204 replies to this topic

#41 bobblybear

bobblybear

Too many books!!

• Supporter
  • 5,028 posts
  • Reading now?:The Selfish Gene - Richard Dawkins

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:40 PM

It was?! I read this and thought it was okay, but I'm completely astonished that it was nominated for the Man Booker. :lol:

Yeah, I know, strange isn't it? It was short-listed as well, so the panel must have seen something special in it. :dunno:

#42 Athena

Athena

Readaholic, BookWorm & BookEater

• Admin
  • 15,717 posts
  • LocationHelmond, the Netherlands

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:06 AM

I'm currently reading Blake Charlton - Spellwright 2: Spellbound. So far it's nice, I'm about a quarter of the way through. I haven't been reading lots though, because I've been doing other things and I felt less in the mood to read.

#43 chesilbeach

chesilbeach

Conqueror of Mount TBR

• Moderators
  • 12,557 posts
  • Reading now?:Cogheart by Peter Bunzl

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:16 PM

I finished Through The Mirror Door by Sarah Baker yesterday evening, and I've now started The Snow Merchant by Sam Gayton (illustrated beautifully by Chris Riddle :wub:).

I've also picked up The Summer Before The War by Helen Simonson again on Audiobook after a bit of a break, and I'm really enjoying it, and Lucy Scott is an excellent narrator.  Would definitely consider buying an audiobook almost solely based on her narrations, she's that good! :D

#44 Anna Begins

Anna Begins

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,303 posts
  • Reading now?:Roots by Alex Haley
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:17 PM

I've started an autobiography of Madeleine Albright's childhood living through WWII. It's 750 pages, but very good and I've admired her for a long time. I'm 200 pages in.

I'm also reading Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng. The writing is terrible!

#45 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,665 posts
  • LocationHelsinki, Finland

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:31 AM

I've now started The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon; it took me a bit to really get into it but I think I'll like it a lot.

I noticed this on Goodreads and was thrilled you were reading this book! I totally loved it when I read it :smile2:

I have this one my Kindle, and I think it's on the Rory Gilmore challenge as well. I hope to read it this year, as I have only heard good things about it.

Haha, bobbly! :lol: You are already recalling books as ones being on the Rory list! :D I love it :D (I saw you asking me about it in my thread, I'll get to that soon!)  I would totally recommend the book, don't let the size intimidate you :)

The Amazing Adventures... is high up on my to-read list as well. Read his excellent new novel/memoir/mash-up Moonglow earlier this year and it was one of my favourite reads in 2016.Smith's On Beauty...

Glad to see TAAoK&C is high up on your to-read list! :smile2: I hope you will enjoy it! :)

It's definitely on the Rory Gilmore challenge, it's how I chose it  :smile: It has great reviews too, so I think it was a good choice from the list. The list has always scared me a bit with some of the reads, I can just see they're not my style!

Some of the books are definitely ones I wouldn't normally go for, either because I don't fancy them or haven't even heard of them... And there have definitely been a few duds. I don't expect to ever actually finish the list, but I'm having great fun going through it :)  And there have been a few really wonderful treats on the list, books I wouldn't have read otherwise :smile2:  Like The Amazing Adventures, and Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress, for example. 

I am about a quarter of the way through The Go-Between by L P Hartley which is the English Counties Challenge book for Norfolk.  I had it in paperback but the writing is so small that I struggled a bit, so I've bought it on Kindle and I'm getting on much better with it as a result.  :)

Aside from the tiny print, is the book hard to read? I added it on my wishlist some time ago but I was worried I might struggle with it, for some reason? 

