Claire's Book List 2017

chesilbeach

Current reading status

Kindle: The Go-Between by L. P. Hartley (16%)

Kindle: Reader, I Married Him by Tracy Chevalier (19%)

Paperback: The Persephone Book of Short Stories (page 175/477)

Paperback: Diary of a Provincial Lady by E. M. Delafield (page 102/300)

Hardback: Storm in a Teacup by Helen Czerski (page 154/291)

Audiobook: David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (36 hours 36 mins, 24 hours 8 mins remaining)

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Current reading status

Paperback: Diary of a Provincial Lady by E. M. Delafield (finished)

Audiobook: David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (36 hours 36 mins, 16 hours 43 mins remaining)

Been spending a lot of time with DC on lately, so I'm over halfway through the book now - not exactly a cheerful listen though!

I couldn't wait any longer to re-read DoaPL, and I've savoured it over the last few days.  Just as funny as I remember it and in a beautiful Persephone edition to boot.  Loved it.  

Not sure what I'm going to read next, as I'm trying to get through all my physical books first, and nothing particularly jumping out at me.  Might pick up SiaT again today to see if I can finish it by the end of the weekend so that I won't have to carry the big hardback in my bag to work for lunchtime reading. :D

Current reading status

Audiobook: David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (36 hours 36 mins, 16 hours 43 mins remaining)

Read Scarlet and Ivy: The Lost Twin by Sophie Cleverly yesterday, which was a middle grade mystery set in the 1930s, but I'm not sure the period setting was quite right, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Current reading status

Paperback: The Persephone Book of Short Stories (page 240/477)

Audiobook: David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (36 hours 36 mins, 2 hours 40 mins remaining)

Decided to go back to TPBoSS again, and have read four more great stories today.  DC is moving on apace too, and I'm less than three hours from the end now.  After a pretty depressing opening two thirds, it is starting to get a bit more hopeful towards the end!

Current reading status

Paperback: The Persephone Book of Short Stories (page 303/477)

Audiobook: David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (finished)

Audiobook: Summer at Shell Cottage by Lucy Diamond (0:25/13:17)

I finished DC!  It was a whopper, but with Richard Armitage narrating, it wasn't a chore ... if only he could have read it to me in person.:giggle2: 

Read a whole bunch more short stories from TPBoSS but I'm going to take a break from it, as I'd like to go back to a novel now.  Not sure what I'll read next, but there's plenty to chose from my TBR. :yes: 

Current reading status

Kindle: The Go-Between by L. P. Hartley (page 143/262)

Audiobook: Summer at Shell Cottage by Lucy Diamond (4:43/13:17)

Have had a couple of extremely busy days at work including a late night, so haven't read much until today.  Decided to go back to TG-B and see if I can finish the English Counties challenge books.  I'm obviously in a much better frame of mind for it today than when I first started as I'm already over halfway through. Will be concentrating on that tomorrow and hoping I can finish it. :)

Current reading status

Kindle: The Go-Between by L. P. Hartley (finished)

Audiobook: Summer at Shell Cottage by Lucy Diamond (4:43/13:17)

I finished TG-B yesterday evening.  That's two milestones for me, the end of the English Counties challenge, and my one hundredth book of the year. :yahoo: A cause for celebration ... I might treat myself to a new book! :giggle2:

Not sure what to read next, but want to try and reduce the list above, so I might go back to either SiaT or TPBoSS.  Or maybe both.  Or maybe neither! :lol: 

A hundred books to date this year is pretty phenomenal, but particular congratulations on finishing the English County Challenge.  How appropriate to do it with your hundredth book!  :):):)

(I'm looking forward to your comments on/review of the challenge now you've finished - favourite?  least favourite? etc etc!).

Edited by willoyd

19 hours ago, willoyd said:

A hundred books to date this year is pretty phenomenal, but particular congratulations on finishing the English County Challenge.  How appropriate to do it with your hundredth book!  :):):)

(I'm looking forward to your comments on/review of the challenge now you've finished - favourite?  least favourite? etc etc!).

6 hours ago, Nollaig said:

Congrats on finishing the English Counties Challenge! :D

14 minutes ago, Little Pixie said:

Fantastic ! Well done ! :D

Thank you all. :)  I will get around to writing up all my reviews on the books I've missed so far, and then I'll do a round up of my favourites and least favourites too.  It might be a while as things are happening in real life that mean I don't have much time or energy to think about that sort of thing at the moment, and I'm just escaping into reading more books.

Current reading status

Kindle: The Long and Short of It by Jodi Taylor (finished)

Paperback: The Persephone Book of Short Stories (finished)

Paperback: Cream Buns and Crime by Robin Stevens (finished)

Hardback: Storm in a Teacup by Helen Czerski (finished)

Audiobook: Summer at Shell Cottage by Lucy Diamond (5:35/13:17)

The last couple of days has involved a lot of sitting and waiting, so I've been reading most of the time as a bit of escapism.  I've finished two books I was over halfway through - SiaT and TPBoSS, found a paperback I'd forgotten I'd bought and read that - Cream Buns and Crime and then (re)read the short stories in The Long and Short of It by Jodi Taylor which was a collection of St. Mary's short stories that I'd read before, but with one new one too.  A nice precursor to reading the newest St. Mary's book coming out on Thursday, which I've preordered.

Not sure what I'm going to read next, but nothing too taxing!

Congratulations on finishing the ECC Claire! I have seven to go and hoping to get it done by the end of the year. 

I took a break from St Mary's after not liking the ending to the last one I read (I have A Trail Through Time on my TBR as the next unread one, so a few to go) but I am getting tempted back in!

