Your Book Activity - January 2017

chesilbeach

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still reading Blake Charlton - Spellwright 3: Spellbreaker but I have to admit I'm not enjoying it much :(. I really liked the first two books in this trilogy but this third one I'm not liking so much. I'm thinking about abandoning it, though it seems such a shame. I've read about a quarter of the book (page 125 out of 476). Between book 2 and 3 are a number of years. I don't like the things that happened between these two books (that are described in book 3) and I don't like what's going on in book 3 (I can't spoil things, but there are certain elements of the plot I don't like). I don't like one of the main characters (she's new in book 3), I do like the old characters from the earlier books but we don't see as much from them as I'd like. I find myself not having much patience for the descriptions and I don't understand the motivations of some of the characters. I feel too many different countries, peoples, groups are involved and it's too confusing to keep them apart properly. There's also not as much talk of magic like there was in the first two books, not in the same way. I'm going to give the book a little bit longer, then perhaps abandon it depending on if it gets better or not. And I've been waiting for 5 years for this book to come out :(. Such a disappointment. Maybe I'm just too tired for it, I don't know. I hope it gets better soon, otherwise I might have to put it down and read something else instead.

EDIT: I'm abandoning it :(.

Edited by Athena

Disappointing that you've had to abandon, Gaia, I hope your next read is a better one. :yes:

I'm currently reading Alone in Berlin and getting along with it nicely after reading both too and from work today. Really haven't felt in the mood tonight though (probably to do with having a fall on the way home from work), which is a shame because Friday night/Sunday's are my main days I get to spend a few hours with a good book.

Perhaps I'll try a few more chapters later this evening. *shrugs*

I finished reading Broadmoor Revealed a few days ago and I'm now around halfway through Round the Christmas Fire. Last night I read a short and humorous book that I received for Christmas, called All I Need to Know I Learned from My Cat (and Then Some).

Sorry about the abandoned book, Athena, but sometimes it has to be done and you will feel better for it. :D

I'm currently reading Alone in Berlin and getting along with it nicely after reading both too and from work today. Really haven't felt in the mood tonight though (probably to do with having a fall on the way home from work), which is a shame because Friday night/Sunday's are my main days I get to spend a few hours with a good book.

Alone in Berlin is on my TBR pile, so looking forward to reading your thoughts on it.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay is getting a bit heavy going so I've put it to one side to read something a bit 'easier'. I've settled on Stolen Child by Laura Elliot. No idea why I bought this, but it's doing the trick nicely. Easy to read and fast-paced. :D

I finished Stolen Child last night. Enjoyable but it dragged on a bit too long. I managed to read for about 3 hours solid with no interruptions....can't remember the last time I managed that! :readingtwo:

I should finish The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay today, and then I will be starting Apple Tree Yard by Louise Doughty. I also hope to read more of A Million Years In A Day. If I don't pick it up soon I fear I will lose momentum with it. :doh:

I should finish The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay today, 

I hope it's not heavy going anymore? :blush: 

I'm more than 100 pages into The Twenty-Three by Linwood Barclay. This is the last book in the trilogy, I'm sad to see it end :unsure: 

I hope it's not heavy going anymore? :blush:

The heaviness comes and goes. :lol: It's not a book that you can read quickly, because so much is going on that needs to be taken in. I'm going to read more this morning, but I keep getting distracted by all sorts of things on the internet. :lol:

The heaviness comes and goes. :lol: It's not a book that you can read quickly, because so much is going on that needs to be taken in. I'm going to read more this morning, but I keep getting distracted by all sorts of things on the internet. :lol:

Shoo, shoo!! Nothing to see here, go away and read the book! 

:lol: 

then I will be starting Apple Tree Yard by Louise Doughty. I

Really hope you enjoy this, I has some issues with it but it was the kind of book I loved despite that.

I have finished Dear Amy by Helen Callaghan, Ragdoll by Daniel Cole and Good Me Bad Me by Ali Land, three thrillers to start off the year! Enjoyed all three of them, Dear Amy the least but the other two were both very good.

Shoo, shoo!! Nothing to see here, go away and read the book! 

:lol:

I somehow ended up on the PS4 playing Fallout 4. :blush2:

Really hope you enjoy this, I has some issues with it but it was the kind of book I loved despite that.

Oh good, hopefully I will get on well with it. :D

Finished the audiobook of Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope this morning, which means I'm exactly three quarters of the way through the English Counties challenge!  :doowapstart:

I've also just finished reading The Thing About Jellyfish by Ali Benjamin this afternoon.

Feel the need for something grown up next, so thinking about going back to Cold Comfort Farm which I left half way through when my reading started slowing down last year. :)

Disappointing that you've had to abandon, Gaia, I hope your next read is a better one. :yes:

Sorry about the abandoned book, Athena, but sometimes it has to be done and you will feel better for it. :D

Thanks Ben and BB :)! I felt much better after abandoning the book.

I finished Stolen Child last night. Enjoyable but it dragged on a bit too long. I managed to read for about 3 hours solid with no interruptions....can't remember the last time I managed that! :readingtwo:

Is Stolen Child written by Laura Elliot? If so, I liked it. If not, then I haven't heard of it :P.

So much for not buying any more books ... we were shopping this morning, and stopped in an independent bookshop, so it seemed rude not to buy a book and support them!  I bought myself Golden Hill by Francis Spufford. :D

I hope you enjoy your new book :)

I somehow ended up on the PS4 playing Fallout 4. :blush2:

Well, it's a good game so who can blame you :P.

I read Diane Chamberlain - Keeper of the Light / Kiss River 1: Keeper of the Light (I'm unsure of the name of the series, as it's different depending on where you look) and David Levithan - The Lover's Dictionary. Currently not reading any book, I might browse my book shelves later :).

I'm 100 pages into The Great Forgetting by James Renner, and it's just starting to kick off and get really interesting.  The story so far is about Governmental mind control of civilians, via chemicals in the water and the air.  Knowing Renner, there could even be some time travel plopped in along the way, but I'm only guessing.  I'm really enjoying it.

Is Stolen Child written by Laura Elliot? If so, I liked it. If not, then I haven't heard of it :P.

Yes, that's the one. :smile:

I still haven't finished The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. I'm at 92% and I should finish it tonight. :D

Yes, that's the one. :smile:

I look forward to read your review of it in due time :).

I've started reading Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff - The Illuminae Files 2: Gemina. I found myself in the mood for it. So far, so good :). Though I haven't read a lot in it yet, but I do look forward to reading more in it later.

I'm 100 pages into The Great Forgetting by James Renner, and it's just starting to kick off and get really interesting.  The story so far is about Governmental mind control of civilians, via chemicals in the water and the air.  Knowing Renner, there could even be some time travel plopped in along the way, but I'm only guessing.  I'm really enjoying it.

Ooooh *adds to wishlist*

I'm reading The Last Days of Jack Sparks and it's pretty good. Don't really like Jack himself, but it's a fun read.

I still haven't finished The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. I'm at 92% and I should finish it tonight. :D

I finished it last night. Pretty good, but I found it a bit too long.

I look forward to read your review of it in due time :).

I need to get started on my 2017 reviews. I don't want to get too far behind so early on in the year. :o

I've also bought The Reader on the 6:27 by Jean-Paul Didierlaurent as it was on the Kindle Daily Deal today :)

I loved that one! :smile2: I hope you'll like it! 

I finished it last night. Pretty good, but I found it a bit too long.

Good enough for me :D:unsure::blush::D 

I have 80 pages left of The Twenty-Three by Linwood Barclay.