Thanks - I am feeling better now. I keep thinking about that poor doggy. I'd love to rehome him but we don't have the space. When we move (hopefully next year) I keep joking (half-joking) that we will have dogs all over the house! :lol:

When I was reading your post about the dog, I did think that it would've been great if you could've adopted him, but I thought there was probably a reason why you didn't, and that it's really none of my business to ask why you didn't :D I hope you can make your dream come true this year and that you will get to move to a bigger house and make it seem so much smaller by adopting many wonderful doggies :D 

I'm currently re-reading The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year by Sue Townsend, but I'm struggling with it. When I'm reading it, I'm enjoying it, but when I pick it up again the next day, I can hardly remember what I've read the previous day. And I get all the minor characters mixed. Something tells me I should put this book down and start another... I just fear that whichever book I choose, I have no mojo for it :(

Edited by frankie, 06 January 2017 - 11:06 AM.

#46 Ben

Ben

Broken

• Advanced Member
  • 5,938 posts
  • LocationWest Yorkshire.

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:12 PM

Glad to see TAAoK&C is high up on your to-read list! :smile2: I hope you will enjoy it! :)

Thanks, Frankie. Amazingly Chabon had never really come to my attention before 2016's Moonglow which I reviewed as an ARC. I loved the way he writes and instantly made a promise to myself to explore his work further. So happy this is commented upon so highly by my fellow BCF-ers.

As for The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year, I really can't remember when I read it now - a couple of years ago maybe? - but I wrote quite a strong review on how much I didn't like it. Not sure if I just didn't *get* it as such, but wasn't particularly enthused by any characters and I didn't really see what it was aiming at in the long-run. I also know a few people on here felt the same. :yes:

Not saying you should give it up if you don't want to... but there's so many other wonderful books to read. :P

#47 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,862 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:29 PM

Aside from the tiny print, is the book hard to read? I added it on my wishlist some time ago but I was worried I might struggle with it, for some reason?

I would say no... except there are an awful lot of footnotes in it which, if I was reading the paper book, I would find frustrating. Some of them I've just ignored because they are explaining who people are and I haven't needed to read them, but there is a chapter were a lot of the dialogue is in French so I've needed them for that.  On the Kindle I just just click on them and the footnote pops up.  If you can, I would suggest looking at a library copy rather than buying it.  I hope that doesn't sound patronising - it's not meant to.  :)  The language is fine and you'd have no problems with that at all. 

I'm really enjoying the story though. 

I'm currently re-reading The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year by Sue Townsend, but I'm struggling with it. When I'm reading it, I'm enjoying it, but when I pick it up again the next day, I can hardly remember what I've read the previous day. And I get all the minor characters mixed. Something tells me I should put this book down and start another... I just fear that whichever book I choose, I have no mojo for it :(

I tried that a few years ago but I hated it.  I wanted to slap the woman and tell her to get up!  :blush:

I've also picked up The Summer Before The War by Helen Simonson again on Audiobook after a bit of a break, and I'm really enjoying it, and Lucy Scott is an excellent narrator.  Would definitely consider buying an audiobook almost solely based on her narrations, she's that good! :D

I've downloaded that.  I need to get out walking again...

#48 chaliepud

chaliepud

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 4,645 posts
  • LocationLeafy Surrey

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:50 PM

Still reading The Letter by Kathyrn Hughes, should finish it tonight or tomorrow, it's ok but the writing is a little simplistic and not particularly inspiring. It isn't something I would abandon as suspect it is partly my mojo but looking forward do trying something else soon.

Also need to get cracking on my 2017 thread! I wasn't sure whether I would do one but think I will. It may inspire me to read more?! :)

#49 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,862 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:59 PM

Still reading The Letter by Kathyrn Hughes, should finish it tonight or tomorrow, it's ok but the writing is a little simplistic and not particularly inspiring. It isn't something I would abandon as suspect it is partly my mojo but looking forward do trying something else soon.

I read that in 2015. I've just looked at my review and I was rather scathing!  It's a shame as it was a great idea, but was poorly executed.  I think maybe it was self-published and could have benefited from an editor, but I can't really remember enough about it to know if that's the case!

