surprisingly they are still going ahead with his disciplinary - I guess he cannot get away with it just because he is now leaving. The meeting will be tomorrow. I haven't been sent an invite, but I am sure I will be the third person to know the outcome (after him and of course HR). It will probably be a warning though. I bought him a leaving card on the way home, as I am his Manager, so I guess it is up to me to start a collection for him. I am tempted to buy him a one way ticket to the North Pole with the proceeds but that wouldn't be fair on the penguins!

Back to work for me too, although my alarm at 5:30am is quite a bit earlier than yours, June! :lol:

I'd had a couple of weeks off, so lots to catch up on, as well as everyone chatting about their Christmas holidays, so it was quite a full day and went by quite quickly.  Also booked a day off for next week, so I can't complain too much! :D

My colleague had his discplinary hearing today, even though he is leaving at the end of next week to start a new job. Anyone who knows the history will understand why it was still necessary to continue with the disciplinary. I gather though from HR that no further action will be taken. Although it is in a way frustrating, as he is leaving so soon there is little point in anything else. Of course had he not been it would have been a very different outcome indeed, as I am sure he knows.

Edited by Talisman

Happy new year all!

I've not been around for a while as for the first part of the Christmas holiday I was on holiday from work and busy with the kids and then later on I just got ill and it's been one of those Christmases to forget! I've had a headache every day since the 20th Dec and initially thought it was sinusitis. As the headaches got worse, and I got less and less functional, I saw out of hours GP on Boxing Day who diagnosed a return of my migraines and prescribed imigran. That helped at first but it was worse again the next day, so this time 111 recommended me to go to A&E where I eventually had a CT scan due to also having had a solid whack on the head from my daughter armed with a remote control in hand, that was causing me acute pain too. That came back clear thankfully but it did show up a sinus infection which is what I initially thought it was, but had been worsened by also getting migraines on top of this!

So since then I've been trying to treat myself for that with paracetamol, ibuprofen, antihistamine and menthol steaming but it's not been getting any better. So I eventually got antibiotics yesterday and signed off from work til next week, as the last thing I want to be doing is sitting in front of a computer screen. The headache got worse last night but is much better today which is hopefully a sign of the penicillin doing its job and clearing all the gunk out.

It's been perhaps the driest Christmas on record for me (even accounting for 2 pregnancies and breastfeeding :lol:) - I still have an unopened 1l bottle of Baileys on the shelf :cry: - and the least chocolate and cheese filled of them all too. Also my reading was non existent as that was too painful. Still, at least I don't have any excess xmas weight to lose! :lol: