Your Book Activity - January 2017

chesilbeach

I finished Comfort & Joy by Kristin Hannah, not good!  I've now started When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi and also The Man Who Broke into Auschwitz, which has been on my TBR a long, long while. 

Absolutely adored When Breath Becomes Air. Thought it was a wonderful little book and one of my top ten favourites in 2016. Hope you're getting on well with it, Hayley.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Comfort & Joy by Kristin Hannah, not good!

I'm sorry to hear that :(. I haven't heard of that one but I'm sorry it disappointed.

Stopped in Waterstone's to get a coffee this morning and came out with a new book too. :blush:  Bought myself the second Poppy Pym book, Poppy Pym and the Double Jinx by Laura Wood.

I hope you enjoy your new book :).

I finished my previous read so I'll have a look at my shelves later and see what I feel in the mood for reading next. I'm still processing the book I finished yesterday evening, so it might be a little bit too early to decide what book to read. Maybe later today.

I'm finding it rather slow-going.  I'm half way through and nothing much has happened so far!  I wasn't keen on A Room With a View either.  I had planned to read A Passage to India at some stage, but I'm coming to the conclusion that Forster is not for me.   Chesilbeach loved it though, so it's obviously just a matter of taste.  :)

I did too; comments on my English Counties challenge thread here. Whilst I enjoyed A Room with a View, I much preferred this. I agree not a lot happens, but then it's more of a character study, examining the interactions between, and contrasting, both the sisters and the families. IMO more thoughtful and considered than so many modern writers - fairly typical of the period, or at least of those books that have lasted.

Edited by willoyd

Currently rereading The Shadow of the Wind. Read it a decade or so ago (before I started keeping records certainly), and whilst I remember really enjoying it, couldn't rememember much of the story, and thus wanted to reprise before tackling The Prisoner of Heaven. About halfway through, and completely bowled over by it, totally compulsive, unputdownable, reading (but I've had to unfortunately!). Can't imagine how it slid off my radar. I wasn't so enamoured with The Angel's Game, so just hope The Prisoner of Heaven is more in this mould!

Currently rereading The Shadow of the Wind. Read it a decade or so ago (before I started keeping records certainly), and whilst I remember really enjoying it, couldn't rememember much of the story, and thus wanted to reprise before tackling The Prisoner of Heaven. About halfway through, and completely bowled over by it, totally compulsive, unputdownable, reading (but I've had to unfortunately!). Can't imagine how it slid off my radar. I wasn't so enamoured with The Angel's Game, so just hope The Prisoner of Heaven is more in this mould!

It is a great book, I really must get to The Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven this year but I've heard so many negative things about TAG that I haven't felt the urge as yet! But, I do really want to read PoH!  Have you read any of his other books? 

That's interesting. I adored The Shadow of the Wind but have The Angel's Game on my TBR and haven't felt like touching it for the two years it has lain there.

Will be interested to see how you get on with The Prisoner of Heaven.

ETA: really should have just read Chalie's reply and nodded assent!

Edited by Alexi

It is a great book, I really must get to The Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven this year but I've heard so many negative things about TAG that I haven't felt the urge as yet! But, I do really want to read PoH!  Have you read any of his other books? 

No, just The Shadow of the Wind and The Angel's Game.

I'm struggling with Golden Hill at the moment.  I don't seem to be able to get stuck into it.  After a chapter, although I've enjoyed what I read, I've just had enough.  I think I'll come back to it later and see if I can get going again.

Instead, I've gone back to my Christmas presents, and I've started Lockwood & Co: The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud. :lol:

Finished NW! Was tempted to abandon but ploughed on and it pulled itself up to a solid 3 star read.

Also finished Trainspotting - had to bump this up the pile due to impending cinema trip to see the sequel. Not sure enjoyed is the right word for that novel, but I found it a very thought-provoking read. I will get hold of the follow up at some stage and also read the prequel.

Not sure what is next...

Finished Before I Let You In by Jenny Blackhurst. Mediocre thriller, as I was expecting. However, I am now finally 'on track' on Goodreads :D

Also reading, and really enjoying, My Name Is Leon by Kit De Waal. It won't take much longer to finish it, so need to think about what's gonna be next. Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough is being released in two days, so maybe that.

I started reading Warriors: Tigerclaw's Fury on my new paperwhite yesterday currently 20% in which is the the first 2 chapters.Enjoying it so far.Probably be a quick read as it's only a Novella and then I'll be going into my first lengthier read for 2017 which will be

Warriors Super Edition : Bluestar's Prophecy by Erin Hunter.

The last three books I finished were: Warriors 5 : A Dangerous Path by Erin Hunter

Warriors 6 : The Darkest Hour by Erin Hunter

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

I really have enjoyed reading the first Warriors series The Prophecies Begin they actually managed to make me cry

(Suprised I did not hear of this books when I was younger because I love cats but then again I wasn't into reading so much when I was 11 or 12) and am looking forward to reading Arc 2 A New Prophecy but before that I'll be reading a few Super editions and other books in by TBR pile.

The Last Unicorn I read part of my Kindle unlimited trial and it is a nice book I find but it took me sometime to get used to reading through.Might watch the film adaptation one day.

Also reading, and really enjoying, My Name Is Leon by Kit De Waal. It won't take much longer to finish it, so need to think about what's gonna be next. 

:hide::lurker:

I'm on 77% of Howards End by E M Forster.  It has picked up slightly but I'll be glad to finish it, I think - I started it 10 days ago and it's not a big book!

I've started reading Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones, which the lovely Frankie gave me for Christmas. I got into it straight way and have read more than 40 pages. I'll have limited time for reading in the next week or so, but I'm sure I'll be making time to read this. :)

:jump:  :b7ydance:  :woohoo:   Yeeeeee-haw! :D 

I've started reading Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones, which the lovely Frankie gave me for Christmas. I got into it straight way and have read more than 40 pages. I'll have limited time for reading in the next week or so, but I'm sure I'll be making time to read this. :)

Ah, that takes me back.  ^_^  I borrowed this and a load of other Diana Wynne Jones from the library when I was a teenager. They were brilliant at the time. :)

I'm over halfway through Lockwood & Co: The Screaming Staircase now and absolutely loving it!  I've seen it in the bookshops so often and never actually picked it up, so very pleased I decided to ask for it for Christmas :smile2:

I'm on 77% of Howards End by E M Forster.  It has picked up slightly but I'll be glad to finish it, I think - I started it 10 days ago and it's not a big book!

What a shame you're not enjoying it very much, and it's so frustrating when a book seems to take forever to get to the end of, isn't it?