Diane's Reading List - 2017

Inver

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Harry the Poisonous Centipede' by Lynne Reid Banks

Not a grown up book but I was recommending it to someone on Facebook re books for ~7/8yr old grandson and this one came to mine and Kenny still has his copy, so I decided to read it...took me back to when we read stories to our boys.

Harry is a centipede and lives with his mother Belinda in the tunnels underground. He isn't very brave and his friend George is always tempting him in to being more adventurous, but sometimes this gets them in to bother. They know the shouldn't do naughty things they have been warned about by Belinda....like not to go Up the Up Pipe...and beware of and keep away from Hoo-Mins. It is a lovley wee read and I enjoyed it in a fun way, full of 'squirmy' fun. Was nice to go back to a childhood favourite of my boys when growing up.

4/5

• 2 weeks later...

'Between Sisters' by Cathy Kelly

I can't remember if I have read any Cathy Kelly before. My sister gave me the book. I mostly enjoyed this easy read about Cassie and Coco. Being brought up by their grandmother, Pearl, after there mother leaves them when they were very young. Cassie remembers her mother but Coco (hated this name) was just a baby. But eventually we find out why she left. Cassie is married with a husband and two daughters and Coco is single and runs a vintage clothes shop0. The book deals with everyday life, families, break ups, romance and second chances, friendships, alcoholism. Lots of characters to remember and at times I found it a little to long and drawn out with not much happening. Of the two sisters I liked Coco (despite the name). It had a good enough end if a tad predictable.

3/5

I've read The Perfect Holiday by Cathy Kelly, a novella, which I liked. I've been meaning to read something else by her (a novel) but haven't done so yet. I own a couple of her books but I don't think I own Between Sisters. I'm glad you enjoyed it :).

On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 2:03 PM, chesilbeach said:

Thank you from me too! I'm using it as a bookmark now :smile2:

@chesilbeach....lovely...

On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 8:20 PM, Janet said:

Me too!  :yes: 

@Janet....lovely...

' A Week in Paris' by Rachel Hore

The title ' A Week in Paris' sounds like a read that would draw you in completely for the title, but I have to say it was a little disappointing and I felt a little too long. Two characters, Kitty, who enrols in the Conservatoire, 1937 to hopefully become a concert pianist. War breaks out and she finds herself torn whether to stay with her husband or take her and her child back home to England. She stays. Fay, 25 years later, doesn't have many memories of her childhood and now playing in a orchestra herself, is performing in Paris. Ideal opportunity to find out more of what happened when she was living there with her mother. Circumstances from home push her to find out more with some secrets uncovered that her mother has never told her about....why? She manages to trace the past and discovers truths.

There was a lot of historical references to what went on in Paris during this time which I found quite interesting, but at times the story was a little flat and I felt I wanted more, but not quite sure what.

3/5

• 4 weeks later...

'Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop of Dreams' by Jenny Colgan.

Enjoyed the 'sweetie references' at the beginning of each chapter, but other than that a very ordinary, non taxing read. Sweetie shop, aged Aunt Lilian, Angie the daughter, asks, Rosie the great niece to go and look after her after illness. Shop potentially needs put up for sale. Rosie settles in, spruces up the shop, reopens, gets to know the locals etc. Didn't find the love interest very engaging. Not without its ups and downs but a bit predictable how it was going to end and a bit too 'sweet' for me.

2/5

Edited by Inver

Oh, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it so much, Diane.  I think I probably over egg my enthusiasm for Jenny Colgan at times, but I do find them great escapism and the romance is usually a side order to the main dish of women finding a better life style for themselves. :)

• 4 weeks later...

'The Nightingale' by Kristin Hannah

Wow! I don't know why I haven't read this wonderful book sooner....recommended so many times by bookie friends. A totally riveting but heart wrenching read....sisters Isabelle and Vianne, two different characters who have to come through the atrocities of war and a France occupied by Nazi in WWII. A well researched and quite harrowing read in parts. I was near to tears on a few occasions. Where people reached for the strength to survive in these times of war is beyond me, but they did. A time of loss and pain for both sisters. Separated and not knowing what is happening to the other. Isabelle a headstrong, independent woman who wants to help France and Vianne, surviving at home with her child but also dealing with Nazi billeting in her home. Will they both survive?

Kristin's writing had a way of making you feel almost exactly how the characters were feeling. Towards the end I was feeling a bit uncomfortable about how humans can treat each other so horribly, but that unfortunately that is the way of war.