#50 chaliepud

chaliepud

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 4,645 posts
  • LocationLeafy Surrey

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:09 PM

I read that in 2015. I've just looked at my review and I was rather scathing! It's a shame as it was a great idea, but was poorly executed. I think maybe it was self-published and could have benefited from an editor, but I can't really remember enough about it to know if that's the case!

Ah! I'll have to read that review when I'm finished. I've seen lots of positive reviews but it is just a bit too bland for me, not helped I realise by reading only small chunks at a time but if it was a great book that wouldn't matter.

#51 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,665 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:49 AM

As for The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year, I really can't remember when I read it now - a couple of years ago maybe? - but I wrote quite a strong review on how much I didn't like it. Not sure if I just didn't *get* it as such, but wasn't particularly enthused by any characters and I didn't really see what it was aiming at in the long-run. I also know a few people on here felt the same. :yes:

Not saying you should give it up if you don't want to... but there's so many other wonderful books to read. :P

I tried that a few years ago but I hated it.  I wanted to slap the woman and tell her to get up!  :blush:

The thing is, when I read this book some years ago, I really enjoyed it! I seem to be in the minority here :) If I'd been doing all the housework for 17 years and had a husband like Brian, and the kids were finally gone, who knows maybe I would've liked to take to bed, too! I think Eva's felt very isolated in her own home, within her own family, and she's gone a bit bonkers. I've suffered depression in the past so I know something about what it's like when it's all not that great. Townsend deals with it in a funny way as she always does, but when you get down to it, a mental issue is a serious thing. But maybe that's just how I'm reading it and not the way Townsend meant it at all. 

In any case, I wasn't going anywhere with it, so I'll re-read it some other time :)  I then picked up Risteily by Mats Strandberg. A very popular Swedish novel, that's made its way to Finland. It's about a Sweden-Finland-Sweden cruise that goes horribly wrong... I'm not sure if it's appropriate reading material for me as I'm going on a cruise in two weeks! :D

I would say no... except there are an awful lot of footnotes in it which, if I was reading the paper book, I would find frustrating. Some of them I've just ignored because they are explaining who people are and I haven't needed to read them, but there is a chapter were a lot of the dialogue is in French so I've needed them for that.  On the Kindle I just just click on them and the footnote pops up.  If you can, I would suggest looking at a library copy rather than buying it.  I hope that doesn't sound patronising - it's not meant to.  :)  The language is fine and you'd have no problems with that at all. 

I'm really enjoying the story though.

Oh boy, footnotes can make one punch oneself in the eye :unsure: The Kindle version sounds like a winner :D And that's a good tip, re: borrowing the book from the library, and not patronizing at all! I will take your advice for sure, thanks! :smile2: 

Also need to get cracking on my 2017 thread! I wasn't sure whether I would do one but think I will. It may inspire me to read more?! :)

I was going through all the new 2017 reading logs and noticed you'd not started one. I wish you would, but no pressure :)  But yes, it might inspire you to read more ;) :D

Edited by frankie, 07 January 2017 - 09:51 AM.

#52 Ben

Ben

Broken

• Advanced Member
  • 5,938 posts
  • LocationWest Yorkshire.

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:41 AM

The thing is, when I read this book some years ago, I really enjoyed it! I seem to be in the minority here :) If I'd been doing all the housework for 17 years and had a husband like Brian, and the kids were finally gone, who knows maybe I would've liked to take to bed, too! I think Eva's felt very isolated in her own home, within her own family, and she's gone a bit bonkers. I've suffered depression in the past so I know something about what it's like when it's all not that great. Townsend deals with it in a funny way as she always does, but when you get down to it, a mental issue is a serious thing. But maybe that's just how I'm reading it and not the way Townsend meant it at all.

That's fair enough. Re-reading my review from January 2014 (posted three years today, in fact!) it seems like I just couldn't swallow the overly ridiculous plot, and I don't think I found it that funny either. I've suffered from depression too in the past, and can understand what Eva felt drawn to do - and more generally, what Townsend was aiming for - but together it just didn't work for me. But hey, some books work for some people, some don't. Life would be boring if we enjoyed all the same ones, right? :yes:

In other reading news for me, I finally got a long period of time to settle down with Zadie Smith's On Beauty and finished it off in a three-hour or so burst last night. To be honest, I really enjoyed it. I've heard some people say that it's hard to love it because none of the characters are exactly people you would like to go for a beer with, but I liked that: not many authors do flawed human existence and everyday life as well as Smith. Her writing is flawless - with exquisite descriptions and hilarious observations - and the plot, although secondary in my eyes, just about sustains itself. Slightly trite ending but very much worth a read.

Struggling a bit to decide what to read next - so many choices. :lol:

#53 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,665 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:16 PM

That's fair enough. Re-reading my review from January 2014 (posted three years today, in fact!) it seems like I just couldn't swallow the overly ridiculous plot, and I don't think I found it that funny either. I've suffered from depression too in the past, and can understand what Eva felt drawn to do - and more generally, what Townsend was aiming for - but together it just didn't work for me. But hey, some books work for some people, some don't. Life would be boring if we enjoyed all the same ones, right? :yes:

That's definitely true, different strokes for different folks :smile2: 

#54 chaliepud

chaliepud

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 4,645 posts
  • LocationLeafy Surrey

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:50 PM

I was going through all the new 2017 reading logs and noticed you'd not started one. I wish you would, but no pressure :)  But yes, it might inspire you to read more ;) :D

I am getting there, I'm just about to type up my TBR's onto a Word document then I will crack on with it! Thanks for the encouragement! :)

#55 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,665 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:55 PM

I am getting there, I'm just about to type up my TBR's onto a Word document then I will crack on with it! Thanks for the encouragement! :)

Oh yay! :smile2: I hope there will be no great big distractions and you can finish it in one go! :) Obi and Jojo, behave :D <3

#56 bobblybear

bobblybear

Too many books!!

• Supporter
  • 5,028 posts
  • Reading now?:The Selfish Gene - Richard Dawkins

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:15 PM

I've nearly finished The Poisonous Seed by Linda Stratmann. Good but not great, and it is dragging a bit towards the end. Not sure what to read next.....I'm thinking either Middlesex or The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.

#57 Onion Budgie

Onion Budgie

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:32 PM

Not sure what to read next.....I'm thinking either Middlesex or The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.

Middlesex!  Go on.  :D

#58 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,665 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:37 PM

I've nearly finished The Poisonous Seed by Linda Stratmann. Good but not great, and it is dragging a bit towards the end. Not sure what to read next.....I'm thinking either Middlesex or The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.

Middlesex!  Go on.   :D

Yes! Middlesex!! 

Or The Amazing Adventures!! 

Either one! Oh my god you can't fail with this choice :D It's win-win! :exc: 

#59 Little Pixie

Little Pixie

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 2,715 posts
  • Reading now?:A risky way to kill - Richard Lockridge

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:29 PM

I've started an autobiography of Madeleine Albright's childhood living through WWII. It's 750 pages, but very good and I've admired her for a long time. I'm 200 pages in.

Oh ! I didn`t know she`d written one. Off to look it up now. :D

I`m starting off the year with some rereads- Rita Mae Brown`s Mrs Murphy series. :)

#60 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,862 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:49 PM

I in no way meant to be rude about anyone with depression - I didn't realise that's what was wrong with the woman - I just thought she was lazy.

I don't recall any of what I read, but I've just searched for, and found, the post I made when I tried it:

Sadly I've given up on The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year:(   I got up to page 156, so I gave it a good try, but the characters were just awful and I felt no empathy towards 'The Woman' or her family.  Frankly I couldn't care less if she stayed in bed for ever!    :blush:

I'd have thought that by 156 I'd have worked out she was suffering from depression, but whilst it's not a condition I've (thankfully) ever had, I do have a very good friend who suffers and would never knowingly criticise anyone - or want to slap them.  I'm sorry if I came across as intolerant. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users