2009 - 47
2010 - 43
2011 - 61
2012 - 61
2013 - 69
2014 - 62
2015 - 59
2016 - 47

My adventures in graphic novels and comics can be found here, started 2016.

1. Strange The Dreamer by Laini Taylor
2. Battle Royale by Koushun Takami
3. The Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan
4. The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher (audio)
5. The Tropic of Serpents by Marie Brennan

6. Who Let the Gods Out by Maz Evans

7. The New Hunger by Isaac Marion

8. Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher (audio)

9. Doctor Who:Engines of War by George Mann (audio)

10. A Conjuring of Light by VE Schwab

11. The Burning World by Isaac Marion

12. The Nightwalker by Sebastian Fitzek

13. Doctor Who: Night of the Whisper (audio)

14. Torchwood: The Conspiracy (audio)

15. Ink by Alice Broadway

16. Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer

17. Girlhood by Cat Clark

18. Alien - River of Pain (audio)

19. Aliens by Alan Dean Foster (audio)

20. Doing It: Let's Talk About Sex by Hannah Witton

21. Genesis by Bernard Beckett (audio)

22. John Wyndham: A BBC Radio Drama Selection (audio)

23. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

24. Alien 3 by Alan Dean Foster (audio)

25. The Hatching by Ezekiel Boone (audio)

26. Skitter by Ezekiel Boone (audio)

27. Dead Men Can't Complain and Other Stories by Peter Clines (audio)

28. Mad Girl by Bryony Gordon

29. Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky (audio)

30. I Am Behind You by John Ajvide Lindqvist

31. The Gender Games by Juno Dawson

32. Lost Boy by Christina Henry

33. Alien Rain by Ruth Morgan

34. There's Someone Inside Your House by Stephanie Perkins

35. The Explorer by James Smythe

36. 13 Days of Midnight by Leo Hunt

37. Otherworld by Jason Segel and Kirsten Miller

38. The Loneliest Girl in the Universe by Lauren James

39. Alone by Scott Sigler (audio)

40. Monster by Michael Grant

41. The Last Days of Jack Sparks by Jason Arnopp

42. Gone by Michael Grant

43. Understanding the Mysteries of Human Behaviour (audio)

44. The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris (audio)

45. The Other Side of History: Daily Life in the Ancient World (audio)

46. Invasive by Chuck Wendig (audio)

47. Guts: The Anatomy of The Walking Dead by Paul Vigna

48. I Still Dream by James Smythe

49. Shadow of the Minotaur by Alan Gibbons

50. Below Zero by Dan Smith

51. Christmas Dinner of Souls by Ross Montgomery

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's quite interesting to see how my numbers vary so much year to year! I know 2016 suffered from quite a few unfinished books, plus I spent time early in the year with graphic novels... which I hope to get back to at some point this year.

I also posted on Facebook about not buying any books in 2017.. and the responses were basically 'nope, it won't happen'! It made me laugh.. my friends know me well! However, it is something I'm going to work hard on. I had a very harsh sort of my books the other day, giving away some which I had bought, but know in all honesty that I won't get around to. I have a TBR pile of around 45, so I should be able to work my way through those if I don't buy anything else. So, I'm not promising no new books, but I'm going to try very hard! 

Ok.. I have two on the go at the moment, which I will continue into 2017.. the first is my early copy of Strange The Dreamer by Laini Taylor - I hadn't read her earlier series, despite it sitting on my wish list, so I wasn't sure what to expect. My first reaction was that I love her writing style, and her world building. I'm really enjoying the book, but it's a long one, which I don't often go for, so I'm taking a short break before finishing it. 

The reason for the break was that I decided to buy the latest 'remastered' version of Battle Royale. I don't know much about the differences, although an amazon reviewer says that the original had some grammar errors, and this one reads better. It's very readable, and once I started it, it rather tore my attention from Strange the Dreamer. They're very different books, so as I go into 2017, I shall be flicking between the two depending on my mood!  :)

Has anyone read the original version of Battle Royale.. did you notice any errors or issues? And has anyone actually read both? Plus.. any Laini Taylor fans on here?

I've recently gotten into graphic novels... have you heard of Guy Delisle? He is a Canadian artist that travels through "hermit kingdoms" like North Korea (I'm reading Burma Chronicles now). I'm curious to hear how you liked Locke & Key.

Happy New Year :)

Have a great reading year in 2017, Michelle!

Can't say I have read a huge number of graphic novels. I read The Stand a few months ago and absolutely loved it, and I plan on getting The Dark Tower series too, but they are so pricey (especially if illustrated in colour). I also have The Walking Dead: Compendium 1 on my bookshelf, which I read when I first started watching the TV series. I think reading and watching them at the same time kind of spoiled it for me because I was too busy comparing it to the TV show to enjoy it on it's on merits (and from what I recall it is very different than the TV series).

A TBR list of 45 books - that's not too bad! AndI wouldn't feel guilty about buying books this year - sometimes you just can't pass them by! :D

I've recently gotten into graphic novels... have you heard of Guy Delisle? He is a Canadian artist that travels through "hermit kingdoms" like North Korea (I'm reading Burma Chronicles now). I'm curious to hear how you liked Locke & Key.

I haven't.. I shall take a look. As for Locke and Key, I loved it.. it's my second favourite after The Sandman series. It's a really unusual story, with a unique artistic style. I'm very happy owning the box set. 

Can't say I have read a huge number of graphic novels. I read The Stand a few months ago and absolutely loved it, and I plan on getting The Dark Tower series too, but they are so pricey (especially if illustrated in colour). I also have The Walking Dead: Compendium 1 on my bookshelf, which I read when I first started watching the TV series. I think reading and watching them at the same time kind of spoiled it for me because I was too busy comparing it to the TV show to enjoy it on it's on merits (and from what I recall it is very different than the TV series).

A TBR list of 45 books - that's not too bad! AndI wouldn't feel guilty about buying books this year - sometimes you just can't pass them by! :D

I've started The Stand, and yes I like it. I agree very much as well that it's an expensive way of reading! I did get some from my library, but they're quite limited. I also agree with The Walking Dead - you need to separate the two as to not get confused.. and yet at the same time it's really interesting to see the differences and similarities. What worked for me was to go back to the beginning of the compendiums when the TV series was quite a way through. I actually read all 3 compendiums, which took me just beyond the existing point of the show, but it worked ok.

Yep, my TBR isn't too bad, but the point is that it was much higher, but when I went through there were plenty I'd bought and now no longer really felt drawn to. I'm glad I can pass them on to others, but it's a shame that I've spent the money on them. So I need to be much more careful this year!

The brutal cull was needed.. I was opening cupboards and nearly being buried alive by books falling out! I had to be very honest with myself over which books I really wasn't going to read. I also got rid of quite a few read books which I'd been hanging on to.. it was a shame to keep them tucked away, so I decided it was best to share them with others instead! :)

I've tried culling my 'to read' books in the past but I just find it so difficult to actually get rid of them!  Well done for getting your pile down to 45 - that's quite manageable I should think.  And good luck with buying fewer (I shan't say no!) books in 2017.  :)