204 replies to this topic

#21 bobblybear

bobblybear

Too many books!!

• Supporter
  • 5,044 posts
  • Reading now?:Grunt - Mary Roach

Posted 02 January 2017 - 08:57 PM

I'll be interested to hear what you think about this one, Brian. I added it to my wishlist last year. My boss had it on his desk one day, and said he'd been recommended it by his boss. It looked like it would be an interesting read, but I'm still on the fence about reading it (with so many others on my pile).

#22 Anna Begins

Anna Begins

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,303 posts
  • Reading now?:Roots by Alex Haley
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:28 PM

Moonglow is on my TBR for this year, high priority, for sure.

#23 Ben

Ben

Broken

• Advanced Member
  • 5,939 posts
  • LocationWest Yorkshire.

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:16 AM

Moonglow is on my TBR for this year, high priority, for sure.

This is good to hear, Anna. I haven't read any of his others, but Moonglow was fabulous!

#24 anisia

anisia

Watch the Sky

• Supporter
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:14 AM

I have this one my Kindle, and I think it's on the Rory Gilmore challenge as well. I hope to read it this year, as I have only heard good things about it.

It's definitely on the Rory Gilmore challenge, it's how I chose it  :smile: It has great reviews too, so I think it was a good choice from the list. The list has always scared me a bit with some of the reads, I can just see they're not my style! 

The Amazing Adventures... is high up on my to-read list as well. Read his excellent new novel/memoir/mash-up Moonglow earlier this year and it was one of my favourite reads in 2016.

I haven't read Moonglow, I'll have to add it to the TBR list.

#25 shirley

shirley

Super Bookworm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Reading now?:It changes so often i cannot keep up
  • LocationGloucestershire

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:46 AM

I am starting the year off by reading Alfie and George by Rachel Wells.

On our big sort out last week I have put to one side all the books I have not read and I have concluded if I read one book a week I will not need to buy another book for 2 years.  And we all know that is not going to happen.  I love buying books.

Sorry had to edit this comment.

I totally forgot all about my kindle books which are too numerous to mention.  In between writing this post I have downloaded three new free books from Kindle. 

Edited by shirley, 03 January 2017 - 09:55 AM.

#26 Madeleine

Madeleine

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,329 posts
  • Reading now?:The Body on the Doorstep by A J Mackenzie & The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
  • LocationSE England

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:29 AM

I think we can all agree with you re tbr piles and book buying Shirley!

#27 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 12,058 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes.
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:35 AM

I didn't actually finish any books in December, though I'm working my way through three books, so my new aim is to get them done asap to give me a headstart in January.

As I also basically haven't been on the forum for the past month due to illness, moving house, and Christmas, I have a LOT of posts from the 2016 blogs to catch up on! I don't want to miss any potential new additions to my TBR! :giggle:

#28 chesilbeach

chesilbeach

Conqueror of Mount TBR

• Moderators
  • 12,729 posts
  • Reading now?:Cogheart by Peter Bunzl

Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:55 PM

Made a good start on Through the Mirror Door by Sarah Baker today - very good so far. :)

Bought myself The Princess Bride by William Goldman (which I've never actually read, despite loving the film and having read Cary Elwes book about the making of the film!) and Spill Simmer Falter Wither by Sara Baume, both of which are in the Kindle monthly deals offer. :smile2:

#29 bobblybear

bobblybear

Too many books!!

• Supporter
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:37 PM

Started a book I was bought just before Christmas, The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg.

I've just picked this up on the Kindle Monthly Deals for only £1.99.

Bought myself The Princess Bride by William Goldman (which I've never actually read, despite loving the film and having read Cary Elwes book about the making of the film!) and Spill Simmer Falter Wither by Sara Baume, both of which are in the Kindle monthly deals offer. :smile2:

So glad you posted about the monthly Kindle deals. I always forget to check those! :doh:

I've bought The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg, The Age of Wonder by Richard Holmes and Wild Swans by Jung Chang. There are a few others that I could have bought but I'm trying to show some restraint so early in the new year. :giggle:

I've nearly finished We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler. If all goes to plan (ie. if I don't fall asleep) I should finish it tonight. It's very different to what I expected, and I'm not that keen on the descriptions of lab experiments on animals.  :wacko: 

#30 Anna Begins

Anna Begins

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 4,303 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:48 PM

I finished a terrific book by Ian Kershaw on the history of Europe from 1914- 1949. Mammoth book. I read 230 pages yesterday!