Totally recommend this book ( @chaliepud....sorry it took so long to get to this book, but thank you for recommending it)

5/5

On 14 July 2017 at 4:36 PM, Inver said:

'The Nightingale' by Kristin Hannah

Wow! I don't know why I haven't read this wonderful book sooner....recommended so many times by bookie friends. A totally riveting but heart wrenching read....sisters Isabelle and Vianne, two different characters who have to come through the atrocities of war and a France occupied by Nazi in WWII. A well researched and quite harrowing read in parts. I was near to tears on a few occasions. Where people reached for the strength to survive in these times of war is beyond me, but they did. A time of loss and pain for both sisters. Separated and not knowing what is happening to the other. Isabelle a headstrong, independent woman who wants to help France and Vianne, surviving at home with her child but also dealing with Nazi billeting in her home. Will they both survive?

Kristin's writing had a way of making you feel almost exactly how the characters were feeling. Towards the end I was feeling a bit uncomfortable about how humans can treat each other so horribly, but that unfortunately that is the way of war.

Totally recommend this book ( @chaliepud....sorry it took so long to get to this book, but thank you for recommending it)

5/5

You're very welcome, Diane, how lucky that we enjoy similar books! :) 

• 4 weeks later...

'House Rules' by Jodi Picoult

A while since I've read a Jodi Picoult again, so gave this one a go. Asperger's being the main topic this time. The usually scenario of mother trying to good by her children, whether guilty or not. A situation occurs that points the finger of guilt at her son Jacob, but did he do it? Although obviously well researched regarding the Asperger's syndrome I did find this book very repetitive and could well have been shorter and the conclusion reached sooner. I so wanted the accused to just tell them what happened by the end and then I wasn't quite sure about the ending! In my mind I knew what the outcome would be but found the ending a bit untidy.

2/5

@Athena.....it was an ok read, but I'm finding here reads a bit samey now. Maybe I have just tired myself of her books. I've read other people feeling the same too. so not just me.

@chaliepud ......So....the postie man left me a wee bookie shaped parcel :exc:through the letter box today. I know I hadn't ordered/swapped a book with anyone. I have the most generous bookie friends. Thanking you Hayley again for the nice surprise and I can say I haven't read this one but I have read all her others and enjoyed them.

'The Little Pieces for You and Me' by Vanessa Greene.

Edited by Inver

2 hours ago, Inver said:

@Athena.....it was an ok read, but I'm finding here reads a bit samey now. Maybe I have just tired myself of her books. I've read other people feeling the same too. so not just me.

Sorry to hear that, it's true that some of her books have quite a few similarities. I hope you will get on better with other authors :).

2 hours ago, Inver said:

@chaliepud ......So....the postie man left me a wee bookie shaped parcel :exc:through the letter box today. I know I hadn't ordered/swapped a book with anyone. I have the most generous bookie friends. Thanking you Hayley again for the nice surprise and I can say I haven't read this one but I have read all her others and enjoyed them.

'The Little Pieces for You and Me' by Vanessa Greene.

What a nice surprise! I hope you enjoy this one :).

• 3 weeks later...

'The Forgotten Summer' by Carol Drinkwater

I kept this one for my holiday read this year and thoroughly enjoyed being whisked away to France to the vineyards and olive trees. Carol writes about these subjects with such detail (I was taken back to The Olive Farm series...). I loved the characters and the twists in the storyline of past and present in the sun drenched Provence...although I wanted to shake Clarisse at times. When tragedy strikes Jane's beloved Luc she has to make decisions on how the future lies, whether it be in helping keep Luc's beloved vineyards going or go back to England. If Clarisse (Luc's mother) had her way she wouldn't let her have anything to do with it. When she is sifting through all Luc's files etc. she comes upon secrets he was keeping from her....and there lies a plot and how can she fine out the truth,but you will have to read the book to find out more.

All in all I enjoyed this as my holiday read...thank you Carol.

4/5

• 2 weeks later...

'Song of the Skylark' by Erica James

What a lovely read this was. Going between past and present....Clarissa and Lizzie, years apart in age but are brought together when Lizzie's mother gets her to volunteer at the care home she helps works at.

Lizzie befriends Clarissa (95) and she begins to ask Clarissa about her past. She opens up and there the tale begins of how she sailed from America over to the UK at the age of 19 and how she made friends on board with Artie, Ellis, Effie, Betty. Once she arrives in England she seeks out her grandparents and there she stays. Her life totally different to what she has left and takes us up to and through WWII. She persuades her grandparents to take in two young boys torn apart from their parents due to the war. Clarissa remembers all the details of their lives through this trying time and how she still kept in touch with her friends she made. Everyone struggles through war time and not without love and losses, but they find strength to carry on.

Lizzie has her problems too, but through her friendship with Clarissa she begins to see the error of her ways with guidance from her new friend. She comes to see that her future may take a different route and a more steady paced lifestyle could be just what she needs. Her family are there for support and she is loving helping out with her nephew, Freddie.

I loved all the characters and the friendship of young and old was gently merged and became very special to both. The ending was inevitable but done in a very touching way and brought a tear to my eye. There were no loose ends as Lizzie and family had their own neat conclusion.

4/5