Your Book Activity - January 2017

chesilbeach

Oh, I didn't mean to imply she was suffering from depression. I only meant that in my viewing she was having some sort of mental issue.

Whatever it's about I don't think I'll be bothering with it again! :D

Speaking as someone who has suffered from depression (as you know) and someone who is friends with you (as I hope you know :giggle2: ) I certainly didn't take offence or find you intolerant.

By contrast, I have found Townsend's books (other than Mole) to inspire feelings of intolerance in me! It wasn't that one that I've found the worst, I'd have to google the title, but I definitely remember wanting to slap the lead character!!

Thanks, Alex.   :empathy:  :) Apart from the Mole books, the only other I've read is The Queen and I - and although that was years ago I remember feeling it didn't quite live up to expectations. 

I also started reading Round the Christmas Fire late last year, and even though the season is now over, I plan to keep reading it. I'm only up to the second story so far...at this rate I'll be finished by Christmas this year! :D

I failed to read that again this year!  I'm going to start my Christmas reading much earlier in 2017.  I hope you're enjoying it.  :)

I'm sure I've read Broadmoor Revealed, but according to Amazon I haven't purchased it. :o  I definitely read a book on Broadmoor a couple of years ago. I can't remember a lot about it but I know it was fascinating at the time.

You have - back in 2014   :)  It was the first book I 'bought' on Kindle.  I say bought, but it was definitely free when it first came out.  I expect you're looking at a newer Kindle edition which is why it's not saying you've bought it. 

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have - back in 2014   :)  It was the first book I 'bought' on Kindle.  I say bought, but it was definitely free when it first came out.  I expect you're looking at a newer Kindle edition which is why it's not saying you've bought it. 

:lol: Thanks, that makes sense! I was too lazy to check my own Book Logs. :blush2:

I finally finished a book yesterday! Worst start to a year I've had probably ever. I'm already one book behind on my Goodreads Challenge :lol:

I finished Ragdoll by Daniel Cole, an ARC kindly passed on to me by Michelle. Thoroughly enjoyed it - wasn't crazy about the ending but a thoroughly enjoyable read.

I'm currently also reading Some Will Not Sleep by Adam Nevill - a short story collection, and I've only two left to read, a bit mixed but some great creepy stories. Gonna try power through one at lunch today. And I'm almost halfway through The Inferior by Peadar O'Guilín, which I'm also finding pretty good.

:empathy:  :empathy:   I was actually going to tidy my bookshelves, too, as they need dusting!  Remember how Lorelai wanted Luke to paint the diner and she made up that painting song? :D I wonder if we could come up with a bookshelf tidying song! If you come up with anything, record it and send it over! :D

Oh no, I don't have to dust them do I?  :o Hell, I'll need a song just to get by. :P  The shelves remain as they were, I have been too busy to go browse. *big dramatic self indulgent sigh* But I'm not actually feeling worried about this small gap between books.......just yet.

What a nice positive outlook :). I find that sometimes it can spark my reading mood / mojo if I look at my bookshelves or organise them. I hope you'll feel more like reading soon :).

I have realised that panic doesn't my reading mojo return. If we get to July and I haven't picked up a book, THEN I'll panic!  :giggle2:

I must be the only one on BCF that has not read Middlesex. 

Nope, I have it but haven't read it yet. If we time it right there may be a group read in the offing this year!  :D

I haven't! It's been sitting on my shelf for years :P

^ This is me!

I bought it when it came out in paperback, way back when.  :smile:

Omg it's so good, I have 100 pages left of 750 and it's only been 3 days! It's called Prague Winter.

I think my next book will either be As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner or Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe. My mom and I want to start 1984 on the 10th.

Well done !  :D

Started reading Millions by Frank Cottrell Boyce during my lunch break.

Also, I've started listening to Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope read by Timothy West, and it's great.  Much better than I found it when I tried to read myself it last year. :D

I have had a fantastic reading start to my year - since January 1st I have read 5 books (and have started my 6th) with a total of 1,961 pages read.  I'm really happy with that and must try to keep up the pace and not fall into yet another reading slump.  I really need to go and update my reading log too - that is a job for this afternoon!

Well done! :smile2: You're on a roll! 

Oh no, I don't have to dust them do I?  :o Hell, I'll need a song just to get by. :P  The shelves remain as they were, I have been too busy to go browse. *big dramatic self indulgent sigh* But I'm not actually feeling worried about this small gap between books.......just yet.

Oh no, the dusting was for me only. I meant we were both going to take part in fundling our books :D I'm sure yours would be a much more cheery song as mine, as yours wouldn't involve any housework... 

I finally finished a book yesterday! Worst start to a year I've had probably ever. I'm already one book behind on my Goodreads Challenge :lol:

Don't worry...you've got the rest of the year to catch up. :lol:

I must be the only one on BCF that has not read Middlesex. 

I haven't read it, but I intend to read it very soon. But like Janet, I have no idea what it's about or if it's even my kind of book. :dunno:

Nope, I have it but haven't read it yet. If we time it right there may be a group read in the offing this year!  :D

I would definitely be up for that. It's a great idea seeing as so many people are talking about reading it, or having it on their TBR pile.

I'm all for a group read of Middlesex at some point this year, I haven't read it either. :lol:

Ditto!

I've read a bit more of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. I'm now getting the hang of it and that some of the chapters are set within the comic book story (it confused me the first time.....I thought 'Who are these people who have suddenly appeared in the story? What have I missed?' :lol:). My reading always slows down a bit during work days as I'm so tired after work, but I will make a concerted effort to read more of it tonight.

*raises hand* Not me :D

My mom and I are starting 1984. A re read for me, of a book that traumatized me as a teenager. A friend of mine just re read it and said, as an adult, her whole perception has changed. I'm scared lol

Hi there!
I am starting my year with some less heard of authors. I like mainstream scifi / fantasy but recently I've noticed a raw edge coming up through less traditional works that I like.
Taking a look at 'Welcome to Night' Vale by Joseph Fink & Jeffrey Cranor, and 'Moppers Anonymous' by Jon Best.

I finished Millions by Frank Cottrell Boyce this afternoon, which was pretty good middle grade.  I've got another MG book up next on my list, The Thing About Jellyfish by Ali Benjamin, but I'm listening to Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope as an antidote to all the kids books!  I think I'll take a break from them after this one, and read something a bit more grown up, but would like to read my Christmas books sooner rather than later. :D

I'm listening to Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope as an antidote to all the kids books!  I think I'll take a break from them after this one, and read something a bit more grown up.... :D

I must admit, whilst I used to be able to read children's books fairly regularly, the past few years I've read less and less, and now only one or two a year.  I suspect it's because of teaching - I find once I leave school, I crave adult company/reading/theatre/cinema etc.  Even then it's mostly the older stuff (as in the age of the book, not the reader!) - I loved rereading Swallows and Amazons over Christmas for instance - Philip Pullman and JK Rowling proving rare exceptions. 

Loved Barchester Towers by the way!  Hope it does the same for you.

Edited by willoyd

I must admit, whilst I used to be able to read children's books fairly regularly, the past few years I've read less and less, and now only one or two a year.  I suspect it's because of teaching - I find once I leave school, I crave adult company/reading/theatre/cinema etc.  Even then it's mostly the older stuff (as in the age of the book, not the reader!) - I loved rereading Swallows and Amazons over Christmas for instance - Philip Pullman and JK Rowling proving rare exceptions.

Since joining the forum, I've starting reading children's and YA books because of discussions I've seen here, and over the last few years, I would say the improvement in quality and breadth of middle grade books has been wonderful, so my love of stories has been fed. I can understand why you'd want a break from it, but I work in a very different environment, and the escapism of the stories is usually a tonic, but I think because I received a lot of children's books for Christmas, I'm overdosing on them a bit and just need to step away for a book or two. :D

Loved Barchester Towers by the way!  Hope it does the same for you.

Well, it's a 19 hour audiobook, and I've only been listening since Monday and I'm already 9 hours in, so I think that shows just how much I'm enjoying it! :lol:

I've got three books on the go and have been reading over 100 pages a day!

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, 1984 and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory :D

That's quite a diverse set of books! Probably a good idea to have a children's book on hand when reading something heavygoing. (Although children's books can be quite dark these days...)