Your Book Activity - January 2017

chesilbeach

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished Georges Simenon's The Flemish House, another in the Maigret series, and the third book of the year.  Not the most complex of whodunnits, but then that isn't Simenon's style.  Highly atmospheric - which is what I read them for, so a bit more than a cut above the average!

I finished The Last Days of Jack Sparks. It was dipping in the final third, and it was on the verge of being knocked from four stars down to three, but you know what, I loved the ending so much and got so much enjoyment out of finishing the book I've actually bumped it up to a five star. Will definitely re-read.

I finally finished Revolution by Russell Brand which was not the quick read I thought it'd be after a virtually reading free festive period. It had some quite interesting ideas in it. :)

Started The Unmumsy Mum by Sarah Turner which was one of my Christmas books 'from my kids'. The other one being Hurrah for Gin, another comedy parenting book. :D

I read My Name Is Markham by Jodi Taylor today.  It's the latest short story in the Chronicles of St. Mary's series, so I don't have any new ones to read until the next full length novel which is published on the 13th April.  I have pre-ordered it, so it'll be ready and waiting on my Kindle for me when I get up that morning! :D

It's been a while since I was last on here, so I've made it a New Years Resolution to come back, as well as read many books from new authors :)

Since Christmas, I've read two books and well into the third!

Hidden Killers by Lynda La Plante - one of my favourite authors. Was tense through out, just like all La Plante titles and made a fantastic read.

The Waters Of Eternal Youth by Donna Leon - I had never heard of this author prior to seeing the book featured in a magazine that I buy. It's actually part of a series but I thought I would still give it a try. You can read this title as a standalone without having read a previous book from the series. I would advise getting through the first chapter as it then becomes a brilliant read!

I'm now reading Dead Man's Time by Peter James - it was a gift from my grandparents for Christmas and for once they bought a book that I actually wanted to read :) The plot seems very tense at the moment and is definitely one of those books which you don't really want to put down! I do like the Roy Grace series from James!

Another New Years Resolution is to start reviewing each title I read, so I might just start with Dead Man's Time when I've finished it! :)

I'm about two-thirds through Apple Tree Yard and I'm really enjoying it. Super book. :D

Yay, I'm delighted!

I've started another thriller (really need to finish my other two books, but in the mood for thrillers!) - Before I Let You In by Jenny Blackhurst. Not read anything by her before but it was less than £1 on Kindle and had one of those 'a thriller with a twist you won't see coming!' taglines in the title - usually a sign of a second rate book. But sure, we'll give it a go!

Finished David Mitchell's Slade House yesterday - which was good, but I think I've missed out by not reading The Bone Clocks first (didn't realise I needed to). Been unwell this week so not felt like reading much, but plodding away. Have started The Loney by Andrew Hurley and I'm very interested to see where it goes...

Started The Reader on the 6.27 this morning, and I'm about halfway through already, but I think it must be quite a short book as it hasn't taken me long! :D

Just under 200 pages. :) I'm glad you're enjoying it because I have it (as you know)! :D

I'm still plodding through E M Forster's Howards End (that's not a typo - there's no apostrophe!) for Hertfordshire in the English Counties challenge. 

I haven't posted in this thread for awhile, so lots of updates!  And I really need to start a 2017 reading thread...  I finished Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd and it was just okay, and I did not like the end :(.  After that I read and finished A Man Called Ove, which was a Christmas gift I received from Weave and found it delightful!  

Most recently I started A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray. 

Edited by Peacefield

I'm still plodding through E M Forster's Howards End (that's not a typo - there's no apostrophe!) for Hertfordshire in the English Counties challenge. 

I saw a copy of that in my local secondhand bookshop the other week, and was dithering shall-I shan't-I whether to buy it or not.  In the end, I didn't.  Are you finding it dull?

I'm still reading The Great Forgetting (almost halfway through now), and I am loving it.  The plot!  It thickens!  

I really want to begin the second volume of Midnighter by Steve Orlando, so that might happen this weekend.

I haven't posted in this thread for awhile, so lots of updates!  And I really need to start a 2017 reading thread...

Yeah you do.... :D  

After that I read and finished A Man Called Ove, which was a Christmas gift I received from Weave and found it delightful!  

I'm glad you liked it! :smile2: I read it a few years ago and loved it :smile2:

I saw a copy of that in my local secondhand bookshop the other week, and was dithering shall-I shan't-I whether to buy it or not.  In the end, I didn't.  Are you finding it dull?

I'm finding it rather slow-going.  I'm half way through and nothing much has happened so far!  I wasn't keen on A Room With a View either.  I had planned to read A Passage to India at some stage, but I'm coming to the conclusion that Forster is not for me.   Chesilbeach loved it though, so it's obviously just a matter of taste.  :)

Just under 200 pages. :) I'm glad you're enjoying it because I have it (as you know)! :D

I finished it today, and thought it was charming. It's not a surprise to find it's so short, I read it on my Kindle, and couldn't remember how thick it was when I bought it for you, but it whizzed by in just a couple of hours. :)

I've now started Golden Hill by Francis Spufford.

I finished it today, and thought it was charming. It's not a surprise to find it's so short, I read it on my Kindle, and couldn't remember how thick it was when I bought it for you, but it whizzed by in just a couple of hours. :)

Yay for liking it! :smile2: Jänet, not that you need any more encouragement as you've got the book already and have it on good authority - chesil - that it's good, but I'd wholeheartedly second the recommendation :) 

Have started The Loney by Andrew Hurley and I'm very interested to see where it goes...

I ummed-and-ahhhhed a lot over buying this one (even though it was only £0.99), but bought it in the end. I haven't read it yet but I look forward to hearing what you think.

After that I read and finished A Man Called Ove, which was a Christmas gift I received from Weave and found it delightful! 

A Man Called Ove was very good....glad you enjoyed it. :D

I finished Apple Tree Yard last night....loved it, it was just what I needed.

I need to carry on with A Million Years in a Day now, or it's in danger of being unfinished. I also need to start some reviews as well.

I've started reading Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones, which the lovely Frankie gave me for Christmas. I got into it straight way and have read more than 40 pages. I'll have limited time for reading in the next week or so, but I'm sure I'll be making time to read this. :)

I'm glad to hear this. I've been thinking about reading it some time.

I'm currently reading A. S. King - Glory O'Brien's History of the Future. I couldn't think of much that I was in the mood for, so I ended up picking a book by an author I quite like.