Your Book Activity - January 2017

chesilbeach

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought myself A Slice Of Britain by Caroline Taggart on Kindle as the price had dropped recently and I had some vouchers to use.

I'm reading Poppy Pym and the Pharaoh's Curse by Laura Wood which was on of my Christmas books - I'm going to try and read all the books I received as presents first this year, before moving on to my other books. :)

Starting the year with The Awakening of Miss Prim.  Initial reaction is that it's quirky, and a wee bit stilted, but still engaging, and easy to read.  Will leave the heavier stuff for a week or two at least.

I finished The Christmasaurus by Tom Fletcher today.  It was fun - I imagine if I were the target audience (7-9 years) I would have really loved it.  :)

I'm about halfway through this - I think it's great! Can't wait for my little one to be big enough to read this too!

I finished The Invisible Life of Eurídice Gusmão today - I read the Dutch translation. I was hoping to finish it in 2016, but some things came up yesterday and I went out to dinner with my sister and some others last night to celebrate New Year's Eve. I was only 30 pages away from the end, but it's on the 2017 list now  :smile:

I've now started reading The Three Emperors: Three Cousins, Three Empires And The Roald To World War One by Miranda Carter. I'm reading it in Dutch as the original wasn't available in the library. This is non fiction and I usually read fiction, but because of my interest in history and particularly this era, I couldn't leave it there!

Despite my goal of reading fewer history books, I'm in the middle of The Life of Elizabeth I by Alison Weir and To Hell and Back by the amazing British historian Ian Kershaw. I also have Burma Chronicles by Guy Delisle, a graphic novel.

Seeing in the year with Big Sur by Jack Kerouac which I started about a week ago but only managed to read a tiny bit of. (Less than 50% complete and it counts as 2017 read in my opinion.) Enjoying it actually - so different to the better-known On the Road.

I bought two Kindle books today  (part of the 12 Days Deal):

The Loney - Andrew Michael Hurley

Let The Light Shine - Nick Alexander

I've also managed to read a fair bit of We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves, which is not bad going.

Edited by bobblybear

I started The Girl Who Saved Christmas by Matt Haig (a present from Kay and Alan) last night when I went to bed and I've just finished it.  :)

I bought The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry on Kindle today.  I was going to buy the hardback but looked it up on Amazon and it's 99p today! :D

I finished Knots & Crosses by Ian Ranking, always love reading a good crime book. I've now started The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon; it took me a bit to really get into it but I think I'll like it a lot. 

I've now started The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon; it took me a bit to really get into it but I think I'll like it a lot. 

I have this one my Kindle, and I think it's on the Rory Gilmore challenge as well. I hope to read it this year, as I have only heard good things about it.

The Amazing Adventures... is high up on my to-read list as well. Read his excellent new novel/memoir/mash-up Moonglow earlier this year and it was one of my favourite reads in 2016.

Managed to crack on with Big Sur today and should have it finished tonight. Kerouac's style definitely isn't for everyone - and takes getting used to - but I've really enjoyed this. Like I mentioned yesterday, very much a different dynamic to the more popular On the Road but still a fascinating, probing read. Not sure what to pick up next, have been eyeing up Zadie Smith's On Beauty...

I'll be interested to hear what you think about this one, Brian. I added it to my wishlist last year. My boss had it on his desk one day, and said he'd been recommended it by his boss. It looked like it would be an interesting read, but I'm still on the fence about reading it (with so many others on my pile).

Moonglow is on my TBR for this year, high priority, for sure.

This is good to hear, Anna. I haven't read any of his others, but Moonglow was fabulous!

I have this one my Kindle, and I think it's on the Rory Gilmore challenge as well. I hope to read it this year, as I have only heard good things about it.

It's definitely on the Rory Gilmore challenge, it's how I chose it  :smile: It has great reviews too, so I think it was a good choice from the list. The list has always scared me a bit with some of the reads, I can just see they're not my style! 

The Amazing Adventures... is high up on my to-read list as well. Read his excellent new novel/memoir/mash-up Moonglow earlier this year and it was one of my favourite reads in 2016.

I haven't read Moonglow, I'll have to add it to the TBR list.

I am starting the year off by reading Alfie and George by Rachel Wells.

On our big sort out last week I have put to one side all the books I have not read and I have concluded if I read one book a week I will not need to buy another book for 2 years.  And we all know that is not going to happen.  I love buying books.

Sorry had to edit this comment.

I totally forgot all about my kindle books which are too numerous to mention.  In between writing this post I have downloaded three new free books from Kindle. 

Edited by shirley