Now I've started Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng.

#31 Anna Begins

Anna Begins

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 4,303 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:56 PM

I didn't actually finish any books in December, though I'm working my way through three books, so my new aim is to get them done asap to give me a headstart in January.

As I also basically haven't been on the forum for the past month due to illness, moving house, and Christmas, I have a LOT of posts from the 2016 blogs to catch up on! I don't want to miss any potential new additions to my TBR! :giggle:

It's great to see you back!

#32 willoyd

willoyd

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 2,212 posts
  • Reading now?:The Crime at Black Dudley by Margery Allingham
  • LocationWharfedale

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:42 PM

Starting the year with The Awakening of Miss Prim.  Initial reaction is that it's quirky, and a wee bit stilted, but still engaging, and easy to read.  Will leave the heavier stuff for a week or two at least.

Completed today.  Inital impressions stuck with this one.  Felt it was initailly attracitv, but something never quite added up enough for me, with a somwat artficial setting it's certinly not real!), and similar characters.

#33 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 12,058 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes.
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:50 PM

It's great to see you back!

Thank you!  :friends3:

#34 bobblybear

bobblybear

Too many books!!

• Supporter
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:15 AM

Last night I finished We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves. It was good, but not great - felt like something was missing. I'm a bit surprised that it was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize, as I didn't find it remarkable in any way. :dunno:

I've picked my next read somewhat at random: The Poisonous Seed by Linda Stratmann.

#35 MrCat

MrCat

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Reading now?:Of course

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:02 AM

Finished To Kill a Mockingbird and I thought I'd stay in the area with the theme and read Beloved by Toni Morrison. 

#36 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,914 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:45 AM

Last night I finished We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves. It was good, but not great - felt like something was missing. I'm a bit surprised that it was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize, as I didn't find it remarkable in any way. :dunno:

I found it rather underwhelming too, Bobs.   :)

I am about a quarter of the way through The Go-Between by L P Hartley which is the English Counties Challenge book for Norfolk.  I had it in paperback but the writing is so small that I struggled a bit, so I've bought it on Kindle and I'm getting on much better with it as a result.  :)

#37 bobblybear

bobblybear

Too many books!!

• Supporter
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:51 PM

I found it rather underwhelming too, Bobs.   :)

A lot of people seem to feel similar, going by Amazon reviews. Still, I'm glad I read it as it's one more off the TBR list. :D

The Poisonous Seed by Linda Stratmann is going well. It gets right into the story from page one, which is often a good thing. :smile:

#38 Ben

Ben

Broken

• Advanced Member
  • 5,939 posts
  • LocationWest Yorkshire.

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:55 PM

It was?! I read this and thought it was okay, but I'm completely astonished that it was nominated for the Man Booker. :lol:

Very little reading done for me today. I'm very much enjoying On Beauty but just haven't had much time to sit down with it. Intended to read on commute to new job today but was a bit nervous about where I was getting off/less familiar surroundings, so couldn't concentrate and didn't bother. Will hopefully get a couple of hours to sit down with it tonight before bed.

#39 Lau_Lou

Lau_Lou

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Reading now?:A Midsummer Night's Dream ~ William Shakespeare

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:15 PM

Hope you enjoyed your first day, Ben.

I started reading The White Princess today. I went on a walk on my lunch break and decided to go into a charity shop to browse the books. Only to browse til I saw an unopened boxset of the Cousins War series including The Other Boleyn Girl, The Boleyn Inheritance and The Constant Princess, all for £2.

Edited by Lau_Lou, 04 January 2017 - 07:15 PM.

#40 bookmonkey

bookmonkey

Bibliophile

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationDown Under

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:37 PM

Finished Adams Empire by Evan Green and Shattered by Lisa Unger.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users