The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

Kell

I got this book cheap, thank god and probably only got it due to the hype and online reviews. The first 50 pages with the initial murder was great then I struggled with the rest of the book as I found it boring especially teen romance / a childish religious glorification of the after life; the supernatural elements were like a poor version of the ghost (the film in the 90s). Maybe being male, mid 20s and "not of the faith" I really should have skipped this ! (loved time travellers wife which is a hundreds times better)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the film of this ready to watch but wanted to read the book first of course ;) It started off really well and I got into it pretty quickly, the murder made it seem promising. It's written in short snappy chapters which makes it easy to pick up and put down and although it should have been a relatively quick read for me, by the time I got half way through it I got a bit bored. Nothing was really happening, it's basically just the story of how Susie's family coped after her death and I also felt that the ending was a bit of an anti-climax. I'll still watch the film though and hope it's not as disappointing as the book.

:lol: Now really, what an expression to use! Dexter would be proud :giggle2:

Oooh you think? :exc: (My initial reaction, I promise! :blush: )

It never even occured to me that it might sound a bit Dexterish, should that and my initial reaction worry me do you think? :haha:

this is the same as me, really need to get around to reading the book.

I hate watching something before reading it, much better the other way around ;)

I hate watching something before reading it, much better the other way around ;)

for me it's usually the other way around, a win-win situation to see the film first; if it's good the book will most likely be much better and if it's not then the book is still surely good because why would they make a film out of a bad book? :)

for me it's usually the other way around, a win-win situation to see the film first; if it's good the book will most likely be much better and if it's not then the book is still surely good because why would they make a film out of a bad book? :)

Ah,, I see your reasoning :D

:lol: Now really, what an expression to use! Dexter would be proud :giggle2:

:lol: Indeed!

I read the book years ago and really liked it and was really surprised some of the people on this thread thought it was overestimated and overhyped. Maybe that's because I wasn't a victim to any hyping at all but discovered the book by accident myself. I don't think I will watch the movie though, I don't know if it could live up to my expectations. I thought the ending,

or what happened to the main character's rapist& killer

was genious.