The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

Kell

Well I thought about reading this book when I first heard of it, but doubted.. seems like a difficult book. But now I am seeing the trailer of the film all over tv, not that fantastic but again it's got me doubting to read the book. :D

Would rather read the book than watch the film tho.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was a decent read (excluding the

Susie-falls-down-from-heaven-and-possesses-her-friend-to-have-sex-with-some-dude

part), but then again, it's been about four years since I've read it. The premise of a little girl watching her family grieve from heaven was intriguing. While the book was sometimes slow, I enjoyed the writing style and perspective.

I tried to read the book when it was fairly new out, and just didn't like it at all. However, I then tried it again last month and loved it. Funny how tastes change.

I've seen the film and it's not a patch on the book. Lots of stuff was left out and a lot of stuff was changed. I was expecting it to be quite an emotional film and I didn't really feel that. Still worth watching though.

I read this book a few years ago and really liked it.

I'm really interested in watching the film. My OH suprised me because he said he wanted to watch the film too, except I don't think he'll like it as he doesn't like the sound of the book. He's a funny onion.:friends0:

I have it on my TBR pile, but have read so many mixed reviews of both book and film that it doesn't yet inspire me to move it up the pile .. I do have a copy though and so will read it sooner or later and as someone else said, it's best to make up your own mind .. we can't all like the same thing.

I bought a copy of this in a charity shop yesterday for myself and another copy in another charity shop for a friend of mine! :D Hope we like it, it sounds good and the film doesn't look too bad either.

The trailer for the movie looks fantastic and would lead most people to want to see it. Also, Saoirse Ronan won an IFTA for her performance in the movie, hard to believe she is only 15, incredibly mature girl.

Also, Saoirse Ronan won an IFTA for her performance in the movie, hard to believe she is only 15, incredibly mature girl.

Oh I lover her in City of Ember, even though that turned out even more a kiddie film that I expected, but she is a great actress. So that's a plus for the film.

Just saw the film and thought it was quite good, not as earth shattering as the hype may suggest but still a very strong story and some memorable performances from Ronan and Tucci, who definitely should walk away with Oscars.

The only criticism i have of the film is that Jackson goes waaaay overboard with his CGI affects. They are striking when used sparingly but lose their power to impress when he wheels them out as much as he does during the film. Less is more!

Other than that, great movie. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Seeing as the reviews went both ways here made me want to read this book.I must admit I didnt mind it at all but I too thought the part where Suzie goes into Ruth's body just to have sex was a little daft,imo.Also I was quite disappointed in the ending too..:D

Seeing as the reviews went both ways here made me want to read this book.I must admit I didnt mind it at all but I too thought the part where Suzie goes into Ruth's body just to have sex was a little daft,imo.Also I was quite disappointed in the ending too..:smile2:

Yes, i agree with the scene with Suzie returning to earth for her kiss, but i think they managed it better in the film than the book, which described it in a very clumbsy manner. I did enjoy the film but it had a tad too much CGI visions of the Afterlife for comfort and also, its hard to believe that nobody saw Stanley Gucci lead Suzie down his underground playroom under the cornfield in broad daylight...

I enjoyed the book (I reviewed it in my reading log) but I looked at a synopsis of the film on imdb and it looks to have been "Hollywoodised" .

I probably will see it at some point on DVD with my wife.

• 2 months later...

this was what I want to say as one of my First books ever - because I didn't really enjoy reading until i was 16 or 17.. so I really enjoyed it back then! I even named a stuffed elephant that my boyfriend got me Susie because I loved it so much. but I don't think I could read it now that my tastes have grown. I tried to read another book by the same author, and I could hardly even start it. but boy do I love Susie my elephant!!! :)

I really enjoyed the Lovely Bones, i thought Sebold dealt with a difficult subject matter very sensitively but i do agree with others who said the ending was a bit of a let down. I also read Lucky & Almost Moon by the same author which also deal with difficult subjects, rape & the stress of being the sole care of an elderly parent. I thought Almost Moon was a fantastic book & wouldn't hesitate to recommend it even to those people who didn't enjoy the Lovely Bones.

• 1 month later...

I read this book highly recommended by my mum and was dissapointed.

I didn't think it was bad but it definitely wasn't a favorite!

I didn't like the coming to earth and possessing her friend part, I thought it just didn't fit with the rest of the story!

My dads recently bought this dvd for his gf so I'll fill in on what I thought of it soon :-) xx

• 1 month later...

My cousin read this then demanded I read it and I would love it. It did what it was supposed to do and had me in tears. What a brilliant book, a brilliant storyline and it was just amazing. The only bit I wasn't to keen on was the possesion thing but apart from that it was awesome.

I loved the idea of people sharing a heaven.

Hated the movie, I thought it was terrible and I was actually really looking forward to it!

• 2 weeks later...