Current reading status

Kindle: The Second Chance Café in Carlton Square by Lily Bartlett (finished)

Hardback: Landskipping by Anna Pavord (175/220 pages)

Audiobook: Summer at Shell Cottage by Lucy Diamond (5:35/13:17)

Fell off the wagon and bought a lot of books, Kindle ones mostly at bargain prices, and some comfort shopping in the bookshop yesterday (it's got to be better than comfort eating, right?).  Not felt quite so much like reading the past couple of days, but have still managed the odd bit here and there.

Current reading status

Paperback: Lockwood & Co: The Whispering Skull by Jonathan Stroud (32/470 pages)

Hardback: Landskipping by Anna Pavord (finished)

Audiobook: Summer at Shell Cottage by Lucy Diamond (finished)

After a week away from books for the most part, I've managed to do some reading again today.  I've finished Landskipping today, and listened to the end of SaSC yesterday afternoon.  Out to pick up some shopping today, I stopped in Waterstone's for a quick browse, and came away with a signed copy of Autumn by Ali Smith, so I absolutely could not walk away without buying it. :smile2: 

Current reading status

Kindle: Ash & Quill by Rachel Caine (5%)

Paperback: Lockwood & Co: The Whispering Skull by Jonathan Stroud (finished)

Finished L&C:TWS this afternoon.  Genuinely creepy ghost hunter tale with a group of teenage agents uncovering the mystery of an unofficial grave.

Current reading status

Kindle: Ash and Quill by Rachel Caine (60%)

Audiobook: Gilded Cage by Vic James (26 mins/11hrs 52mins)

Really enjoying reading AaQ and can't wait to finish it.  I think there are seven books planned in the series, so I know it's not the end of the story when I get to the end of the book, but I really like Rachel Caine's storytelling, so I don't mind having to wait for the next instalment.  Also started listening to a new audiobook, and @Michelle has been recommending Vic James, so I decided to try GC. :)

When you've finished Ash and Quill could you tell me if it ends on a big cliffhanger? I honestly thought it was a trilogy and bought all three books in the series, but I am not good with cliffhangers, so if it ends on a huge cliffhanger I'd rather wait until the whole series is out.

I hope you enjoy the rest of Ash and Quill and the other books you're reading :).

Current reading status

Kindle: Ash and Quill by Rachel Caine (finished)

Audiobook: Gilded Cage by Vic James (37 mins/11hrs 52mins)

Finished AaQ this morning.  I love this YA series, it's a fantastic quest in a world where the Great Library controls all the books in the world. Unfortunately, I don't know when the next one will be published, but I'm guessing it'll be at least next year. @Athena, it does end on a cliffhanger - all the books in the series have so far.

1 hour ago, chesilbeach said:

Finished AaQ this morning.  I love this YA series, it's a fantastic quest in a world where the Great Library controls all the books in the world. Unfortunately, I don't know when the next one will be published, but I'm guessing it'll be at least next year. @Athena, it does end on a cliffhanger - all the books in the series have so far.

I'm glad you enjoyed the third book :)! Thanks Chesil, that's helpful to know :).

Current reading status 

Kindle: The Big Dreams Beach Hotel by Lilly Bartlett (finished) 

Kindle: Madam, Will You Talk? by Mary Stewart (105/360 pages)

Audiobook: Gilded Cage by Vic James (52 mins/11hrs 52mins)

Really, really enjoying M,WYT?  It's the first book I've read by this author but I'm sure it won't be the last.

Current reading status 

Paperback: Look At Me by Anita Brookner (page 21/192)

Audiobook: Gilded Cage by Vic James (3hrs 9mins/11hrs 52mins)

Away for the week last week, and I managed to read eight books in total:

Madam, Will You Talk by Mary Stewart (new author to me writing mystery/thriller books - will definitely read more)

At the Edge of the Orchard by Tracy Chevalier (Good, but not as good as her best for me)

The Big Little Wedding in Carlton Square by Lilly Bartlett (aka Michele Gorman, fun romcom)

The House at the Edge of the World by Julia Rochester (Unexpected, but very good. Kept me captivated to the very end)

Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders (Shortlisted for Man Booker Prize this week.  Personally, I found it tiresome, and not my cup of tea at all)

Summer at the Comfort Food Café by Debbie Johnson (bought in Kindle sale - good romcom, loved that it was set in Dorset on my beloved Chesil Beach!)

Christmas at the Comfort Food Café by Debbie Johnson (follow up to above book, again, Dorset setting, yay!)

Bought and started LAM today, as it's the next Anita Brookner on the list of all her books in order that I want to read, and also being discussed on my favourite book podcast (Backlisted) on Monday, and wanted to read before I listen to the discussion. :)

50 minutes ago, chesilbeach said:

Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders (Shortlisted for Man Booker Prize this week.  Personally, I found it tiresome, and not my cup of tea at all)

About par for the course with the Man Booker for me then!  It's favourite to win too.

The House at the Edge of the World looks intriguing though.

(8 books in one week, that's going some!).

Edited by willoyd

18 minutes ago, willoyd said:

About par for the course with the Man Booker for me then!  It's favourite to win too.

The House at the Edge of the World looks intriguing though.

(8 books in one week, that's going some!).

I know what you mean about the Man Booker - I rarely take much notice of it.  I know I talk about Backlisted a lot, but they talked about Lincoln in the Bardo and it was on offer on Kindle for 99p, so I thought I'd give it a go.  I've got Autumn by Ali Smith (also shortlisted) and Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie (long listed but didn't make the shortlist) to read too, but that's because the first is Ali Smith and she's my favourite :D and the second because she's doing a talk with Ali Smith locally in November and I'm going along, so I thought it was only polite to have read the books they're talking about before I go! :lol: